Red Dead Redemption Part Deux

MalaCloudy Black

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Looks as though the rumours about the characters were true. I'd have liked to see some gameplay, but I'm sure they feel safe holding off on that for a while, with the game not coming out until next Spring.

What rumours were they?

Game looks sweet from that trailer. I'm looking forward to this as it'll be a nice change-up from GTA, which I recently realised I had been playing for four years now. Mad that it's been out that long.

Just now, Adam said:

What rumours were they?

People have speculated since the first promotional material that you'd be part of Dutch's gang. It looks as though that includes a young John and Abigail Marston, along with Bill Williamson. The official site says that Arthur Morgan will be the main character, but I hope he isn't the only one we get to play as. Without wanting to push tokenism, I think this would be a great opportunity to finally play as a woman in one of these games, at least in some capacity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Could see them doing something like what they did with the last GTA where you flip between different characters. That'd be neat.

I felt like they didn't even get that right gameplay-wise in GTAV.  Granted, RDR2 could be a chance to learn from their mistakes, but I'm already kind of soured on the idea.

My knee-jerk reaction is to take the scene change (when you change from John to his son) idea from the end of RDR1 and utilize it to change the narrative here.  Build to a crescendo as opposed to having a janky, stop-on-a-dime narrative.

I would like to be able to play as several characters, but they did get that wrong in GTA. It compromised the story's depth and ability to be compelling, it felt quite unfocused with the three. I like the idea of who you play as being dictated by the narrative, that could work very well in RDR.

As much as enjoyed GTA V and tge way you could use different characters, I preferred GTA IV where you have basically have 3 characters on different paths but some interaction with each other. Doubt it would work in a single story mode game though

Just now, Rocky said:

As much as enjoyed GTA V and tge way you could use different characters, I preferred GTA IV where you have basically have 3 characters on different paths but some interaction with each other. Doubt it would work in a single story mode game though

Single story would work. It's the sandbox idea that doesn't allow things like that to really happen. I haven't beaten GTA V yet but I've enjoyed the way that it's done. I'm not sure I want all games trying that though to be honest.

2 hours ago, metalman said:

The previous RDR was the game that finally made me buy a PS3. This one could be the one that gets me to buy a PS4/Xbox whateveryoucallit. Although I'd need to buy a TV too. :/

Between this game and Last of Us: Part II, I'll have no choice but to upgrade. I was going to do it for Uncharted 4 but my workplace burned down so I was obviously working less during the rebuild. Never got around to it after that.

8 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I've seen people online talk about how the graphics in the trailer don't look good. I can't agree with that at all. I also think that Red Dead Redemption still looks great after seven years.

Yeah from the trailer RDR2 looks better than GTA5 does on 4K, and I assume they have worked on improving the engine they used in GTA5 to make it crisper.

Just a shame PC players are probably getting shafted either way, we'll probably have to wait 6-9 months for it to get ported, or if we're especially unlucky they do a RDR1 and never port it.

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Yeah from the trailer RDR2 looks better than GTA5 does on 4K, and I assume they have worked on improving the engine they used in GTA5 to make it crisper.

Just a shame PC players are probably getting shafted either way, we'll probably have to wait 6-9 months for it to get ported, or if we're especially unlucky they do a RDR1 and never port it.

Sony tweeted that the trailer was running on a PS4 (presumably a Pro version), so it's probably going to look even better on PC if and when it arrives. I'd be very surprised if it didn't, but I can see people buying the game more than once on different platforms, just like they did with GTA 5. The fact that that game is still consistently in the top 10 of the sales chart years after its original release is staggering.

3 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Stop being a dirty PC player. You guys aren't real gamers! :shifty: 

But on a serious note, I thought it looked amazing but then it doesn't take a lot to impress me. As long as the story is good then I'm in to be honest. I still think I'm going to buy an X-Box 360/PS3 just to play the first one again.

• 3 months later...