Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

Benji

Genius. That is what the hell that is. Fucking. Genius.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robsturgh said:

Yeaaaahhh after MGS 5's story, I'm gonna really dial down my excitement for Kojima's ability to construct a good compelling narrative.

That I wouldn't begrudge him on too heavily for the circumstances, especially with the recent information that came out through Jeff Keighley in a Glixel interview.

"It was such a difficult time because [Kojima] was going through a lot last year," Keighley says in the interview. "The fact that he finished that game under those circumstances is just amazing. He was locked in a separate room on a different floor than his development team for the final six months of development. He couldn't even talk to them - he had to talk through someone else. That's how that game was finished."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robsturgh said:

Yeaaaahhh after MGS 5's story, I'm gonna really dial down my excitement for Kojima's ability to construct a good compelling narrative.

You do realize that Konami basically hamstrung him during development, right? That's why the story with Liquid just ends with him stealing the Sehal.

• Like 1

What's nonsense about it? I pretty much have a good idea about the plot of the game already just from that trailer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDK said:

I cant tell if that is sarcasm or not

I'm chillingly sincere.

From our first shot we can tell almost right away that this is a city under siege, as apparent from the battle damage and the fighter planes flying overhead. The man in the suit has a badge pin shaped like the continental US, hinting that he's a government official of the sort. His body language also suggests that he's not used to being in combat situations, thus he likely has never been a soldier.

The bizarre tendrils trailing the fighters directly overhead, as well as the fleshy masses coming out of the top and side of the armored vehicle, tell us that this seige force is not entirely human. What they are is unclear, but the mostly humanoid footsoldiers and the radio chatter hint that this lifeform has the ability to assimilate humanity at some level.

The baby in a containment capsule carried by the guy I'm going to call Senator Penn Gillette would need to be in such a capsule for a reason. Senator Gillette is not wearing a gasmask, hinting that the air is safe to breathe. This, and the fact that the baby appears to be underdeveloped, suggests that this capsule is in fact an artificial womb of some kind. The writing on it is in English, and therefore we can deduce that whoever made such a device is human.

It's unclear what the pooling sludge is, but it's probably irrelevant. The baby doll glowing as it flows under the sewer duct indicates that there's some kind of surveillance device within it. Not too much of a stretch, as dolls having secret cameras inside is a thing done today to monitor nannies etc.

And then stepping out of the sewers is an infantry unit, who block off the entranceway and monitor all sides. They are all connected to their leader by cables, which dissapate along with their commander's helmet when he disposes of it. Corporal David Bowie, possibly a lifeform, can likely create such equipment at will to blend in, and the cables perhaps allow him to share consciousness with his footsoldiers so that he can see what they see.

The last thing we see is the monitor doll hitting Corporal Bowie's foot, and then he smiles. Note that the doll is no longer glowing. He may also possess some level of technopathy, allowing him to see what the cameras see, and therefore he knows that Senator Gillette has the child.

Given the obvious importance of the child, we can then infer that the child has some kind of key to defeating the lifeforms. Perhaps the child has something in his DNA that can resist them. Or, given Kojima's penchant for future tech, the child may in fact have crucial data in it's bloodstream and was being used as a kind of dystopian external hard drive. The seiged city is a headquarters of a resistance force, and Senator Gillette is taking the child to them.

TL;DR, probably body horror alien invaders with the baby being your typical key humanity's salvation.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MDK said:

TL;DR, Hideo Kojima ate too much cheese before bedtime and just wrote a stream of consciousnesses game

And yet, still more coherent than MGS2

• Like 1