Red Dead Redemption Part Deux

MalaCloudy Black

14 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Caved and bought it. Finished Chapter 1. 

I can already tell this game is going to be soooooo good and nothing intense has even happened yet. 

I wish I could forget the game, just so I can experience it for the first time again.

• Like 3

Just finished it completely and watching the credits.

Spoiler

For the Agent Ross scenes I feel like it would mean more to me if I'd played the first game, but rounding out stories for the surviving gang members, Mary and the Downes' was a nice touch.

Holy shit, Postmodern Jukebox are in the game?! With Robyn Adele Anderson singing? I have to find them immediately.

This is a lot of credits, I'm starting to wonder if I did something for this game based on that I think everyone else in the world has been listed so far.

And I'm going to assume where you rejoin John and Abigail after they end is where they're buried in the first game...

On 05/01/2019 at 18:36, Chris2K said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Also I can't help looking at Micah and thinking he is an ancestor of Michael PS Hayes.

Spoiler

Oh I definitely noticed that, but took it as a temporary thing with all the toll the rough missions were taking on him. Plus, it just happens as you’re walking along, having nothing to do with a mission or interaction. Which is a great touch 

• Like 1

I've only just got to chapter 4 having had the game since it came out. 

The game is just too distracting for me (this isn't a negative btw) I just like to explore and see the world, the random encounters, doing all the side stuff. 

It's just such an immersive game. 

Got a question though, when does the cap for honor expand? I just can't get past a certain bit in order to reach maximum honor

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazed and ConFORKed said:

How many chapters are there for this game? 6? I just made it to Chapter 4 and need to figure out when I should start doing most of my side stuff before the game ends. 

There are indeed 6, plus two epilogue chapters.

1 minute ago, Josh to the World said:

I’d say do that stuff now. As much as you can, anyway.

I finished this a couple of days ago. Good god, what a finish. Still on the epilogue.

That's mostly what I wondered. I haven't been much of a side quest kind of person over the last few years mainly because I've had a hard time finding time for console games but I'm trying to be better about it. I want to get my money's worth and while I will probably never be the type of person who attempts to platinum every game, I'd like to make sure I do all of the content involved with it. Unfortunately I still feel like that if I "accidently" finished the story then I wouldn't have the motivation to do everything else.

Finally finished it. I feel like it was simultaneously a pretty incredible experience and also a deeply frustrating one. There are really few, if any, games where I was so invested in the characters, and I love the way that it felt lived-in; the relationships between everyone in the gang felt real and they unpacked the history of the Van der Linde Gang in a way that didn't feel clumsy. Even the gang members who weren't my favorites meant something, to the point where

Spoiler

When I ran into Pearson running the general store in Rhodes in the epilogue I was incredibly happy to have run into him purely by accident. I barely ever even thought of Pearson! But there he was, safe and sound, and I was really relieved. Good for you, Pearson!

I feel like its ambitions of being this big cinematic story sort of butted heads against the reality that it's a big Rockstar game which means that it has to be an open world with a billion side things to do. Like, most of the best sequences in the game are these tightly scripted things, and actually the two best segments of the game to me weren't even action sequences at all but really fun ways of doing a type of movie scene with just enough video game stuff that it's not purely a cutscene but feels more like you're hitting your marks as a participant in the scene. None of which should take away from some of the big action stuff, particularly the two big ones at the end of Chapter 3 which were fantastic, but I did find it funny that the scene  I'm going to be remembering fondly years from now about RDR2 is "Arthur goes to bar with Lenny, they get drunk, that's all that happens." I hope that future games really learn from what this game does for cinematic storytelling and character stuff and maybe do it with a narrower focus on that.

Also, it's possible that I was just having awful luck but a lot of the time the game would break in these baffling ways that completely fucked up the immersion in the world that the game wants you to have. I took the exact same woman with a busted ankle back to Emerald Ranch twice. At the end of a side mission chain that was heavily hunting-centric, I went to interact with the final animal I had hunted and was sent plummeting through the ground and ended up like fifty feet away. In the epilogue, I suddenly ran into the same bickering escaped convicts who I had helped in the main story, seemingly right back to where they were before like nothing happened. And in the final mission a character got shot and instead of dying, remained frozen in the animation they were in before they were shot until I walked up and bumped into them, at which point they ragdolled down. Just not what I was expecting from Rockstar, particularly with the knowledge of what a long, grueling process making this game was.

• Like 1

On the subject of the characters, I really do think it's super impressive that they managed to have a full gang of like 25 (?) people and you know each of them, and they all mean something, and their characters mean something, and they don't just feel like they're there for filler. It's such a big cast of characters to have each of them mean something, it's really well done. Think it's probably a testament to the performers themselves as well as the writing that they brought them to life so well to be that meaningful.

And that's not even taking in to account characters like Rains Fall and Eagle Flies who I really liked too.

13 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Also, it's possible that I was just having awful luck but a lot of the time the game would break in these baffling ways that completely fucked up the immersion in the world that the game wants you to have. I took the exact same woman with a busted ankle back to Emerald Ranch twice. At the end of a side mission chain that was heavily hunting-centric, I went to interact with the final animal I had hunted and was sent plummeting through the ground and ended up like fifty feet away. In the epilogue, I suddenly ran into the same bickering escaped convicts who I had helped in the main story, seemingly right back to where they were before like nothing happened. And in the final mission a character got shot and instead of dying, remained frozen in the animation they were in before they were shot until I walked up and bumped into them, at which point they ragdolled down. Just not what I was expecting from Rockstar, particularly with the knowledge of what a long, grueling process making this game was. 

I had the same thing with stranger missions re-appearing, and it was frustrating to me as well. I just ended up ignoring them, but if I was 100% hunting it would have been even worse I imagine.

Man, I think it was the end of Chapter 3 made me feel really bad

Spoiler

As I was walking into Rhodes, I was swearing about going in there with Sean, who always seems to get us into shit.......and then he gets his head blown off. I felt like a real prick :(