I'm Just Spitballing Here...

Several years ago there was a lot of discussion about trying to create a different method for entering stats and whatnot into the data files in EWR.  People were thinking like utilizing exel or some other program (and maybe they succeeded, I don't know because was out of the loop for years).  At the time though the major roadblock was that Adam Ryland's original coding was too darn complicated to cut through easily.

Now, something I've always wanted to do would be a massive EWR game featuring content from all of the updates and scenarios until now (which is what, more than 10 years?).  It'd be like an over 9000 sort of thing (though I'd call it EWR:Overloaded since it'd be hilariously huge).  Doing something like this by hand would take one person years; combing through each update, finding extra workers and staff floating around, messing with relationships and whatnot.

But what if there was a way we could streamline the process?  Only this year I realized that it is extremely easy to merge Windows files (and then choose which version of each interior file overwrites the other).  So what if instead of trying to attack the issue of content adding via data entry someone were to create a patching system instead?  Like I envision that one data file plays the role of a "master file" and then another same-named dat file is used as the "patch" (though, possibly in name only).  What's really happening is the files are being merged and the "master file" is being used as the base while the "patch"'s data is being added on top of it (with the options of which version of each section [like which wrestler in the wrestler.dat files] is used in the merged file).

For example, say I want to combine the latest update pack wrestler.dat file with the 1970's scenario's one.  I'd run the patcher, load in the update pack file first then put the 1970's scenario file in next- then when prompted I'd probably give 1st priority to all of the update's selections.  This would give me a data file featuring old man Hulk Hogan looking for work and young man Randy Poffo getting his start- suddenly it'd be Legends of Wrestling vs the PG Era in one shot without a month of data entry.

Granted, with wrestlers changing names frequently it wouldn't be a perfect system (as my above example would also accidentally have a not-yet-discovered Terry Bollea running around too).  But it would certainly save time.

What I'm really curious about is for those of you with more coding knowledge out there- would such a thing be possible?  Or would we run into the same problem years ago when trying to improve the data entry- Adam Ryland's ridiculous coding making such a mod impossible?  Like I said in the title, I'm just throwing out an idea and seeing what others think- because I've been thinking about it quite a bit.  Or does anyone else have similar-minded ideas?

22 hours ago, Gazz said:

EWR stats updates are already ridiculously oversized to the point of near unplayability as it is.

Only Bill's and stratosfaction (sorry if wrote the name wrong) had my computer struggling really, Paige Turner's updates are much faster, my new computer takes like 5 seconds to get that.

now for the OP, I'm not too sure how necessary this sort of thing would be, since there are so many scenarios already where you can get a specific month of every year since 2003 (when Bill's updates started), it will be a lot of work for something that only people with high end computers would use, and it will feel weird to have all of these wrestling years and even decades mushed in together. An idea that could work, however, is the specific example you gave for "Legends of Wrestling vs PG Era". That could be a great idea to have a 70's/80's WWF vs 2010's WWE, or Attitude Era vs PG, Golden Era vs Ruthless Aggression etc.

i think this might be more unique and interesting than a 10-hours-to-load stat update.

Of course however people wanted to use it would be up for grabs.  The 10 hour loading time monstrosity is just my ultimate goal.  But there are multiple potential uses.  Like if someone wanted to combine the Japan packs with the relevant update (I'm not sure of the date).

That's why the patcher would be cool, we could make our own combos.  Again though, the issue is really if such a thing is even possible