NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

28 minutes ago, damshow said:

Does he qualify for the stupidly loaded Kobe, Duncan, Garnett HOF class or have to wait another year?

I was going to say 'no', but it appears that eligibility for the Naismith HOF is indeed 4 years of retirement. Whilst the Hockey/NFL hall of fames are based on years since last game played / being Mario Lemieux.

Allen might still be inducted in 2 years time though, depending on whether or not they counted his non-playing in 14/15 and 15/16 as part of his retirement... But most likely they're gonna combine him with KG. And Paul Pierce getting inducted a year later.

If him hitting a three is a Triple Dekker, that's sure to be an Upper Dekker...

Anyways, Mavs have gone 0-4 for the first time since 2006/2007... And we really need to find some fucking consistency, you know, between Wes Matthews scoring a lot by chucking like a madman, and JJ Barea being more cold than hot, and Dirk only being able to do so much at his age.

I mean it's kind of a surprise because of Carlisle being able to get something out of nothing. But nearly everyone on your roster is 3+ years on the wrong side of their prime and your starting roster isn't exactly filled with great defenders.

I get it, can't tank whilst Dirk is still around and stuff. But then expectations need to be changed to something akin to the Lakers last year. It needs to be about giving Dirk his swan song rather than actually expecting to win anything.

It's going to be one hell of a slog though. If you couldn't manage to sign marquee free agents when winning a chip wasn't a distant memory I have no idea how you'll manage to do it as a lottery team.

Timberwolves are so frustrating. Of the three games we've lost, we've been leading by 15+ points in all of them. Our third quarters continue to be just a total cluster fuck. We go from looking like a team that could make waves in the play-offs to looking like a D-League team. It's nonsensical because the collapse is happening with the starters on the court. It's like the entire team gets shitfaced drunk at half-time. 

Pretty much all what you said. Aside from Bogut and Matthews, there are no guys on the roster that are a plus-defender, and between the two of them only Wes can be expected to bring a full game of defensive grit. And even then, his left achilles has affected his game more than anyone would admit, which will no doubt affect him more and more as he goes through his prime years.

And if Wes keeps shooting like this, all his efforts on defensive are pretty much useless.
Then there's Justin Anderson, who has all the potential in being just like Wes Matthews, but he's a good 2-3 years away before being regarded as a potential starter.

On the upside, Harrison Barnes has shown that he can score in an efficient manner, and also get rebounds. And right now the big hope is that having to score on the Mavs will bring out an all-star upside, one that hopefully gives us a star player once Dirk truly hangs up his sneakers. But we had the same hope for Chandler Parsons, who sadly never got further than being a poor man's Gordon Hayward.

I really think the organisation is at a turning point, but due to having to retool and never landing a truly big fish, we lack any and all sorts of trading power. So the team has rolled into the same position the Brooklyn Nets where in a few years ago, having starters who are in their primes, and a star that's effectively there until he himself wishes to retire.
And really, I love Dirk, and I never want to see the guy retire, ever. But he and the organization must realize that the hope of a second ring is a massive pipedream, in a conference that boasts the ageless Spurs, the big four Warriors, and a Westbrook led Thunder.

I feel its time to stop retooling the roster on a season-by-season basis, and start looking for the future. By both looking to attain picks, and going hard in acquiring flexible players that can ball and also be shopped around.

The rebuild is gonna be painful after holding it off for 4 years, but its truly time to build to a team after Dirk.

We'll give you a heart attack for the first half. We've been 15+ points up in every game. You'll love our third quarter, it's a thing of fucking beauty where nobody tries for 8 1/2 minutes. I'd be amazed if we give you too much to worry about, with Rubio out I'd imagine Dunn will be covering Westbrook which will be a baptism by fire. He's getting lots of steals but also turning the ball over a heap.

GSW just looked really, really complacent. Like there was zero effort. It didn't even look like fatigue, more that they just didn't care.