EWB Film Club

Jimmy

1 hour ago, I DDT 'Em. said:

Children of the Corn is on Netflix, Misery and The Mist are available on Amazon Prime streaming, and Carrie is available on Hulu

I enjoyed The Mist but its one of those films I can only watch once.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, King Ghidorah Ellis said:

UK Netflix has the 2002 Carrie (and the 1999 sequel to the original called The Rage: Carrie 2), Thinner, Sometimes They Come Back and The Shawshank Redemption.

I'm leaning towards The Shining (easy since I have it on bluray already) or Misery as that was one I was contemplating watching during Halloween a few years when I was doing a bunch of films based on King works but it didn't strike me as overly horror.

Holy shit, Stephen King wrote Shawshank Redemption? That is so odd to me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Holy shit, Stephen King wrote Shawshank Redemption? That is so odd to me.

Fun fact: In the film Andy asks "Why do they call you Red?" and the Red (who in the film is black, for anyone unaware) responds "Maybe it's cause I'm Irish", because in the book, red is indeed a ginger Irishman.

22 hours ago, GA! said:

I finally have an excuse to watch Stand By Me.

I love the shit out of that movie. I think I saw the movie well before I ever read the short story it's based on, but man, for me, that's just one of those movies that I can watch over.. and over.. and over, and never get tired of.

Does Creepshow count? It's two King short stories + three screenplays written by him for the film, directed by George Romero. Immensely quotable. It has Leslie Nielsen in one of my favorite roles ever, where he's a rich psycho trying to get revenge on his wife and her lover.

I CAN HOLD MY BREATH FOR A LOOOOOONG TIME

It would be super fun to rewatch It, because seeing that as a young kid messed me up for a while.  But I'm probably going to just go with Misery, since I'm another one of the people who have never seen it before.  I've always figured that going in knowing a good amount of the story (gained through osmosis from previously being a King fan) it would ruin the movie, but I guess I'm going to find out!

I watched The Dead Zone the other day as a run-up-to-Halloween sort of thing for a blog. Great film. Are we posting about the films in here or having a second thread for discussion?

• Like 1

Since I've seen most of the suggested King films I decided to watch Apt Pupil by Stephen King. That was a weird watch. Really weird power dynamics going on throughout the whole film. The two main characters are acted well and there is no sense of a good guy/bad guy thing going on since they, are practically, both tweeners and swap between face and heel. I wont spoil the plot and story too much but there is a whole nazi thing going on and it does get a bit strange. Its not a bad film but I dunno if it is the kinda thing for a fun Sunday afternoon film to watch after you and the missus have had a quick shag after a roast lunch. 

The Shining was quite good. Its pace feels quite slow but is never boring. Nicholson is great. I've never really seen any of his well-known work. He plays the part so well. I'm not typically a fan of horror/thriller stuff, but this was fun to watch.

It was also fun to read up about how things were different from the book. 

Rewatched Children of the Corn on Halloween. I was surprised to read it's poorly reviewed on rottentomatoes as I think it's a really enjoyable film. There are things I'd change about it, like Linda Hamilton could have been more than just a damsel in distress, and Isaac could have been a bigger part once possessed by he who walks behind the rows, but overall it's engaging, keeps things moving, and is only 92 minutes. Obviously it's no Shining, but I'd put it as a stronger film than It in terms of rewatchability.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

Since I've seen most of the suggested King films I decided to watch Apt Pupil by Stephen King. That was a weird watch. Really weird power dynamics going on throughout the whole film. The two main characters are acted well and there is no sense of a good guy/bad guy thing going on since they, are practically, both tweeners and swap between face and heel. I wont spoil the plot and story too much but there is a whole nazi thing going on and it does get a bit strange. Its not a bad film but I dunno if it is the kinda thing for a fun Sunday afternoon film to watch after you and the missus have had a quick shag after a roast lunch. 

It's been years since I've read the novella or seen the movie, but if I'm remembering correctly, if you think the movie is weird, you should read the novella. They played down the weirdness quite a bit in the flick.

Fun fact, Apt Pupil was adapted from a book that also contained the stories that were adapted into Stand By Me (The Body) and the Shawshank Redemption (Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption). 

23 hours ago, DFF said:

I watched The Dead Zone the other day as a run-up-to-Halloween sort of thing for a blog. Great film. Are we posting about the films in here or having a second thread for discussion?

So, The Dead Zone is bloody good.

Basic plot: Christopher Walken plays a teacher who ends up in a 5 year coma due to a traffic accident. When he wakes up, he finds his girlfriend has married another bloke, and that Walken has gained the ability to 'see' (sort of visions of) events connected to people, whenever he touches their hand. The rest of the film is a series of events where he uses this ability, as he wrestles with the idea of whether it is a gift or a curse.

Walken is brilliant as the lead. There's likeable, sort of sombre earnest quality about how he plays it, making him very easy to root for. The supporting cast is strong too and includes: Tom Skerritt (Alien), Herbert Lom (The Ladykillers, The Pink Panther series) and Anthony Zerbe (Star Trek: Insurrection, The Omega Man), Brooke Adams (1978s Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Days of Heaven) and the always excellent Martin Sheen.

I haven't read the book, but I did Wiki it afterwards to look for similarities/differences, and it seems that a fair bit was cut. Even then, then go through quite a bit, quite quickly, in the 100ish minutes it's on.

4/5

I watched The Mist (2007) because no one had really brought it up and it is an under the radar horror film. I have strong feelings about this film. 

I thought the concept of the movie and execution was for the most part good. They kept the action isolated to one area and they worked with it. It is a safe horror movie ploy - you round up people, isolate them, present the appearance of safety and pull it all out from underneath them. 

Marcia Gay Harden, it goes without saying, has the best performance of the movie. It is funny to see this movie has a bunch of actors who have bigger roles later. 

However, the movie is entirely ruined by the worst ending to a movie I think I have ever seen. This twist retroactively made me disdain this entire movie. I would not invest my time in a movie which completely shits the bed in the last 2 minutes of the movie. 

The main protagonist, believing that the Mist is upon him and his son, only has one bullet left. He opts to shoot his son to spare him the misery of what is to come. However, moments after the military comes and saves him. The movie almost immediately ends. It is terrible.

0/5