Formula One 2017

Lineker

On 18-12-2016 at 14:28, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

Liberty apparently want to try a budget cap again. Because that's gone so well every time it's been suggested before...

Well everytime a cap has come up, there has never been a power-that-be (rd. Bernie) that has fully supported such a course of action. It's always been a fringe idea posted by the non-top teams to equalize the field more, and as such has never been given a real chance to succeed when it came to voting.

Liberty Media are going to be the majority shareholder sooner rather than later, and as such will have much more power to enact such reforms. If the powers that be wills it, it's going to be hard to really stop it from happening.

• Admin

GP2 runner-up Antonio Giovinazzi will be the Ferrari Formula 1 team's 'third driver' in 2017. He will be tasked with simulator duties for the Scuderia, as well as completing F1's mandatory 2017 young driver testing for the squad. These are the only guaranteed Ferrari F1 duties for Giovinazzi next season, who was narrowly defeated by Red Bull's Pierre Gasly in the 2016 GP2 championship. Ferrari will also consider the possibility of Giovinazzi racing in F1 for a customer team next year, or participating in free practice sessions, with a spokesman telling Autosport "nothing is planned; everything is open".

Ferrari has become the first team to announce a launch date for its 2017 car, scheduling it for Friday February 24th next year. It has yet to issue any further details of the event, which will take place three days before pre-season testing begins at Barcelona.

Force India will run Johnnie Walker branding in 2017 as part of a new multi-year deal, replacing the Smirnoff logos on Force India's cars.

Hopefully Gio will get a spot at Sauber or Haas for next season, I always want to see a new kid prove himself on the big stage, and not be stuck in a test driver role with little actual track time to go with that spot. But he'll learn a lot at Ferrari... Still feel bad for Gutierrez though, who seems all but finished at only 25 years old.

I also wonder if McLaren has a new deal planned now that they've lost JW.

• Admin

Renault is poised to land a Formula 1 partnership with oil company BP starting in the 2017 season. The French manufacturer, which in recent years has worked with Total, is looking for a new partner, and it is understood to be closing on a multi-year deal with BP. While McLaren is also set to join forces with BP after Exxon Mobil switched to Red Bull for next year, the British team's deal is believed to be a technical arrangement with a much smaller commercial aspect than Renault is expected to seal.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

Wehrlein has apparently signed with Sauber and will partner Ericsson.

I'm sure Wehrlein had preferred a more diagonal move, since Sauber isn't much better than Manor. But I wonder if there is some Merc money involved that can further help Sauber to crawl out of the pit they've buried themselves into.

Either way, we're bound to see a new livery on the Sauber because No Nasr = No Banco do Brasil = No blue/yellow livery,,, Here's to hoping they don't go with bland gray/silver like their previous livery.

On an unrelated note, Sauber's social media team has gotten themselves an account on Reddit and have been mildly active on the F1 subreddit. Naturally, they're not commenting on rumours and the like, but hopefully it means other teams follow suit.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

I'm sure Wehrlein had preferred a more diagonal move, since Sauber isn't much better than Manor. But I wonder if there is some Merc money involved that can further help Sauber to crawl out of the pit they've buried themselves into.

Either way, we're bound to see a new livery on the Sauber because No Nasr = No Banco do Brasil = No blue/yellow livery,,, Here's to hoping they don't go with bland gray/silver like their previous livery.

On an unrelated note, Sauber's social media team has gotten themselves an account on Reddit and have been mildly active on the F1 subreddit. Naturally, they're not commenting on rumours and the like, but hopefully it means other teams follow suit.

I miss the old blue/green Sauber.

• Like 3

Rio isn't returning this year, which makes me wonder just who the hell Manor are gonna throw in the car at this rate. I can't remember which GP2 drivers have any money behind then, bar Sirotkin, and he'd be a mad man to give up on GP2 considering Gasly's gone and Giovonazzi is likely out too.

• Admin

The Monaco Grand Prix will be broadcast live on terrestrial television in Britain for the first time since 2012, with Channel 4 showing the race in 2017.

The race has been exclusively shown live on Sky Sports since 2013, after the BBC elected not to have it part of its package of events when it began sharing coverage. Channel 4 also did not show it last year.

However, with Channel 4 and Sky announcing on Thursday how their live races will be divided in 2017, Monaco will no longer be an exclusive live event for Sky.

The other changes from last year are that the Singapore and the United States Grand Prix will be broadcast live on Channel 4, while it has dropped live coverage from Spain, Hungary, Italy and Mexico.

Channel 4's first live race will be the Bahrain Grand Prix on April 16, with Sky showing the season opening Australian and Chinese Grands Prix live.

Sky's coverage this year will be shown in Ultra HD for the first time.

Channel 4 will show delayed highlights of the 10 races it is not broadcasting live.

2017 UK F1 TV SCHEDULE

26 March Australia - Sky only
9 April China - Sky only
16 April Bahrain - Sky + Channel 4
30 April Russia - Sky + Channel 4
14 May Spain - Sky only
28 May Monaco - Sky + Channel 4
11 June Canada - Sky only
25 June Azerbaijan - Sky + Channel 4
9 July Austria - Sky only
16 July Great Britain - Sky + Channel 4
30 July Hungary - Sky only