Recommend me some music like MCR

Hellraiser

So I've discovered My Chemical Romance recently. I knew that they were a thing but I never paid any attention to them because their heyday coincided with my "I only listen to Metal and anything that isn't Metal sucks"-phase. A couple weeks ago while cleaning up my room I had a playlist of those "elders/kids/teens react to such and such" videos playing in the background and in one of them they played MCR to college students. I enjoyed the bits of music I heard in that video so I decided to check them out. I really enjoy their music. My favorite albums are "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" and "The Black Parade". Now I'm looking for more music that sounds like MCR did during that phase of their career and I hoped that some of you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Edited by Hellraiser

2 hours ago, WeAreOne said:

I haven't listened to MCR in a long time might but you might like Taking Back Sunday, just going off memory they had a pretty similar style for awhile but don't hold me to that.

First two to three records is probably a good shout

Thursday's up that alley. Primarily the albums Full Collapse and War All The Time. TBS are a good shout. Maybe Panic! At The Disco, or From Under The Cork Tree-era Fall Out Boy.

7 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Thursday's up that alley. Primarily the albums Full Collapse and War All The Time. TBS are a good shout. Maybe Panic! At The Disco, or From Under The Cork Tree-era Fall Out Boy.

Thursday are a little different, they are for sure heavier and a lot more political in the leanings of the lyrics. Panic! and FOB are good shouts.

Otherwise you may want to check out The Used and The Academy is... As well

You may like The Used. Here they are together.

I've actually always like The Used better myself.

I was going to give a shout out to Fallout Boy but I figured that'd be pushing it.

As others have said Panic! is something you should check out. Was never really a fan of them myself but anytime I saw one of their music videos they'd always remind me of MCR.

Thanks again for all these recommendations! I'll make sure to look into these bands.

Another question: Were MCR fans disappointed by the "Danger Days..." album when it was originally released in 2010? I enjoy the record (although not as much as "Three Cheers..." and "The Black Parade") but based on my experience with Metal bands changing their sound I can imagine they ruffled some feathers with the stylistic changes they made. Especially after making their fams wait for 4 years. Or are Emo fans more open to stylistic changes than metalheads?

I'd say more open, but I'm sure that comes down more to the person then anything. The whole "Emo band" wave of the mid 2000's was more of a fad then anything, so most bands that made there name during that time where almost forced to evolve there sound.

I think I heard "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" roughly a billion times during my senior year of high school, because I'd be watching Fuse in the mornings while I got ready for school and that music video would play at least once, every morning, for what seemed like months on end. Then summer of 2005 it was "Helena" all over the place. Good memories.

5 hours ago, WeAreOne said:

I'd say more open, but I'm sure that comes down more to the person then anything. The whole "Emo band" wave of the mid 2000's was more of a fad then anything, so most bands that made there name during that time where almost forced to evolve there sound.

This is such an odd point of view to take.  Literally all kinds of music are a fad, in the 1990's you have Grunge, big pop groups (boy bands/teen pop princesses), then it moves in to Nu-metal and the big pop ballads, then in the 2000's it moves in to pop-punk, emo, indie bands and again that evolves in to nu-rave and you get pop stars like Beyonce/Rhianna coming through.

Music evolves and bands evolve, the Beatles did, Queen did, Madonna did.  To be relevant you have to kick out new music which is different to your last album, which is different to the album before that.  I honestly don't get how you can go "oh mid 2000's emo was more of a fad...." then not mention another hundred genres and sub-genres of music which you could point at as "a fad".

• Like 1