Formula One 2017

Lineker

• Admin

35px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport (Mercedes)
35px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png #44 Lewis Hamilton
35px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png #77 Valtteri Bottas

35px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Red Bull Racing (Renault, TAG-Heuer branded)
35px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png #3 Daniel Ricciardo
35px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png #33 Max Verstappen

35px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Scuderia Ferrari (Ferrari)
35px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png #5 Sebastian Vettel
35px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png #7 Kimi Räikkönen

35px-Flag_of_India.svg.png Sahara Force India F1 Team (Mercedes)
35px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png #11 Sergio Pérez
35px-Flag_of_France.svg.png #31 Esteban Ocon

35px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Williams Martini Racing (Mercedes)
35px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png #18 Lance Stroll
33px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png #19 Felipe Massa (Rounds 1-10, 12-) / 35px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png #40 Paul di Resta (Round 11)

35px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team (Honda)
35px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png #2 Stoffel Vandoorne
35px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png #14 Fernando Alonso (Rounds 1-5, 7-) / 35px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png #22 Jenson Button (Round 6)

35px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Scuderia Toro Rosso (Renault)
35px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png #26 Daniil Kvyat (Rounds 1-14, 17) / 35px-Flag_of_France.svg.png #10 Pierre Gasly (Round 15-16) / 35px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png #28 Brendon Hartley (Round 18-20)
35px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png #55 Carlos Sainz Jr. (Round 1-16) / 35px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png #39 Brendon Hartley (Round 17) / 35px-Flag_of_France.svg.png #10 Pierre Gasly (Round 18-20)

35px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Haas F1 Team (Ferrari)
35px-Flag_of_France.svg.png #8 Romain Grosjean
31px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png #20 Kevin Magnussen

35px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Renault Sport Formula One Team (Renault)
35px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png #27 Nico Hülkenberg
35px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png #30 Jolyon Palmer (Round 1-16) / 35px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png #55 Carlos Sainz Jr. (Round 17-)

24px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png Sauber F1 Team (Ferrari 061 (2016-spec))
35px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png #9 Marcus Ericsson
35px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png #36 Antonio Giovinazzi (Round 1-2) / 35px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png #94 Pascal Wehrlein (Round 3-)

CALENDAR

27th February-2nd March 2017
23px-Flag_of_Catalonia.svg.png Pre-Season Testing 1 (Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona)

7th-10th March 2017
23px-Flag_of_Catalonia.svg.png Pre-Season Testing 2 (Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona)

26th March 2017
35px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix (Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne)

9th April 2017
35px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ Round 2 - Chinese Grand Prix (Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai)

16th April 2017
35px-Flag_of_Bahrain.svg.png Round 3 - Bahrain Grand Prix (Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir)

30th April 2017
35px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Round 4 - Russian Grand Prix (Sochi Autodrom, Sochi)

14th May 2017
35px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix (Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona)

28th May 2017
29px-Flag_of_Monaco.svg.png Round 6 - Monaco Grand Prix (Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo)

11th June 2017
35px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Round 7 - Canadian Grand Prix (Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal)

25th June 2017
35px-Flag_of_Azerbaijan.svg.png Round 8 - Azerbaijan Grand Prix (Baku City Circuit, Baku)

9th July 2017
35px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Round 9 - Austrian Grand Prix (Red Bull Ring, Spielberg)

16th July 2017
35px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Round 10 - British Grand Prix (Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone)

30th July 2017
35px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png Round 11 - Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring, Budapest)

27th August 2017
35px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Round 12 - Belgian Grand Prix (Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot)

3rd September 2017
35px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Round 13 - Italian Grand Prix (Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza)

17th September 2017
35px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png Round 14 - Malaysian Grand Prix (Sepang International Circuit, Kuala Lumpur)

1st October 2017
35px-Flag_of_Singapore.svg.png Round 15 - Singapore Grand Prix (Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore)

8th October 2017
35px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Round 16 - Japanese Grand Prix (Suzuka International Race Course, Suzuka)

22nd October 2017
35px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Round 17 - United States Grand Prix (Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas)

29th October 2017
35px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Round 18 - Mexican Grand Prix (Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexico City)

12th November 2017
33px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Round 19 - Brazilian Grand Prix (Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo)

26th November 2017
35px-Flag_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates.sv Round 20 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi)

GENERAL CHANGES:

• In September 2016, Liberty Media purchased a minority stake in the sport from CVC Capital Partners ahead of a hoped-for full buyout in time for the 2017 season. As part of the deal, the sport adopted a model similar to that used by the US National Football League and Major League Baseball, with teams entitled to purchase a stake in the sport
  • As a response to widespread changes in the technical regulations expected to increase cornering speeds by up to 40 km/h (24.9 mph), the FIA requested that every circuit on the calendar undergo revisions to update safety features.

TECHNICAL REGULATION CHANGES:

• The technical regulations governing bodywork design were revised for 2017, with the objective of improving lap times by four to five seconds over the 2016 generation of cars. These changes include:
    • An increase of the width of the front wing to 1,800 mm (70.9 in).
    • Lowering the rear wing by 150 mm (5.9 in) and moving its position back by 200 mm (7.9 in).
    • The leading edge of the barge boards being brought forward to allow teams more freedom in controlling airflow.
    • An increase of the width of the front and rear tyres to allow cars to generate more mechanical grip.
    • The minimum weight of the car including the driver being raised by 20 kg to 722 kg, with teams allowed to use 105 kg of fuel to account for the increase in minimum weight.
  • The token system used to regulate power unit development — where the power unit was divided into individual areas, and each area assigned a points value with development of these areas deducting points from a manufacturer's overall points quota — will be abandoned.
  • Restrictions are to be placed on the dimensions, weight and the materials used to build each individual component of the power unit.
  • Teams are restricted to four power units per season regardless of the number of Grands Prix in the season. Previous seasons had included a provision for a fifth power unit if the number of Grands Prix in a season exceeded 20; from 2017, this provision is to be abandoned.
  • The cost of a power unit supply is reduced by €1 million in 2017 ahead of a further reduction in 2018.
  • Cameras will no longer be permitted to be mounted on stalks, located on the nose of the car.

SPORTING REGULATION CHANGES:

• Under rules introduced in 2015, grid penalties for exceeding a driver's quota of power unit components carried over from one race to the next if the penalty could not be fully served when issued. When this carry-over system was abandoned, teams could build up a reserve of spare components by introducing several at once while only serving a single grid penalty. From 2017, teams will only be able to use one new component over their quota per race, with any additional components incurring further penalties. This change prevents teams from "stockpiling" spare power unit components.
  • Power unit suppliers will have an "obligation to supply", mandating that they supply power units to any team, should a team end up without an agreement. The rule was introduced following the breakdown in the relationship between Renault and their customer teams Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso at the end of the 2015 season that left both teams in limbo until deals could be arranged.
  • In the event that a race is declared wet and must start behind the safety car, the grid will follow normal starting procedures once conditions are declared satisfactory for racing. Drivers will line up on the grid for a standing start once the safety car pulls into pit lane, although any laps completed behind the safety car will count towards the total race distance.
  • Like 1

I know that they've had serious issues with the infrastructure at Interlagos before. Maybe with no Brazilian driver looking likely to be on the grid in 2017, Bernie sees it as the perfect opportunity to get rid and hope that Brazil will put some work in during a year off? I mean, losing Brazil would be awful, Interlagos is one of the best circuits IMO 

• Admin
53 minutes ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

I know that they've had serious issues with the infrastructure at Interlagos before. Maybe with no Brazilian driver looking likely to be on the grid in 2017, Bernie sees it as the perfect opportunity to get rid and hope that Brazil will put some work in during a year off? I mean, losing Brazil would be awful, Interlagos is one of the best circuits IMO 

It is believed Ecclestone has been granted a request for the Brazilian date to be left open so he can have more time to get a deal over the line.

From the provisional schedule announced in September, Baku's street race has moved back one week to June 25, avoiding a repeat of 2016's clash with sportscar racing's blue ribband event at Le Mans.

It also eliminates the logistical nightmare and big timezone shift the teams encountered when it followed the Canadian GP in back-to-back events this year.

The British GP moves to one week later in July, leading to a clash with Formula E's New York race and the Wimbledon tennis singles finals.

Singapore was initially pencilled in to run back-to-back with Japan, but it has now swapped back with Malaysia to run as a standalone race in mid-September.

The plan to pair Mexico and Brazil has also been abandoned, with the United States being twinned with the former and Brazil a standalone, as was the case this season.

There are five back-to-back races, compared to seven on the previous draft.

Very sad the German GP has been scrapped twice in three years. You'd really think that with a German WDC, there'd be some sort of grace bestowed on Hockenheim in being able to hold a home race for Rosberg. But apparently money is much more important to the wrong people.

If they find a way to kill the Brazilian GP too, i'll really be dismayed.

Too bad the circuit looks a bit naff, in all honesty. Not that Magny Cours would've been better, but those 3-ish straights aren't gonna do the downforce heavy cars any favours.

1445px-Paul_Ricard.svg.png

The chicanes on the Mistral Straight are ugly as sin too, and look like something out of GT racing rather than F1. But if they remove the chicanes it'll just be one massive straight.
TL;DR, boring track with only two small technical parts.

Jesus fucking christ! What the actual fuck is going on.

I mean I'm happy for Nico that he's champion, and retiring on top of the world is amazing for him... But he's only 31 and he's got all chances ahead of him to add to his tally.

I'm barely registering this because it's so unheard of for such a young driver... And I can only wonder how Mercedes will fill the massive hole in their driver lineup, because guys like Wehrlein are nowhere near the experience for such a job...

But I guess seeing the birth of his first child has given him other priorities in life, and with the highest accolade in the bag, he probably knows that this is the best time if any to walk away, with his youth and able to be there to see his child grow up...

But still, Just... wow, I don't even...

Edited by Jasonmufc

“Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

“This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting ourchampionship first.

“When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time… and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening. After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico’s management team), followed by Toto.

“The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a toughsituation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people,the Silver Arrows.

“Now, I’m just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me…”

Edited by Jasonmufc