Watch Dogs 2

Baddar

Out Tuesday.

Anyone picking this up? The first was overhyped to shit and ended up nowhere near as good as anyone hoped, after seeing the reveal trailer. I still enjoyed it though, and I'm interested to see how the sequel is now that they've taken fan feedback on board.

I'm still playing through Mafia 3 so I don't know how much time I'll devote to this early on but I'll definitely pick it up on release.

I'm interested.  But will I pick it up on Tuesday?  No.  If Assassins Creed has taught me anything, its that Ubisoft will make a terrible first game in a series(AC1, Watch_Dogs, The Division), then learn from their mistakes and make the sequel/patch better.  I'm very interested in Watch_Dogs2, but I'll wait until the patches start to roll out

I'll be getting it on release. Early birthday Present. Like @Lint I'm hoping the Ubisoft formula kicks in again. Decent but flawed first game. Terrific second game.

Gonna hold off on using the DLC, so if it does turn out terrible, I can take it back and grab Dishonored II instead.

The previews make it sound as if this could well be better than the original, which I never played after seeing the reaction it was getting from most players. This would never be a day-one purchase for me, but I could possibly see myself giving it a go further down the line if the right people are saying the right things about it.

5 hours ago, Lint said:

I'm interested.  But will I pick it up on Tuesday?  No.  If Assassins Creed has taught me anything, its that Ubisoft will make a terrible first game in a series(AC1, Watch_Dogs, The Division), then learn from their mistakes and make the sequel/patch better.  I'm very interested in Watch_Dogs2, but I'll wait until the patches start to roll out

I liked AC1 :(

I mean, it was tedious and grindy as hell with too much sameishness in missions. But I feel the way you prepared and executed the kills was brilliant, and the game world looked amazing despite it being desert brown. I felt the later AC's were significantly better than 1, but they never really returned to having to be patient to find that window of opportunity to get away with nobody noticing what happened.

Everything I have seen on preview feels a little.. off to me. It seems like everything they are showing or have had YouTubers play boils down to a few moments of "ha! isn't it neat they put that in the game" and I've yet to see if it's going to be something that wears off after some novelty or not. I'll look into it but more than likely when he's half-price.

I didn't find the first one to be all that bad. Not quite what they hyped but from what I've played it's not too bad. I still need to finish it though and get the rest of the story. This one looks pretty good but to me it all depends on the story. I'm also hoping Aiden makes a cameo appearance.

• Like 2

I had it bundled in with my Playstation and have only just played it, it was a solid enough game. Enjoyable for sure, I'll certainly give Watch Dogs 2 a go in the future but right now my to play pile is getting sky high!

I wasn't that impressed with the gameplay trailer where the guy says he's going to infiltrate someone's apartment using stealth, then he drives a little drone right past a guard and ends up whipping out an SMG and gunning everyone down to escape.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

I wasn't that impressed with the gameplay trailer where the guy says he's going to infiltrate someone's apartment using stealth, then he drives a little drone right past a guard and ends up whipping out an SMG and gunning everyone down to escape.

You can't judge a game on a shitty player :P 

46 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

That's most people's approach to stealth gameplay.

That's what I do. Not intentionally do. I trie to using stealth but at some point I make a mistake, get detected, say to myslef "Fuck it, I'm not re-starting this level/mission" and then go in all guns blazing.

AC2, Brotherhood and 4 were all better than the first, but seriously, I totally bought into the original Assassin's Creed. The setting was brilliant, the sight of the first city asyou crested the hill on the horse was breathtaking and a number of the assassins were very nicely done. Also a lot of the concepts were amazing. That said, future games did of course improve pretty much everything, but then I DO love a flawed, but "different" game (eg Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Remember Me, Mirror's Edge).

As for Watch Dogs, I totally bought into that too and although it started wel I agree that it lacked some of the promise that was originally set out for it. After a while I found myself thinking "I wish I was playing GTAV instead" and at that point I switched back to GTAV and didn't play it again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

AC2, Brotherhood and 4 were all better than the first, but seriously, I totally bought into the original Assassin's Creed. The setting was brilliant, the sight of the first city asyou crested the hill on the horse was breathtaking and a number of the assassins were very nicely done. Also a lot of the concepts were amazing. That said, future games did of course improve pretty much everything, but then I DO love a flawed, but "different" game (eg Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Remember Me, Mirror's Edge).

I only properly played AC: Black Flag and it was a terrific game. A few minor gameplay issues aside, it was just amazing. It was fun, I loved the story, the controls were good, the "acting" so to speak was great, the story was really well told and I loved the ending. Plus I like pirates.

I tried to get through Watch Dogs 1 twice. And the second time I really tried focusing on doing just the story for completionist sakes... But I just couldn't get through it, despite not having been fussed by the hype (got the game for free off a graphics card).

I felt whilst the action had some great original concepts involved, the characters and the story just never captured my interest at all. I felt Aiden was a boring hero, and it never gave me a feeling that his crusade was one I had to fully commit to. His family getting abducted tried to add some emotion to the story, but both Aiden's sister and nephew were barely touched upon and I really didn't care much about them as a result of it.

Then there was the old mentor, who again, was crazy for the sake of crazy and didn't add much to the story other than just another concept. The gothy hacker-chick/fan service also felt like a tacked on 'sidekick' who brought no real story of her own.

And in truth, I felt that Aiden was just a gigantic asshole to everyone for no good reason. I mean, I don't mind a 'dark' hero, but he was being a whiny edgelord asshole even to the people that were trying to help him without ulterior motives.

As a whole, Watch Dogs 1 felt like a lot of tropes and concepts thrown into each other, but nobody ever really managed to stitch it all together into a satisfying game that you wanted to finish. The gameplay wasn't good enough to get me to continue, and the story wasn't good enough to get me to continue. So in the end, I stopped caring pretty quickly (When I had to infiltrate some gangster's crackhouse, or something).

I truly hope that WD2 will change that, but i've become skeptical with Ubisoft ever since after Assassins Creed 3 and the Ezio/Desmond story. Because all the AC's after 3 also had the same issues I had with WD1 (Good concepts, but nothing to keep me going till the end).