Crazy Shit in Videogames

JasonM

Well, like the thread title so eloquently says. What's some of the craziest shit you've come across in video games. Whether it's a game scene, or a gameplay function, or heck, an entire freaking game as a whole being just so ridiculous. Maybe it was so bad that it became good, or that there was a huge dissonance from one moment to the next.

Basically, what are moments in games that have stuck with you over the years, maybe has become an inside joke just because it was so memorably weird and crazy.

This ain't a thread for things that have stuck with you because it was simply great (Ex. The Last of Us giving you feels). This is about the weird/funny/crazy crap that has found its way into gaming.

For example, mid 90s early 3D game Overblood. A pretty bland PS1 Resident Evil clone, with god awful acting. And one of the most hammy over-acted 'emotional' scenes i've ever come across.

wwfbam-2.png

wwfbam-3.png

• Like 5

Remember when they would use real filming in cutscenes in some early PS1 games? I do. "KER-RAZEE EEVAN!"

3 hours ago, Plubby said:

Spec Ops: The Line.

Oh man, I had no idea this game was going to be so good. I think I got it in a Humble Bundle or something and it blew me away. The gameplay was good enough but the story was great. While I was playing it I was getting Apocalypse Now vibes and it turns out its based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cloudy said:

All of Indigo Prophecy.

This is the answer that can't be beaten.  

Basically let's just say any David Cage game. 

There was the tiny thing in FF7 where between fighting an all powerful corporation, a person with the powers of a God, undergoing deep emotional and physical trauma involving amnesia, friends permanently dying, destroying sinister alien clones, and astonishingly beasts created by the planet where you slack off for a few hours inbreeding chocobos and cross-dressing and bathing to impress some muscle-bound gym bros.

That was a bit odd.

Mind, my favourite will always be Tofu in Resident Evil 2. Nothing says "survival horror" like a massive blob of bean curd.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

The final part of Metal Gear Solid 2 was just one massive wtf is happening moment. 

Funny thing is, Kojima was trying to kill the franchise, and when fan demand meant more games, he had to spend the next two installments making that clusterfuck into something coherent.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Benji said:

I've never heard that. You got a source?

I remember reading it on TV Tropes, so... wherever that guy got his info.