NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

The NBA and NBPA have accepted a new 7 year cba to start after this season.

One rumoured addition is that teams will get a 16th and 17th roster spot, exclusively to be used for D-League assignments. And with more teams setting up their own D-League team, we're getting closer to a 30/30 developmental system where teams can focus on developing their own talents without the fear of other teams signing them away from under them once they start performing.

23 minutes ago, damshow said:

It's long overdue we have a proper development pipeline for the NBA. But something that needs to come with it is the end of the one-and-done in college hoops. Good high school talent can play in the D-League against the same or better level of competition as they would in college.

Well there are rumours going that the NCAA would also like to get a different setup than the current one-and-done players coming in, doing their alotted time, and then moving to the NBA or other pro leagues to make money. And both viewership and quality of play has gone down quite a bit since the 1&D system got made, with many of the top colleges having a yearly toss-around of their players.

And I can't blame the players either, who aren't allowed to make a single dollar through their basketball, lest they want to give up their eligibility. And those 30-40 games are done at great risk, because if they get injured their scholarships vanish and they'll have fuck all to show for their talent.

Personally, I feel NCAA registered players need to be getting a decent stipend, especially if you see the money that the colleges and NCAA are raking in with college sports. I also feel that scholarships should be final, that in the case of injury the player can get a degree. It's shocking that these players, playing a high level of competition, of which their teams and league are making billions off of are completely unpaid for their efforts.

Once they fix the NCAA, they'll fix many of their ails too. Let players play NCAA who want to go the full 3-4 years and get that degree, and let those kids that are purely in it for pro ball go pro once they turn 18. This facade isn't helping anyone.

2 hours ago, GLORIOUS Szumi said:

Craig Sager passed away :(

Fucking fuck, this is the worst fucking year. Craig was such a great guy, it's so hard to picture an NBA without him as the sideline reporter. Even during his sickness he was there doing his best.

Man, can't this fucking year let up already?

I just hope he has gone to a better place, away from the cancer. And can truly rest in peace, because the world has lost a great man.

Edited by Jasonmufc

The Rockets have been so much better than I expected them to be. Gordon and Anderson are consistently shooting the lights out (wish they'd have done it in NOLA) and Harden - who I must admit I've never been too high on - is my MVP so far, just edging out Westbrook. He's been a great scorer as expected, but he's adjusted perfectly to being the PG and getting everyone involved. I don't think the D'Antoni system will hold up for them in the playoffs, but they'll get high seeding in the West brackets.

In other news, the collapse of the Bulls has been almost comical. They scored 69 last night against the Bucks at home!

Edited by Tyrone

I've never understood why the Shammgod isn't used more. It's one of the least athletic/easy to do cross-overs and yet is stupidly effective since it's easy to make the direction change with no risk of breaking your own ankles. It's like the pump fake of cross-overs. 

• Like 1