NHL '17

Draevyn

The thing that killed last years game was how slow the menus took. Changing up the lines and making roster moves was a huge pain in the butt.

I've seen some stuff online and the menus look better. Relocation looks like a fun option. I'm still 50/50 on picking it up or just sticking with Madden for my sports kick.

3 hours ago, Toe said:

The thing that killed last years game was how slow the menus took. Changing up the lines and making roster moves was a huge pain in the butt.

I've seen some stuff online and the menus look better. Relocation looks like a fun option. I'm still 50/50 on picking it up or just sticking with Madden for my sports kick.

I originally wasn't going to pick it up as I've got 15 and 16 which haven't had a lot of play but then I saw a commercial for it and there went my money. The damn commercial wasn't even that good. <_<

I picked it up. As I thought, the menus are much improved and that really helps me to enjoy running Franchise Mode. The game play seems similar to last year, although in my experiences so far the AI has been a bit tougher to play against. That's a good thing.

On 9/26/2016 at 18:46, Cactus Drags said:

My friends (and @Velociraptor King Ellis) didn't have much luck with the EASHL beta, which kind of killed our enthusiasm for it. Will probably pick it up the other side of Xmas, but I haven't even started my EA Access trial yet. 

Charming <_<

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I did not buy NHL the day it was released. For some reason, I just wasn't excited this year after playing the beta.  The stick lift was real iffy, and it seemed like a poke-check heavy game.  I do agree that the AI seemed to be tougher to play against. I didn't notice any significant improvements.  Most likely I'll be picking this up if it's on sale for Black Friday, like previous years. 

Weirdly I find the A.I easier to play against on this game. Even on normal settings for last year I had a hard time actually scoring goals. I've played two games since picking this up and I've beaten both teams 5-0 and 6-1. I tend to poke check a lot anyway so that works for me but I've always had a hard time recovering the puck after I poke it away from my opponent so they tend to get it right back. I've started to try playing more positional defense rather than trying to beat them one on one.

Allowing custom uploads like the 2K series games do should be the next step for them. Really adds a lot for games that allow this kind of stuff.

Can confirm because I drove a Land Rover that was painted to look like a Jurassic Park jeep in Forza last night.

Edited by apsham

3 hours ago, apsham said:

Allowing custom uploads like the 2K series games do should be the next step for them. Really adds a lot for games that allow this kind of stuff.

Can confirm because I drove a Land Rover that was painted to look like a Jurassic Park jeep in Forza last night.

I feel like the next step for relocation in the NHL series is to either allow custom uploads through the EA website, or a logo creator tool... but both need to be paired with content sharing. If I want to move a team to Hamilton and someone has already put in the work to create a logo and jerseys I enjoy, I should be able to just download those instead of having to go in and create everything myself.

26 minutes ago, The Forks And The Hound said:

Do you use the skill sticks? I've never gotten used to it so I still play with hybrid controls but I'm told you can do so much more if you can learn the skill stick.

Still stick makes the gum a lot more fun in my opinion. I don't have NHL 17 yet, but If the option is still there, I recommend using free skate and playing the with skill stick 1-1 with a goalie. 

• 2 weeks later...

So for those of you with this, is the game much improved over the version from two years ago? I stumbled into some extra money so even though I bought the new NBA, I'm thinking of grabbing the NHL game too, but only if it's been improved.

My EHM game has renewed my love of hockey, so I'm really tempted.

• 6 months later...

If I don't sign kids that I draft, like 18/19/20 year olds, do I retain their rights in this game? I'm terrified of moving forward in my Franchise, because I don't want the 18-year old and 19-year old kids that I drafted to be lost, but I don't really have the space for them on my AHL team. In reality, they go back to juniors and I'd retain their rights, correct? I kind of have an idea of how it works in real life, but I am not 100% sure if EA Sports functions that way or not. I've avoided this game for like a week now, for only this reason. :lol:

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

If I don't sign kids that I draft, like 18/19/20 year olds, do I retain their rights in this game? I'm terrified of moving forward in my Franchise, because I don't want the 18-year old and 19-year old kids that I drafted to be lost, but I don't really have the space for them on my AHL team. In reality, they go back to juniors and I'd retain their rights, correct? I kind of have an idea of how it works in real life, but I am not 100% sure if EA Sports functions that way or not. I've avoided this game for like a week now, for only this reason. :lol:

Not sure how it works in the game, but in real life I believe NHL teams own the rights to their players for 3 or 4 years before they have to sign them or let them loose.