EWB Film Club

Jimmy

When I was part of a book club online, it was run under the idea of drawing names at random. However, if you commented on a book, your name would be in twice for the next drawing, 3 times for the third, etc until you got picked. Effectively, it rewards involvement or at least attempts to promote it.

2 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

No Robocop? I am out. :(

Robocop is real good. I love movies that create alternate worlds and really commit to it. Robocop does it so well.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

No Robocop? I am out. :(

Why no Robocop? It's great. Would totally do a week where we had to watch a Paul Verhoeven film, he's had such an interesting and varied career. 

and okay, let's start!

I think we should just kinda freestyle and see how this goes and kind of work it out as we go. 

@Liam, wanna start us off? I'm gonna leave it really loose for now as to what people can pick: they can either pick a specific film, a director, an actor, a specific movement or give us an option of a few films that are linked somehow

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

yeah Dexter Fletcher done good with that one 

I was surprised. I wasn't expecting much because I thought "Oh, another cockney gangster thing" but it was so much more than that. I even bought it on DVD!

I'm probably not going to do this due to numerous other projects/running loads of fucking miles, but I can offer you a starting point if you want? 

I'm not sure if this is too obvious, or a little cliche considering everything I could go for, but I feel Stephen King adaptations fits nicely here, considering Halloween, new adaptations of his stuff coming out soon, etc.

Since you said a few, my suggestions would be Carrie (original), The Shining and Misery. If you think these are likely to be too obvious, you could open it up to include others, or all. I'll leave it up to you.

If you want one a bit more left field in terms of King, Dolores Claiborne keeps popping up on my research. Kathie Bates again doing a King film.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

I'm probably not going to do this due to numerous other projects/running loads of fucking miles, but I can offer you a starting point if you want? 

I'm not sure if this is too obvious, or a little cliche considering everything I could go for, but I feel Stephen King adaptations fits nicely here, considering Halloween, new adaptations of his stuff coming out soon, etc.

Since you said a few, my suggestions would be Carrie (original), The Shining and Misery. If you think these are likely to be too obvious, you could open it up to include others, or all. I'll leave it up to you.

If you want one a bit more left field in terms of King, Dolores Claiborne keeps popping up on my research. Kathie Bates again doing a King film.

Carrie and Misery are pretty miss for me, but I've never actually watched The Shining. This seems as good an excuse as any, I guess :P 

WEEK ONE 

• Watch a Stephen King adaptation. 
  • Liam's Suggestions: The Shining, Misery and Carrie (original). It doesn't have to be one of these.
  • Bonus points if it's a horror themed one, which most of them are. 
  • You have until Saturday 23:59 GMT to watch. 

I watched Christine the other day, which would've fit the ball. Wanted to watch Misery for a while now, so might go for that.

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

WEEK ONE 

• Watch a Stephen King adaptation. 
  • Liam's Suggestions: The Shining, Misery and Carrie (original). It doesn't have to be one of these.
  • Bonus points if it's a horror themed one, which most of them are. 
  • You have until Saturday 23:59 GMT to watch. 

I watched Christine the other day, which would've fit the ball. Wanted to watch Misery for a while now, so might go for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Stephen_King#Film

For those who need something.

Also, are you suggesting you haven't seen Misery?

UK Netflix has the 2002 Carrie (and the 1999 sequel to the original called The Rage: Carrie 2), Thinner, Sometimes They Come Back and The Shawshank Redemption.

I'm leaning towards The Shining (easy since I have it on bluray already) or Misery as that was one I was contemplating watching during Halloween a few years when I was doing a bunch of films based on King works but it didn't strike me as overly horror.