Hellraiser

36 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

Elsie could be alive. Didn't think about that. Would make sense. We also didn't see her die. We saw her struggle. Both when the attack of Bernard happened and in Bernard's memory. But we didn't see him killing her like we did when he killed Theresa. That would be awesome. I really like Elsie and was miffed when she supposedly died.

As for Ford I'm not sure whether he has planned this whole uprising or not but he has been very calm about all the host malfunctions. Originally I just thought that he was so distracted by the board of director's ploy that he simply didn't notice. But for someone who prides himself with always being one step ahead it seems strange that he doesn't seem to notice what's going on and I doubt someone with a god complex like him simply wouldn't care if his creation suddenly starts to become sentient.

Possible if he didn't plan it out he has a backdoor to control it. And only he knows how to use it (except perhaps Elsie who found it out right before Bernard showed up?).

I also had a question about the picture of Arnold, Ford, and the third person. We already had it established that Bernard was programmed not to see himself in the picture. Is it possible Bernard is also not programmed to see someone else in the picture? Namely Dolores. It would make a lot of sense as the oldest host in the park and also the one who likely killed Arnold, for her to be kept around only due to some sentimentality from Ford. If I recall the person in the middle in that picture was one of the hosts in Ford's family home. 

We also have the question about Arnold's own code in all the hosts. So even if Ford is building them he is using some kind of code from Arnold. Hence why he would program in a backdoor?

Here's a spoiler-filled reddit post that lays out the chronology of Westworld.

It's a good refresher or tool to use to explain to anyone who's confused about the show, I think.

Building on a point I made last week, given a piece of info from this week's episode:

Spoiler

I feel like the host that is being used to get all of the company info out of the park (Dolores' father) is either going to successfully make it out and somehow return, thus explaining his freakout over the photo early on.

OR - what I'm feeling is now more likely - he's going to meet Logan's sister, as she is the person in that photo. I think that would suggest something traumatic happens when they meet as well.

Overall, I really adore this show so far. The plot is intriguing, sure, and there are lots of great performances, cinematography, etc., but the real kicker is handling of themes like life, consciousness, death, birth, afterlife, reincarnation, etc.

The only complaints I presently have are:

- I still have this nagging feeling of patriarchal motivations informing who is shown nude or having sex and in what context. It's not as full-on male gazey as GoT, but it doesn't seem entirely absent. There are mitigating factors here. Men are shown nude as well, but the nude female body gets a hell of a lot more screen time. One could also argue that the scenes that portray women as sex objects are there to say "Look how awful this is", but I don't know that I'm satisfied with that explanation.

- Native Americans portrayed as "savages." This could be explained by the idea that Ford and other creators made that choice, not the showrunners. But I feel about that the same way that I feel about the above. Like, what is gained? Another somewhat helpful explanation would be that Elsie is now controlling the Native American hosts in some way. In other words, she drew Stubbs out and used those hosts to get a hold of him once he was there. Kind of a shot in the dark though. And incomplete - it doesn't address their portrayal before she might theoretically do that, and why use those specific hosts for that anyway?

- The actress who plays Charlotte, the board representative who showed up just a couple of episodes back. She's not awful, but she isn't nearly as stellar as the rest of the cast.

All that said, I look at this in much the same way Anita Sarkeesian looks at video games: you can find something problematic but still enjoy it. In this case, I really enjoy it. I still say this show has already established itself as being superior to GoT.

Edited by fhqwhjosh

The only way I've been able to piece anything together has been through fan communities and discussions. Otherwise I think I'd arrive at some of the same conclusions everyone else does, but largely be like "The fuck is going on?"

• Like 1

I bingewatched up to episode 7 and while I was waiting for 7 to come out I started checking out the Westworld subreddit. That was the first time I encountered the multiple timelines thing and was like "... woah".

I've been on board since episode 1, honestly it doesn't strike me as something that works well as a bingewatch. Needing to have a week off helps me process everything from the previous episode before plunging into the next one.

Also the photo is really confusing. The only possible explanation I've been able to come up with is that he either saw it at some point in the past and it was part of a traumatic experience, or he met the woman in the photo when she still looked like that. Either way it's rooted in something that happened 30 years ago, and I can only assume he is the last host you want leaving the park.

46 minutes ago, damshow said:

I've been on board since episode 1, honestly it doesn't strike me as something that works well as a bingewatch. Needing to have a week off helps me process everything from the previous episode before plunging into the next one.

Reveal hidden contents

Also the photo is really confusing. The only possible explanation I've been able to come up with is that he either saw it at some point in the past and it was part of a traumatic experience, or he met the woman in the photo when she still looked like that. Either way it's rooted in something that happened 30 years ago, and I can only assume he is the last host you want leaving the park.

Spoiler

Ah, right. I don't why, but I wouldn't have realized that he could have met her long before he was selected to be sent out if you hadn't pointed that out. Until then, every explanation I could think of made the timeline circular.

Re: the nudity, they made a decision to make many of their stronger host characters female, namely Dolores And Maven. They also decided to have debriefings... Sans briefs. I dont think the nudity is done for titillation at all, and I think that taking away the female nudity would mean taking away screen time from strong female characters, so... Lose lose really.

That said, there is always room for more naked Steven Ogg.

Here's a thought, could any of us afford it? <_<

10 hours ago, damshow said:

Hide contents

The theory I've heard about that is

Spoiler

That William and Logan will encounter Abernathy in his previous role, as a Shakespeare-quoting cannibal cult leader. In Dolores' flashback you could hear him practicing his Shakespeare lines, so that seems like it confirms that he's one of the older hosts in the park. Somehow he sees the photo in the past and that's why it triggers his breakdown in the present.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Here's a thought, could any of us afford it? <_<

The theory I've heard about that is

Hide contents

That William and Logan will encounter Abernathy in his previous role, as a Shakespeare-quoting cannibal cult leader. In Dolores' flashback you could hear him practicing his Shakespeare lines, so that seems like it confirms that he's one of the older hosts in the park. Somehow he sees the photo in the past and that's why it triggers his breakdown in the present.

That seems the most plausible. Whatever his role, he'll see the picture.

1 minute ago, Gigan Lars said:

I will watch this somewhere in January after I have finally finished the Wire which I just started rewatching for most part. How good is this?

Very good.

Even down to the music.

• Like 1

You say it like it's surprising, Ramin Djawadi did the music for Westworld and he's done some of the best soundtracks of the late 2000s/2010s. Westworld, Game of Thrones, the first Iron Man movie, Pacific Rim, etc.