The Nintendo Switch Thread

GoGo Yubari

I honestly haven't cared much about a Nintendo console for any length of time since the N64. GameCube was okay but blown away by competition, Wii was great for a few months and a couple of games (SUPER PAPER MARIO!) but never grabbed me beyond that, and the less said about the mess of the Wii U the better.

I'm really hoping the NX finally makes some real strides cause I love Nintendo first party games, but their general hub has been absolutely annihilated in competition by X-Box and PlayStation over the years for me.

25 minutes ago, apsham said:

I am really excited for this and I don't really know why.

I think because they are legitimately making a potentially viable console that is different than the PS4 and the XBOX One. The WiiU was a gimmicky flop. If the NX is a high powered hand held console for both home and away, that is a really great idea. I can't take my XBOX One on the bus with me or take it on a plane or back home at Christmas to dull the sounds of Christmas arguing. It is a really smart idea... if it is done right. It is taking two things we already love (Nintendo Consoles! Nintendo Handhelds!) and saying :

c7NJRa2.gif?noredirect

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I hope this means a price drop for the Wii U. Quite a few games on there I'd like to play. I think it'd be a neat present for the kiddos for Christmas.

I brought this up in the Nintendo thread, but if the kiddos are super interested in playing the online content of the games ... tread lightly. Who knows how long the servers of some of these games will keep going. 

I haven't sold my WiiU, but I sold off a bunch of games and kept Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Super Mario World, because they are classics and I can plug the game and the controller in at any point and play. I did sell off Mario Maker and Splatoon, because those games are probably only as valuable as long as the online servers are going. 

People criticise Nintendo for the Wii U gimmick, and I think that's fair enough from a marketing perspective. What I liked, however, was that developers were never under any obligation to use said gimmick and were free to use as many or as few of the system's features as they liked. I like the Vita for the same reason, and it's something that I felt the Wiimotes restricted.

I'm in the same boat, but I think Nintendo's reluctance to embrace modern ideas has had some positives. The Wii U was the only last-gen/current gen system fully backwards compatible with its previous model and online play is still free. If they keep going along those lines and make a system that's developer-friendly and affordable, I'll be very happy.

@Bobfoc... I actually believe that was not Super Mario 3D World but an entirely new Mario Game, but I haven't played that game in a while so I could be wrong. But it did resemble the Super Mario 3D World vibe. 

• Like 1

My main takeaways from that trailer are that guy should really watch his dog if they're going to be out in public like that, and that if someone brought a Nintendo Switch to a social gathering without asking first I'd kind of be like "that's a little rude".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

In that case, that's fabulous. I'd be on board for that.

Don't quote me on it, but I remember playing 3D World and nothing I can remember about the game in any way looked like that first scene. In addition, the Splatoon map they showed didn't look like any map I played on Splatoon... so it may be an entirely new game and/or they've added a butt load new content to it. 

It could be new Mario and Splatoon games OR the old games with a lot of new content added.