Red Dead Redemption Part Deux

MalaCloudy Black

http://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-coming-fall-2017-1787920130

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

ubssqgimhn9cg2na0aeq.jpg

No plot details or anything, just an announcement for the trailer (this Thursday!). Xbox One and PS4. No word on a PC version.

• Like 1

Why didn't you like the ending? I thought it was fine. Very reminiscent of how endings typically pan out in westerns, with the whole hero's sacrifice and all that. 

• Like 6

2017 is so far away

I'm genuinely excited for a new Red Dead game. Can't wait to play poker, lose, get a cob on and tie someone up and kidnap them 

Yeah I can't wait for this, loved the previous one. I like the Magnificent Seven motif, hope there's more to come along those lines.

A lot of expectation that it will be a prequel since RDR took place at the end of the era really, but I wonder if that'll mean more John Marston & Bill Williamson or a completely new set of characters?

Just now, Little Red Srarvette said:

:o A good game with a horrible ending! Maybe this ending wont be horrible

I honestly thought the ending was one of the best things about this game:

Spoiler

I think it was a stroke of genius to not end the game after Dutch died (like how all GTA games end after the main antagonist is killed) but to let player witness the reunion of John and his family and have the player experience the life that John always wanted. It makes the betrayal by the feds and his heroic sacrifice at the end so much more heart-wrenching. And if that wasn't already enough they have Jack go down the same path as his father rendering all of John's efforts to prevent him from going down that path ultimately pointless. It's a downer ending but I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Yeah I can't wait for this, loved the previous one. I like the Magnificent Seven motif, hope there's more to come along those lines.

A lot of expectation that it will be a prequel since RDR took place at the end of the era really, but I wonder if that'll mean more John Marston & Bill Williamson or a completely new set of characters?

Almost certain that is Marston to the left of the centre character.

Let's face it, the real reason it sucked was because you were forced to play as Jack for the rest of the game.

"WORK YA DAMN NAG!" :angry:

But for reals though, that ending was amazing. I think in all games, only Crisis Core did the hero's last stand better, but Srar can't help how she feels about it any more than anyone else can.

10 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

That's exactly why I didn't like it. I felt robbed after all the work I put in

I usually hate those endings in which the main character sacrifices himself as well. Especially in RPGs where you spent hours upon hours of building up your character only to see them die in the end. The worst offender in that regard has to be the original ending of Fallout 3. Because in that game there was no reason for the hero to sacrifice himself if he had a certain companion with him who is invulnerable to radiation. But the ending of RDR is so well done that it really didn't bother me.

Edited by Hellraiser

4 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Is this the first time the third game in a series has been called the second? :P

The first one was Red Dead Revolver. This is Red Dead Redemption, and it is the second in the Redemption series, not the Red Dead series, so "2" is correct.

Also, we all know Rockstar aren't good with numbers anyway, else we'd be on way more than GTAV <_< Vice City and San Andreas count as seperate games, Rockstar!

• Like 3

I can see why RDR's ending wasn't everyone's cup of tea. Especially since it's so inherently different to what we tend to get in open-world games and most games as a whole. (It has changed a bit since... Like with TLAO, and TWD:TG)

But I agree with Hellraiser. It was the perfect ending to a perfect game, it was a true classical tragedy in terms of writing. A man that tries to find his redemption, repent for all the sins he has committed, and keep his son from straying into the same path as he did. Yet ultimately, all of his efforts were for naught as his past never leaves him and ulterior forces push him to the ending that had been his fate all along.

His sacrifice to his family, giving up his life for theirs, that was his true redemption. The fact that Abigail dies quickly after, and Jack turns into the same thing his father was, that makes it even more tragic.

Personally, I loved the ending, and it was a true gutwrencher. And personally it's the best ending of all Rockstar games, because it's just so inherently different. Every game you play you finish having beaten the big bad, and you're rich and perfect and nothing can stop you. And whilst that is fun, it never really feels 'real'.

Redemption's ending on the other hand, it really was the only way it could've gone. All the signs were there throughout the story, John was simply delaying the inevitable. Simply playing along, but the feds always made it clear they wouldn't leave any loose end. And that meant their betrayal was (sudden yet) inevitable.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

My biggest beef with RDR's ending - the Jack stuff - is that it felt like it could have easily been saved for a full-blown sequel.

EDIT: I just thought, that guy does look like John Marston, but maybe it's Jack? Maybe this is the story of how Jack goes further down his father's past, leads his own gang, etc.