Sign in to follow this  
Jasonmufc

NBA 2K17

So this game released worldwide 2 days ago, and apparently according to the reviews it is p. gud. And most importantly, no Spike Lee in the career mode.

Some changes & additions
- 2016/1992 USA Mens Basketball Team
- 2016 Australian Mens Basketball Team
- 'Living' Arenas, unique sounds and looks of all the 30 different NBA courts.
- 'Dynamic Commentary' with Chris Webber, Steve Smith, Brent Barry, Clark Kellogg, and Doris Burke alternating as third commentator.
- David Aldridge new sideline reporter, replacing Doris Burke.
- MyCareer interviews with EJ/Shaq/Kenny
- More coaching animations and clips during timeouts
- Face scanning now available on PC
- Improved physics and animation, no more 'canned' animations.
- Better ball physics.
- No more ghost limbs, balls will react to all limbs and no longer ghost through whenever the AI pleases. (better hitboxes)

- MyLeague/MyGM expansion teams, to a maximum of 36 teams, with Draft Lotteries and expansion drafts.
- Start MyGM/MyLeague from the off-season.
- Jersey retirements in MyLeague/MyGM
- Rotation Timelines, to finetune exact rotations between all four quarters. (Keep your clutch players in late when they play less early on.)
- MyLeague/MyGM 'Dynamic Rule Changes', to alter certain rules on a yearly basis.
- Team Rivals in MyLeague/MyGM, to slowly build new rivalries between teams as they face each other in playoffs and clutch games.

- New MyCareer story starring Michael B. Jordan. Allowing you once more to play in College, and also to play for Team USA.
- Dynamic Duo, a new chemistry system where two players with great chemistry improve each other when they're on court. (e.g. Klay/Curry)
- More 'choice' and you're not railroaded into Spike Lee's vision of a Harlem kid with a black twin sister and black parents, even though your player is whiter than a carton of milk.

-- TL;DR, lots of shit changed.

It's also getting great reviews on the internet, with IGN giving it a 8.9, Polygon a 8.0, and a lot of others above the 90... So apparently it's p. gud.

Personally though, I'm not sure if I should get it just yet. I've already found it priced around 30 euros on keysites, but with the (pre-)season still a bit away, the chances of starting a legit MyGm/MyLeague with good rosters is a small one, since with training camps a lot of shit is going to no doubt happen.

Anyone here getting the game, or already got it? What are your opinions on this year's title?

This is the year I'm suppose to skip NBA and pick up NHL. But all those new things sound great, especially expansion drafts. I was just thinking yesterday how much I fun I use to have doing the expansion draft for the Texans on Madden years ago.

I pre-ordered it because it came with a dvd of last seasons finals series.

Started a season with no OKC involved and their replacement being Seattle's 1995/96 team.

Gary-Payton1-e1368543124718.jpg

:wub:

The commentary doesn't seem to work if you simcast until the 4th quarter like I prefer to do and I'm struggling pretty hard on all-star to the point I might actually drop down in difficulty even though I played on all-star consistently last year. The new mycareer is tons better and the expansion/pure amount of options for a MYGM keep me super hopeful but for the first time ever I'm finding myself playing Madden more.

I can only pick up one of the 2k17's this year (NBA or WWE) and though I'm pretty pumped about the new additions (expansion teams! multiple commentators! new jerseys and stuff!), I can't help but feeling that most of these can be done in 2k16, anyway. 

Hopefully someone who has the game can convince me otherwise? :D

9 hours ago, Trey said:

The commentary doesn't seem to work if you simcast until the 4th quarter like I prefer to do and I'm struggling pretty hard on all-star to the point I might actually drop down in difficulty even though I played on all-star consistently last year. The new mycareer is tons better and the expansion/pure amount of options for a MYGM keep me super hopeful but for the first time ever I'm finding myself playing Madden more.

MyGM with the expansion teams (including teams you can download from 2K/user created) is really really fun. My first save was with a revived SuperSonics team. Whoever made it did an excellent job on the court and the jerseys.

My only issues so far are cosmetic, specifically the body types. The skinny body works for Durant and Ingram but not for Greek Freak, Curry, Wiggins, etc.

Edited by Tyrone
  • Like 1

Oh my, a MyLeague allowing for 36 teams? Now I've been put in a very difficult position as to how to spend the little money I have...

Gah, now i'm tempted to get the game so I can expand the league by returning teams to Seattle and Vancouver. And expand the east by adding a team in Montreal and Louisville...

• Like 1

I'm loving the actual gameplay. Last year it felt like I had to stand two steps away from whoever I was guarding because I was on rollerskates or they'd seemingly teleport past me if I tried to press up. This year they've made everything and everyone have more weight so if I'm pressed up they can't just slide past. It's a great change. Plus your patience seems better rewarded and if you wait long enough someone will get free for an easy shot rather than needing to create something on every play.

I'm also loving the rule changes and expansion and whatever the CBA will do (and tv rights). It's making it feel like it will still be fun to play when the league is filed with created rookies. 

I got burnt out super fast last year, which had a lot to do with the gameplay and the whole 'training is too easy/hard change it' requests. Both seem much, much improved. Although I'm annoyed I still can't palm the training fixes off on my trainer.

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

Gah, now i'm tempted to get the game so I can expand the league by returning teams to Seattle and Vancouver. And expand the east by adding a team in Montreal and Louisville...

I gave in already and bought it so I've been thinking of places to add the expansion teams to. So far I've picked Seattle and Vancouver too, St Louis (purely to make up for them losing the Rams), Pittsburgh and now I'm deciding between Vegas, Baltimore, Louisville, Omaha and Kansas City for the final two...

• Like 1

Yeah I got this on Monday. MyCareer Prelude was pretty fun. And enjoying the MyCareer so far, even though I've only played one game.

But MyGM is incredible. Still a little glitchy in the early days (Carmelo was whining about not getting minutes while having a season ending injury) but every year brings in new rule changes, and it makes me actually want to become a Team Owner. 

Anyone on the fence should absolutely get it.

8 hours ago, Ace said:

Yeah I got this on Monday. MyCareer Prelude was pretty fun. And enjoying the MyCareer so far, even though I've only played one game.

But MyGM is incredible. Still a little glitchy in the early days (Carmelo was whining about not getting minutes while having a season ending injury) but every year brings in new rule changes, and it makes me actually want to become a Team Owner. 

Anyone on the fence should absolutely get it.

Where did you get drafted? I played Prelude so far and my draft stock didn't improve at all :(

11 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I gave in already and bought it so I've been thinking of places to add the expansion teams to. So far I've picked Seattle and Vancouver too, St Louis (purely to make up for them losing the Rams), Pittsburgh and now I'm deciding between Vegas, Baltimore, Louisville, Omaha and Kansas City for the final two...

I'd go with Louisville and Vegas in that case. Kentucky is a college basketball hotspot without an actual team, and a 'second' team in Missou (after St. Lou) is a bit too much (Yes I know it's a border city, but KC would be surrounded by the Thunder, Nuggets, and the expansion team in Missouri.

And nobody gives a shit about Nebraska, let's be honest.

You could also always move the T-Wolves and Grizz into the east, and then go 3-1 with expansion teams.
Grizz into the SE Div, T-Wolves into the Central, Thunder into the SW, then VC/Seattle into the NorthWest. Then the final two teams in whatever division needs another team.
E.g. Tucky into the central, Pistons/Cavs into the Atlantic - Vegas in the Pacific

• Like 1

I've been playing Career non stop since last friday! Awesome game. MyTeam is a mode I will play again a lot and now with KD it's time to take OKC to greatness! 

• Like 1

Stop making me want to buy this sooner than I had planned!

• Like 2

I hate editing stats since it feels cheap, but they gave Tom Thibodeau either a C or C+ for defence. Ridiculous!

16 hours ago, michgcs said:

Where did you get drafted? I played Prelude so far and my draft stock didn't improve at all :(

13th. Suns. Was averaging around 12PPG 4RPG and 2APG as a PG, but my best two games were the finals. And I was still being torn apart and told I wasn't that good on Twitter lol.

19 minutes ago, Ace said:

13th. Suns. Was averaging around 12PPG 4RPG and 2APG as a PG, but my best two games were the finals. And I was still being torn apart and told I wasn't that good on Twitter lol.

Me, too! I was averaging around the same and they kept saying that I wasn't good enough. They should've made an option where you could stay in college for another year LOL My best game was actually on the bonus game against Australia :( 

I wasn't expecting ready made expansion teams waiting for me so that was a very nice surprise, plus being able to download the Sonics was helpful too, not to mention having all six divisions sorted for me.

I'm doing a sim season at the moment and the newly formed Pittsburgh Force with Gerald Henderson leading the team are beating OKC in the second quarter. I might need to adjust some things.

• Like 1

NBA 2K17 installs for 45 minutes.  Once that is finished, Xbox decides it needs to update, and takes 30 minutes to download and install said update.  Cool, great, lets play some basketball now.

NBA 2K17 needs an update 

:bang:

• Like 5

Had a moment of weakness, caved and bought the game for 30 bucks on CDKeys.com (euro key only).

The download is 53.8GB, 2K is really taking the piss with these game sizes. The game industry as a whole have forsaken compression of any sort and are just chewing up 5% of my 1TB disk...

EDIT:

Jason Kidd looks like a kid(d) wearing his dad's jacket...

QKmN7rE.png

Edited by Jasonmufc

Did decent with the sooners, got the title too. Did the team USA thing, that was alright too I guess.

Drafted by the Jazz, as a Shooting PF... On a team that already has Gobert and Favors as bigmen... Yay?
Actually pleased with being on the Jazz, although it'll mean eventually mean either Goby or Favors will have to be traded away once I get a good overall.

Another funny thing being that Justice Young is a point guard, on a team that already has Dante Exum at PG and Alec Burks at SG... So that's going to become interesting down the line too.

Also got the shoe deal, decided to sign with UA because the shoe in the preview was sweet as hell. And I get all UA (all 7...) shoes for free because I immediately got level 2 on the deal! So I didn't have to waste valuable VC to change from the generic 2K shoe you're saddled with at the beginning. But in hindsight I would've rather signed with the other three possible brands (Jordan, Nike, Adidas) because UA has such a tiny catalog in the game.

A small thing I like is that the game shows you the 2KTV segments during loading, so you can do the quizzes and such whilst the game is loading for some extra VC. Makes watching it every week less of a boring chore, and more of an easy aside.

I also feel its easier to draw fouls this year, or it could just be my imagination because this is the first time i'm seriously playing a big man in MyCareer... I still need to get used to layups being timing based now, flubbed some real easy ones early on because I didn't realize that.

I love these games so much but I hate the lack of a feeling of progression when you start out. I assume things are still heavily VC based - at least in MyCareer. Being lauded as a star player who can barely manage once you hit the court isn't all that great - the 2K16 version was like this and the WWE career mode is like this as well... but at least the stats boost for that is inexpensive compared to the NBA series.

Are the other modes still hugely impacted by VC? I remember not even being able to do proper GM stuff because it cost VC.