NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

OKC gets Taj Gibson and Doug McDerMott from the Bulls for Anthony Morrow and Joffrey Lauverne... Raptors trade Jared Sullinger and picks to Phoenix for P.J. Tucker.

According to Woj and The Vertical, Celtics have no deals and are "standing pat". I know there was talk of PG or Butler, but I was hoping they'd snag Drummond for rebounds and some rim protection. Ainge ain't gonna let go of those picks.

Edited by Tyrone

I think they could've got more for Nerlens if they traded him earlier but I don't mind the trade. Nerlens would've wanted max money and he would've been a back up here, so they had to get what they could for him instead of letting walk for nothing.

32 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

OKC gets Taj Gibson and Doug McDerMott from the Bulls for Anthony Morrow and Joffrey Lauverne... Raptors trade Jared Sullinger and picks to Phoenix for P.J. Tucker.

According to Woj and The Vertical, Celtics have no deals and are "standing pat". I know there was talk of PG or Butler, but I was hoping they'd snag Drummond for rebounds and some rim protection. Ainge ain't gonna let go of those picks.

Bulls also got Cameron Payne

8 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Should be a better player than Domantas off the bat, but there's little upside about Taj and Domantas is only 20 and I feel has a bunch of upside if given time.

I dunno who OKC would give up for Gibson, but I don't know if it is worth giving up young prospects for a playoff run where there's little chance for the Thunder to move into the finals.

Taj is a really good P&R defender but isn't a rim protector. I was hoping the Wolves would take a run at him or pick him up at the end of the season as a FA. He should work well with Kanter since he can pick up some of the D.

NY and their fans are delusional. 'Rubio is an old 26 because of his previous injury history', 'umm you're trying to trade Rose'. 'Yes well Rose is a better scorer' 'actually he has a lower TS% and is below league average from everywhere on the court besides a few mid-range spots, he just takes more shots, which when you can't shoot isn't actually desirable', 'well Rose is expiring so you should give us stuff for the salary dump' 'umm we have Pek's contract about to come off the books and we aren't a FA destination so don't need a ton of cap space'. 'Plz can we have Rubio, Bjelica and a pick for Rose anyway?' 'no', 'fine how about Rose for Rubio straight up' 'also no, now piss off'.

Having said all that I wish Rubio was expiring so he could get away from Jabba the Hutt. I fucking loathe Thibs.

Rumours floating around that D-Will is going to get a buy-out so he can chase a ring with the Cavs, because they can't find anything valuable enough for him. Leaving the PG spot to rookie Yogi Ferrell, who came in on a bloody 10 day and set a rookie record of threes in a game during that 10-day

7 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Rumours floating around that D-Will is going to get a buy-out so he can chase a ring with the Cavs, because they can't find anything valuable enough for him. Leaving the PG spot to rookie Yogi Ferrell, who came in on a bloody 10 day and set a rookie record of threes in a game during that 10-day

They aren't rumours, it's pretty much confirmed although is being waived, not bought out. The rumour is that Bogut is also going to Cleveland.

4 minutes ago, damshow said:

I hate these late season veterans lobbying their ways to title contender moves.

Also Philly got completely hosed in the Noel trade. But I assume they didn't have a good negotiating position. Everyone knew they had to trade him so they got a lot of lowball offers.

I can only imagine the offers for Okafor if they went with Noel being traded instead.

1 minute ago, Quom said:

I can only imagine the offers for Okafor if they went with Noel being traded instead.

Yeah I'm curious what they looked like. You'd have to offer a lot more for him than Noel because he's only in his 2nd year, so it's possible there was a better haul for Okafor but they valued him more highly.

Just now, damshow said:

Yeah I'm curious what they looked like. You'd have to offer a lot more for him than Noel because he's only in his 2nd year, so it's possible there was a better haul for Okafor but they valued him more highly.

I wouldn't have thought so. Okafor is extremely one dimensional in a skill that's largely dead (post ups) and from what I can gather has shown little to no progress in any other area (especially defence) whereas lots of teams could do with a hyper defensive rim protector. Okafor is projecting to be a bust whereas Noel has the ability to be a really solid guy to put next to an athletic scorer or a first off the bench that ensures your bench isn't bleeding points.

Only big issue I could see is if Noel said he wanted the max to stay. Even then I can't see too many teams spaffing too much money on him in his RFA anyway. He's going to need a year or two to prove himself.

19 minutes ago, damshow said:

I hate these late season veterans lobbying their ways to title contender moves.

I think the only reason this has happened is because the sudden appearance of Yogi Ferrell into the Dallas rotational mix. Bringing a game that even Carlisle (who fucking loves veterans) would prefer to put in the starting lineup over other more experienced choices. They see something in the kid that has future key player written all over him.

That has really made Deron Williams disposable as a player, because what D-Will brings Yogi has managed to bring in his 10 games for the Mavs too. And he's 'too big' to be put on the bench, when there is sparkplug JJ Barea and defensive option Devin Harris also on the roster.

Add to it that D-Will is in a contract year, and wants to compete for a title contender, it makes his trade value near useless. So they're cutting their losses and 'doing him a solid' because Cubes is really too nice at times, and letting him run off to Cleveland for nothing.

Honestly I'd rather get something for the guy, or not see him walk at all because he can still bring it when needed. But I know that this season is a wash, and that the Mavs are wheeling and dealing their way into a strong position for post-Dirk Dallas, and D-Will isn't going to stick around his hometown for mediocrity if he can chase rings in Cleveland.

I guess it's better for all parties involved. D-Will gets his glory hunt, Mavs get to focus on grooming Yogi for future stardom and fully commit to the youth movement.

Also, I guess this increases the odds of us making the playoffs, and that's the best way to profit completely off of the Noel trade, because Colangelo is incompetent.

6 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I think the only reason this has happened is because the sudden appearance of Yogi Ferrell into the Dallas rotational mix. Bringing a game that even Carlisle (who fucking loves veterans) would prefer to put in the starting lineup over other more experienced choices. They see something in the kid that has future key player written all over him.

That has really made Deron Williams disposable as a player, because what D-Will brings Yogi has managed to bring in his 10 games for the Mavs too. And he's 'too big' to be put on the bench, when there is sparkplug JJ Barea and defensive option Devin Harris also on the roster.

Add to it that D-Will is in a contract year, and wants to compete for a title contender, it makes his trade value near useless. So they're cutting their losses and 'doing him a solid' because Cubes is really too nice at times, and letting him run off to Cleveland for nothing.

Honestly I'd rather get something for the guy, or not see him walk at all because he can still bring it when needed. But I know that this season is a wash, and that the Mavs are wheeling and dealing their way into a strong position for post-Dirk Dallas, and D-Will isn't going to stick around his hometown for mediocrity if he can chase rings in Cleveland.

I guess it's better for all parties involved. D-Will gets his glory hunt, Mavs get to focus on grooming Yogi for future stardom and fully commit to the youth movement.

Also, I guess this increases the odds of us making the playoffs, and that's the best way to profit completely off of the Noel trade, because Colangelo is incompetent.

It's really shit for the league though and I'm annoyed it wasn't something handled in the CBA. It has been going on a for a few years now. The only thing that makes me happy is that normally it doesn't end up working out (like Kevin Martin crying until we let him go then signing with the Spurs).

• Like 1