Formula One 2017

Lineker

Manor is pretty much dead as a dodo. Reports coming out that the staff is being told to start finding new work, and that's pretty much all the writing on the wall you need.

And whilst I don't want to see struggling poor useless teams on the grid, the departure of Manor as the final 2010 newcomer is a shame for the sport. Three teams got lured into the sport at the prospect of having some sort of financial oversight and tighter budgets, and it never happened, and they never really got a chance to step out of the depths of the grid because they were doomed from the start.

Manor has been edging by for the past three years, and in a way it's an affront to the sport because if you don't have enough money to set up a multi-year outfit, then what are you even doing in the sport. But I feel FOM/F1 are also to blame, with the financial structure being there to inherently screw over young and weak teams. Ferrari gets 300 million before they've even put a car on the grid, and a team like Manor was lucky to get around 80M for finishing 10th in the WCC. Anyone above that got squat.

It's time for a financial restructuring of the prize money, and fully remove all forms of 'long term' financials that the older teams like Ferrari, McLaren, and Red Bull get for showing up and being consistently successfull. Because if those three get it for their 'veterancy', then why does Sauber always get dicked in the a despite being the fourth oldest team on the grid.

Any team that makes it 2-3 years into the sport should get an even figure every year, then you can look about adding prize money on top of that to build a natural discrepancy between the best and the worst.

Either way, Manor itself being gone won't be a real loss for the sport. But ultimately it means less drivers get a chance to perform at the highest level. With the super license alterations, the lower teams are now perfect to seperate the good from the bad with bags of money being less of a deciding factor. And whilst I don't want to see 30 cars line up, I would love to see a day where we get the maximum possible again (24 cars, 12 teams)

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

And he's off to Williams.

The immediate announcement he's going to Williams almost feels like this has been part of the Bottas to Mercedes deal, as it has taken quite a while to be made official despite it being all but certain for the past three weeks.

I'm really torn on whether or not I'm glad Felipe is back. I really like him, but his retirement was so perfect and it's obvious they don't really want him this time either but have to because their main sponsor is an alcohol company.

• Like 1

• Admin

A street in Jules Bianchi's home city of Nice will be renamed in honour of the late Formula 1 driver.

Bianchi, who was born in Nice in 1989 and died in 2015 from injuries sustained in the '14 Japanese Grand Prix, will have the 'rue du Sapin' renamed after him.

The French Riviera city chose to pay tribute to the driver - who took part in 34 grands prix with Marussia - in the Saint-Isidore neighbourhood, close to the stadium of its football club.

A ceremony will take place on January 23, at the corner of current 'rue du Sapin' and 'avenue Pierre de Coubertin'.

French team Tech 1 Racing announced on Tuesday that it would support the Jules Bianchi Society by displaying its logos on the four cars it will enter in the Formula Renault Eurocup this year.

Bianchi was a title contender with the team in the 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 season, on his way to Formula 1.

• Like 2

If it's a dark sheen tinged with orange then I'm all for it, but an overall orange livery would just seem off to me.

Rebranding a bit now they're settling with Honda and Ron Dennis is gone is cool though. Between this and the line-up I might just be throwing my support behind them for the first time since the DC/Kimi days.

• Like 1

I am all for an orange coloured McLaren, I feel it fits the brand more and it'll be much more striking than the uuuuuuugly livery they've had the past two seasons. And I also don't want to see any team drive around with silver, other than the Silver Arrows.

So colour me intrigued (pun intended), can't wait for McLaren to start fresh...

Another rumour still going around is a potential Manor takeover, as the team seemingly has until Friday to pay off their debts and find new financers.

Bernie Ecclestone is reportedly gone

Auto Motor und Sport that new F1 chairman Chase Carey has taken over his former responsibilities. 

Ecclestone told Auto Motor und Sport, as translated by Google: 

I was deposed today. Just go away. This is official. I do not run the company anymore. My position has been taken over by Chase Carey.