Tropes

MDK

19 minutes ago, RPS said:

I tend to pretty much dislike most tropes in movies. But my least favorite is at the climax of the movie, when the entire team seems to fractured but in that moment they are able to rally together and overcome the odds. I went to see the movie Hercules with my better half and right at the climax of the movie, he turned over and saw the biggest look of disgust on my face and he started bursting into laughter. When we saw the new Spiderman reboot and all of New York move all the cranes and obstacles so Spiderman can get to the big bad guy, I legitimately walked out of the movie theater and waited for the rest of the movie to end. I mean, the rest of that movie was unbearable, but I just could not with that ending. 

That reminds me a of my hatred for the ending of The Sum of all Fears. The film was alright, I like a bit of sneaky spy stuff, but the last scene of the film was bullshit. I saw it in the cinema and my mate just shouted out "BULLSHIT" and got up and left. Same thing with San Andreas, I enjoy a good disaster movie and it was fun, but the gratuitous 'MURICA stuff right at the end made me want to be sick.

Mine is the "Guy/Girl/Boy/Anyone travels in time/to another planet/has a supernatural adventure, finds a love interest,lost the love interest and then finds someone that looks exactly the same and have a happy ending. See Night at the museum 2, that time travel movie with Martin Lawrence.

Also the movies where criminals are the "Hero of the story" while commiting crimes for their own gain,see Ocean's Eleven,Fast and Furious 5.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Saint Bernard said:

The Vinnie Jones headbutt in Lock Stock does it for me. 

As much as I love the Vinnie Jones headbutt, and you know how much I love that, nothing will ever beat Paul Kaye in this:

• Like 1

Coming up to Christmas, I don't know if this a generally accepted existing trope or not but one I have grown a fondness for over the years is something I dub "bad shit that happens to Santa Claus (or at least a guy pretending to be Santa), usually in front of children" (rolls off the tongue, I know). Some favourite examples of mine, in order of escalation:

The Santa Clause

Santa is arrested for kidnapping in front of a street full of children.

Miracle on 34th Street (1994 version)

Santa is goaded into assaulting a guy after being accused of being a paedo, has his picture taken during said arrest which is then plastered on the big screen in the center of Times Square.

Bad Santa

Santa is gunned down by cops as he approaches his safehouse.

Silent Night, Deadly Night

Santa is gunned down by cops...whilst being played by a priest...a deaf priest...in front of dozens of kids...ORPHANED KIDS.

That last one perhaps being the pinnacle of the trope. If there's a better example out there...ooh boy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, King Ghidorah Ellis said:

Coming up to Christmas, I don't know if this a generally accepted existing trope or not but one I have grown a fondness for over the years is something I dub "bad shit that happens to Santa Claus (or at least a guy pretending to be Santa), usually in front of children" (rolls off the tongue, I know). Some favourite examples of mine, in order of escalation:

The Santa Clause

Santa is arrested for kidnapping in front of a street full of children.

Miracle on 34th Street (1994 version)

Santa is goaded into assaulting a guy after being accused of being a paedo, has his picture taken during said arrest which is then plastered on the big screen in the center of Times Square.

Bad Santa

Santa is gunned down by cops as he approaches his safehouse.

Silent Night, Deadly Night

Santa is gunned down by cops...whilst being played by a priest...a deaf priest...in front of dozens of kids...ORPHANED KIDS.

That last one perhaps being the pinnacle of the trope. If there's a better example out there...ooh boy.

I really wish I could downvote.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2016 at 05:42, Cloudy said:

Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
(EDIT: Er, file that under 'annoying'.)

Great movie seemingly in response to that called Ruby Sparks. A brooding young writer writes about his dream girl, who comes to life and is controlled by every word he writes. Explores the male ego and how we put people into boxes rather than letting them be their unique selves. There's a scene that years later still raises goosebumps every time I think about it. Creepy at times but worthwhile, I'm a better friend/boyfriend for having seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, mobile phones have ruined films and shows. Before mobiles you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere and all kinds of shit would happen, but now you have to make up a reason for your mobile to not work. "Oh no, no network!" or "Fuckity, my battery is the dead". 

One of my least favorite is when a criminal holds someone in front of them with a gun to their head and the hero/police officer almost always cowers and puts their gun down and tries to negotiate. Just blow their head off! Odds are they aren't gonna shoot their hostage before you shoot them.

Also the killer is always some super-genius mastermind and can't just be an insane maniac out to kill people for completely irrational reasons.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I don't know what it's called, but I hate what I call "the surprise gay". Where a characters sexuality is played for a cheap shock or story. It's my biggest issue with the Avatar universe (Legend of Korra spoilers)...

Spoiler

...that Korra's final moments with Asami were a "surprise, they are gay/bi!" moment. They had dropped very subtle hints, but it still felt entirely like a shitty publicity stunt and not like a genuine affectionate relationship that had grown and was needed in any way, shape, or form.

the worst fucking joke is the one where a character claims to speaks a foreign language and then the subtitles just says some random monkey cheese. There has never been a funny version of this joke. It's the fucking worst.

• Like 1