Tropes

MDK

Anything that you like or annoys you?

One of, my many, tropes that annoy me is when a character in a film or tv show just asks "for a beer". In an age where there is so much product placement you'd think that someone could ask for a pint of Stella or a bottle of Bud or whatever. No problems in showing a can of freshly chilled Coca Cola but no, asking for a pint of Baltika is too much. Occasionally you'll get someone asking for a Guiness but its always that Irish caricature.

Every time when a scientific achievement is made that could radically alter humanity or some kind of ancient magical artifact is found that could grant us unimaginable powers there is some character or some faction that tries to destroy that thing because "humanity isn't ready for this yet" or" the potential for this to be abused is too big". That annoys me greatly. Who the fuck are you to decide that for the rest of humanity? They did that in the latest Tomb Raider game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MDK said:

Anything that you like or annoys you?

One of, my many, tropes that annoy me is when a character in a film or tv show just asks "for a beer". In an age where there is so much product placement you'd think that someone could ask for a pint of Stella or a bottle of Bud or whatever. No problems in showing a can of freshly chilled Coca Cola but no, asking for a pint of Baltika is too much. Occasionally you'll get someone asking for a Guiness but its always that Irish caricature.

I've not really thought of this before, but yeah, you're right. Maybe it's down to not wanting to partake in product placement if they don't have a sponsorship in place?

Another one that annoys me is when someone gets knocked out and they wake hours later. People are only unconscious for about a minute tops, if they have been out for hours then they have had a serious head injury.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
(EDIT: Er, file that under 'annoying'.)

In the same vein - any film where there's someone who they fall in love with and will solve all their life's problems.

Manic Pixie Dream Girl gets specifically (and justifiably) shit on because in the early 2000s it was rife, but women's fantasy films do the same bullshit. It was everywhere in the 90s. It's the "Disney Princess" effect, where people are deluded into believing all they need is one person to marry and fix all life's problems.

In reality, life's just shit, don't matter who you love or who loves you.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Benji said:

In the same vein - any film where there's someone who they fall in love with and will solve all their life's problems.

Manic Pixie Dream Girl gets specifically (and justifiably) shit on because in the early 2000s it was rife, but women's fantasy films do the same bullshit. It was everywhere in the 90s. It's the "Disney Princess" effect, where people are deluded into believing all they need is one person to marry and fix all life's problems.

In reality, life's just shit, don't matter who you love or who loves you.

Was is Zooey Deschanel that made that role her own?

I tend to pretty much dislike most tropes in movies. But my least favorite is at the climax of the movie, when the entire team seems to fractured but in that moment they are able to rally together and overcome the odds. I went to see the movie Hercules with my better half and right at the climax of the movie, he turned over and saw the biggest look of disgust on my face and he started bursting into laughter. When we saw the new Spiderman reboot and all of New York move all the cranes and obstacles so Spiderman can get to the big bad guy, I legitimately walked out of the movie theater and waited for the rest of the movie to end. I mean, the rest of that movie was unbearable, but I just could not with that ending.