Red Dead Redemption Part Deux

MalaCloudy Black

18 minutes ago, Colly said:

You put in 40 hours where you're in gunfights avoiding death while you're controlling him, only to have that control taken away for that one moment

That's not actually true. You have control of him upon his death. You get one last dead eye, but the numbers are simply too much. I know what you mean though, I just like being a pedant :shifty:

• Like 4

It was great for me because games don't have to be these experiences where the rules are always one way. When a game can effectively break the rules that you expect and do it well - that's an awesome thing.

Battlefield 1 prologue starts out by telling you: "This is front line combat. You are not expected to survive." And what follows is one of the best sequences that I've played in a FPS for a long time.

My only issue with the ending was that it was the ending and not the end of Act 4. I'd have loved more of a Roaring Rampage of Revenge scenario. I mean, yeah we got one but they really could have done more with it.

Otherwise though, it was brilliant.

I don't know if the right word for it is semantics but I would not have been against my character being killed. Like if I had somehow managed to kill all them guys and protected my family and just been too shot up to live that would have been sad to me but somehow ok. Does that even make sense? I think it is partly like Colly said. I did everything right and then the outcome was taken out of my hands.

• Like 2

Maybe in this one, we can all team up as an EWB posse and go kidnap some baddies, tie them up and let a train run them over.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I don't know if the right word for it is semantics but I would not have been against my character being killed. Like if I had somehow managed to kill all them guys and protected my family and just been too shot up to live that would have been sad to me but somehow ok. Does that even make sense? I think it is partly like Colly said. I did everything right and then the outcome was taken out of my hands.

But the outcome wasn't taken out of your hands. You still get the chance to shoot some of the guys before you die. You get one last dead-eye There are just to many of the guys there for you to realistically take down without taking cover. You are in a situation where there can be no good outcome.

I get why you don't like the ending. It's unsatisfying and a downer. But that doesn't mean it's bad. It's a downer by desing. I'm supposed to be sad and angry after experiencing it. And it's not just a downer for the sake of being a downer. The whole thing makes perfect narrative sense. The game is building up to that moment. Whereas in Fallout 3 they tried to do the same thing but failed because in that game the entire situation is completely avoidable and kinda came out of nowhere. But you're forced to sacrifice yourself anyway even if you decide to play the game as the most despicable person in the entire wasteland. Now that is what I would call a bad ending.

Edited by Hellraiser

Sometimes it's best to let someone have their opinion because you're beating a dead horse in trying to convince her that she needs to like it. She really doesn't. I do, however, hate those of you who have made it to the end because I feel like I'm missing out on so much . :( 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

But the outcome wasn't taken out of your hands. You still get the chance to shoot some of the guys before you die. You get one last dead-eye There are just to many of the guys there for you to realistically take down without taking cover. You are in a situation where there can be no good outcome.

• Like 5

A lot of Rockstar games have had unhappy endings or at best okay endings. GTAIV, LA Noire, RDR, hell even they were involved in Football Factory. I don't have a problem with them at all as long as the story is good.