Sweet Christmas, It's a Luke Cage Netflix Series Thread

I Don't Mind

On 9/30/2016 at 23:22, I DDT 'Em. said:

Just finished episode 3 of Luke Cage. It's starting slow in my opinion but there's a lot of seeds to make this great. It really lives up to the blaxploitation roots of the character

On 10/1/2016 at 12:30, fhqwhjosh said:

Finished Luke Cage. Full series spoilers ahead.

Reveal hidden contents

On 10/1/2016 at 13:56, Benji said:

Luke Cage S1 E1

Reveal hidden contents

On 10/1/2016 at 14:51, Benji said:

Luke Cage S2 E2

Reveal hidden contents

17 hours ago, Lint said:

Luke Cage spoilers...can't remember the episode number, but its not a vital spoiler so its not important

Reveal hidden contents

9 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I'm up to episode 5 (haven't started it). My only complaint so far:

Reveal hidden contents

Love that the show wears its influences on its sleeve. The scene set to Wu Tang was great. 

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Luke Cage S1 E4...

Reveal hidden contents

9 hours ago, fhqwhjosh said:
  Reveal hidden contents

9 hours ago, HailtotheSickle said:

Only 2 episodes in and I think Cage is fantastic.  Staying true to the Blacksploitation comic roots is fantastic for me as I'm the old guy in the room that caught the tail end of all of that run in comics as a kid.  WON DER FUL

9 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I get that,

Reveal hidden contents

4 hours ago, Lint said:

S1E12 spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Continue discussing, turkeys

• Like 1

We have a Daredevil thread too though, so there's no harm in having one for Luke Cage I reckon. I just realized that this is 13 episodes, not 10. No idea why I thought it was 10 since so many Marvel Netflix shows are 13. 

"So Luke... Freeman?"

Also, in episode 5, is one of the gangsters hanging out with Stokes wearing a Zelda shirt? Looks like a black shirt with the Triforce on it in silver.

• Like 1

Nah, was totally a Zelda shirt

qv73uw3ykvox.jpg

Also, my provlem with individual Netflix series threads, is we have 2 years between each season, though there are rumors Netflix will step up to recording 3 series at a time instead of 2.  So if we get a Luke Cage S2, which I really hope we do, it wouldn't be until at least 2018, if not later

• Like 2

Episode 7

Spoiler

Holy shit, Mama Mabel is vicious. Also, can I say how much I like Cottonmouth as a villain? He's very human, very much shaped by his surroundings and his upbringing. He's a criminal, but he has his own moral standards. He's not a one dimensional gangster boss. He's very much like Fisk in that he's doing what he believes is right, but he's going about it in absolutely the wrong way, yet there's still a certain form of empathy and sympathy that you feel for him that humanizes him as a character despite all the terrible shit you've seen him do throughout the series so far.

EDIT: Is it too late to retract at least some of that now that I've finished the episode? :shifty:

Also, holy shit Mariah holy shit

And can I just say that Theo Rossi is totally killin' it as Shades? 'cause he is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Episode 7

Hide contents

Holy shit, Mama Mabel is vicious. Also, can I say how much I like Cottonmouth as a villain? He's very human, very much shaped by his surroundings and his upbringing. He's a criminal, but he has his own moral standards. He's not a one dimensional gangster boss. He's very much like Fisk in that he's doing what he believes is right, but he's going about it in absolutely the wrong way, yet there's still a certain form of empathy and sympathy that you feel for him that humanizes him as a character despite all the terrible shit you've seen him do throughout the series so far.

EDIT: Is it too late to retract at least some of that now that I've finished the episode? :shifty:

Also, holy shit Mariah holy shit

And can I just say that Theo Rossi is totally killin' it as Shades? 'cause he is.

Spoiler

I think the Marvel Netflix series intentionally make the 7th episode a major turning point for the plot every time. However, I wasn't keeping track of what episode I was on, so when the two major events happened (Mariah killing Cottonmouth and the reveal of Diamondback) they really caught me off guard. When I saw episode 8 was next, it finally hit me.

And yeah, props to all three of them as actors and characters. I was even fully prepared to be bored with Shades as a two-dimensional character, but Rossi's performance coupled with scenes like him coaching Mariah through the cover-up really drew me in.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying it, just finished episode 6 and everything seems to be setting up nicely.

I'm also fully behind this being a separate thread given how avoiding Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. details for 7 months is going to be difficult enough as it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fhqwhjosh said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

"Do you think there are rubber gloves in the kitchen?"
"Y-yeah, I think they're kept by the dishwashing station."
"That's a great idea! [pause] I can't believe Luke Cage killed your cousin."

• Like 1

I'm only a few minutes into episode 8, but one thing:

Spoiler

No one saw a military grade Humvee just prowlin' around while Luke Cage gets shot? And furthermore, no one went "hey that's weird that military grade Hummer is closely following an ambulance around"?

First show that I have seen all episodes in one sitting,from Friday 6 p.m to Saturday 6 a.m.

Great show,the twist caught me totally by surprise.

Spoilers for entire Luke Cage,Jessica Jones and Captain America:Civil War.

Spoiler

I read somewhere that Maria is actually the same character that give Tony Stark the picture in Civil War,it is true?Anyone realized this?

Also the references to Daredevil and Jessica Jones got me pumped for the Defenders.

Also the Trish Talk voice cameo was a very good way to tie the universe together.

16 hours ago, angeluzcr said:

First show that I have seen all episodes in one sitting,from Friday 6 p.m to Saturday 6 a.m.

Great show,the twist caught me totally by surprise.

Spoilers for entire Luke Cage,Jessica Jones and Captain America:Civil War.

Reveal hidden contents

I read somewhere that Maria is actually the same character that give Tony Stark the picture in Civil War,it is true?Anyone realized this?

Also the references to Daredevil and Jessica Jones got me pumped for the Defenders.

Also the Trish Talk voice cameo was a very good way to tie the universe together.

Spoiler

It's been confirmed by the writers of Civil War that the two characters are not the same. Neither casting team was aware of her being cast in the other project.

Episode 11

Spoiler

"Why are you telling me all this?"
"Because you're about to meet my mother, Damon. Tell her.. I love her."

Erik LaRay Harvey is phenomenal as Diamondback.

Episode 12

Spoiler

Goddamnit if they kill Shades I'm gonna be mad. It's a waste of Theo Rossi. Shades would make a great tertiary villain, the kind of guy who isn't the "main" bad guy but who is his or her formidable, well-trained flunky that they throw at the hero as a last resort. 

• Like 2

Just finished episode 11. SO GOOD. I don't want to go to work tomorrow, I want to watch the rest of this :(

Also! General spoilers up until now...

Loving that Claire is getting a lot more screen time than she did with Daredevil/Jessica Jones. Rosario Dawson is wonderful. Hopefully she shows up in Defenders.

• Like 3

Finale

Spoiler

I found the ending a bit flat, partly because the final battle finished halfway through and the final half was just legal ramifications, and partly because I was expecting a Danny Rand cameo to set up the Iron Fist series. The Colleen Wing nod is something I guess, but not the big reveal of a new hero.

Overall though it was very enjoyable, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Diamondback now he's in the hands of the doctor that created Luke's power, with Luke's DNA of course. Until then my hype train is still very much Defenders focused.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Finale

Reveal hidden contents

I found the ending a bit flat, partly because the final battle finished halfway through and the final half was just legal ramifications, and partly because I was expecting a Danny Rand cameo to set up the Iron Fist series. The Colleen Wing nod is something I guess, but not the big reveal of a new hero.

Overall though it was very enjoyable, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Diamondback now he's in the hands of the doctor that created Luke's power, with Luke's DNA of course. Until then my hype train is still very much Defenders focused.

Spoiler

I liked that the finale used the big battle early on then concentrated on the falling action. It wasn't so much about Luke's physical battle with Diamondback, but about getting the public to finally embrace Luke and for Luke to fully face his past so he can move forward.

• Like 3