Hellraiser

I'm struggling with this season so far. The end of episode three was a nice tease, but I'm finding it hard to really get into the rest of the content. I definitely don't care much for the backstory stuff we've had so far. And, while the world building is nice, there's definitely a sense of emotional depth that's missing - for me, anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Bernard, what do you see?"

"There... there's a dog."

"But what about the code...? How can we repair these systems?"

"I want to... to pet the dog...""

This season has been really disjointed, but it's got the feel that in the last 4 episodes a lot is gonna come together.

Ford basically achieved immortality by uploading his consciousness to the system. And there might be multiple Bernards? With one actually being Arnold?

Is Dolores programmed to destroy everything, or is she actually acting out on free will? And poor Maeve, replaced as mother.

15 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

This season has been really disjointed, but it's got the feel that in the last 4 episodes a lot is gonna come together.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

See I don't understand how nobody saw this coming? I mean surely she must know how it works, the two tech guys will have had an idea the writer will have flat out known.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lars Kuyt said:

This season is so confusing or am I just stupid? 

I feel the same. I think it really suffers from having to wait a week between episodes so I've decided to not watch anymore until the season has finished and watch them all back-to-back

Oh yeah the last 2 episodes have both been fantastic. Sunday's episode actually had me emotionally attached to a character in a way the show has often failed at.

I can agree it's a bit tough to keep track of, the big difference perhaps being that the timelines in season 1 were a bit more spread out in terms of time. Now we're dealing with a ton of things crammed into like 2 weeks worth of time. It's certainly the kind of show that lends itself to sitting down and watching it all in one weekend, so that you don't forget things over the course of the week.

• Like 1

This week’s episode was one of the best they’ve done in the entire series for me. Akecheta is such a great character.

I’m starting to wonder if the hosts transfer their brains into human bodies by the end of the seasons. Hence the bodies in the valley. Although I don’t really know what that would mean for the future.

58 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Akecheta is such a great character

Yeah he is, he's been crazy awesome.

I also feel like this show was really missing Anthony Hopkins.

Well, in spoilers because it was a doozy of an episode.

William has always been a liar and a fraud but up until now he's been able to have control over his own lies. Now he's snapped, and killed his daughter. It was a heavy moment. Him cutting open his arm at the very end makes me think that he is questioning his own humanity at this point. Is he a host already? Has he just been operating according to some insane story Ford put in place how many years ago? So many questions, with the answer probably being no and William has just lost his ability to understand reality.

Teddy killing himself (probably, since we still don't know for sure the hosts can't be brought back) was expected. Dolores has tried to control and manipulate him, but as the hosts are gaining self-awareness and can make their own decisions there was no way he wouldn't figure out some of what she had done.

I suspect a ton else, including the flooded valley we saw at the end of episode 1, are getting explained in the 90-minute season finale next week.

I just watched the whole season over the last 3 days because I really hate having this show spread out because I forget stuff.

Spoiler

The post credit thing didn't make sense to me. The way I understand it is the whole thing is William's fidelity test like he did with Delos before but maybe that's wrong? They killed off most of my favorite characters this season which really sucks but I mean the nature of the show makes me think they'll all be back well except for William's daughter and Elsie :( 

Bernard is by far my favorite character on the show. He feels like the hero to me while Delores is feeling more like a misguided villain to me. That's probably subjective but that's how I feel about it. Was really glad to see Bernard was still around at the end. Are there 2 Delores now? Tessa Delores and Evan Delores? That's kinda cool and I don't really want to lose either one for Season 3

2 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I just watched the whole season over the last 3 days because I really hate having this show spread out because I forget stuff.

Hide contents

The post credit thing didn't make sense to me. The way I understand it is the whole thing is William's fidelity test like he did with Delos before but maybe that's wrong? They killed off most of my favorite characters this season which really sucks but I mean the nature of the show makes me think they'll all be back well except for William's daughter and Elsie :( 

Bernard is by far my favorite character on the show. He feels like the hero to me while Delores is feeling more like a misguided villain to me. That's probably subjective but that's how I feel about it. Was really glad to see Bernard was still around at the end. Are there 2 Delores now? Tessa Delores and Evan Delores? That's kinda cool and I don't really want to lose either one for Season 3

Spoiler

My biggest complaint about this show is that killing off a character means nothing. Everyone can come back at any time. Teddy's scene was genuinely heartbreaking but Delores has his brain ball. 

Spoiler

I am in a similar state of confusion with the post-credit scene. I have literally no idea what it was, or what it was suggesting. I just don't understand. At all. 

I was sad when Elsie died. I like Elsie. 

Other than that, I thought the finale was handled really well, there were some really good moments in it. You had James Delos' final conversation with his son, Akechetabeing reunited with his wife and Mauve seeing that her daughter would finally be safe on the other side. Lee's speech and demise was a little cringeworthy to me, but it was fitting, seeing as though he was the speech guy. 

I'm guessing there might be some sort of Dolores army in season 3. There's definitely two versions of her now. 

I worry about how Bernard is going to function in the real world though.

The post-credits scene appeared to be taking place well into the future, making me think William is long since dead and now stuck in this endless loop at the park. I mean, I guess he basically asked for it but it's a bit weird. Plenty of explanations for it though.

Elsie dying sucked, but only human deaths have any meaning anyway since as long as the host's brain ball things are intact they can be brought back as many times as possible. Which is a good thing for all my favorite hosts still left in the park, and it likely means we'll get some more exploration of other parks in the coming seasons. I don't know if the parks will reopen or they'll just fall into decay, but since they're actually cleaning up I would think it's gonna be the first option.

A neat twist was Stubbs being a host. I guess it explains why he worked there for so long despite kinda sucking at his job.

It's an ensemble cast for sure, but Bernard just feels like the main protagonist right now. I am extremely interested in seeing where everything with him, Delores, Delores II, and the hosts she dragged out of the park, goes. I'm glad we get interaction with the "real world".

Westworld walks a tightrope between being confusing for confusion's sake and actually telling a compelling story. The fact that hosts don't actually die hurts a lot of the narrative, and there's only so many human characters left for them to do anything with. Most of the characters I root against, with Maeve and Bernard being my heroes, and everyone else basically being villains. But it's trying to present things in different shades which is good. Overall I still really like this show, but man, it can so easily just fall off the rails if they're not careful.

Finally saw the finale and read your reactions. One thing:

Spoiler

People have referred to 2 Doloreses. I don’t think that’s the case. It seemed like Dolores was put into the new Evan body, leaving the question of who is inside the Hale body. After all, we saw that Dolores as Hale escaped the park with several brain balls. The question is who those are.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...