January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

stokeriño

In case you're thinking this is early, Lineker started last year's thread on December 8th. So there. :shifty:

Chelsea have accepted a stunning £60million bid to take midfielder Oscar to China in January from the club’s former manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Wouldn't mind if this were true.

TBH our biggest risk at the moment is a lack of depth at wing-back. If Alonso or Moses are out, our only real options are Azpi on the left or Ivanovic on the right, neither of whom are really suited to it (and taking Azpi out of the central three would cause its own problems too). But then, I have no idea who'd be a decent target what with not many clubs even playing wing-backs these days. Hell, I thought Alonso was a nonsense waste of money and look what's happened...

• Admin

The Genk defensive midfielder Wilfred Ndidi will join Leicester City after the 19-year-old completed a medical with the Premier League champions.

Ndidi is set to sign for Claudio Ranieri’s team for around £15m when the transfer window reopens next month, subject to being granted a work permit.

The Nigeria international has agreed a five-year contract and has been earmarked as a long-term replacement for N’Golo Kanté, who Leicester sold to Chelsea in the summer.

Ndidi moved to Genk from Nathaniel Boys of Lagos after impressing during a trial and made his debut in January 2015 as a centre-half. He can also play at right-back and has been capped twice by Nigeria.

He will join his international team‑mate Ahmed Musa at Leicester and both will be available during the Africa Cup of Nations in January because Nigeria failed to qualify.

I'll be happy if we make the loan of Pontus Jansson (who, fyi, is magic and wears a magic hat. And if you throw a brick at him, he'll head the fucker back) and to a lesser extent Hernandez and if we're being optimistic Bartley too. A new contract for Charlie Taylor and signing Jordan Rhodes would be the icing on the cake. I'd like a less error prone keeper than Green too but i don't see that happening.

I think we need to buy a forward. With Ings injured, Mane going to the AFCON and Sturridge picking up little injuries we need an option for the team or the bench. 

I expect Ojo to be brought into the first team when he's fully fit but options for the bench are limited atm. When your bench against West Ham consists of a keeper, two centre backs, a fullback and three kids it's less than ideal.  

14 minutes ago, Troy Santa said:

New CAM, new CB please. Barkley is too inconsistent and much as it pains me to say it, Jags is past it and Funes Mori is going to break someone's legs one day.

As I'm understandably yet to be convinced by Valencia I also think a new striker to support Lukaku is needed, especially if Koeman continues to flip-flop on whether or not he rates Deulofeu. I still believe not signing another defender, goalie and forward in the summer will ultimately be seen as a big reason why we end the season 8-12th rather than higher.

Just now, Adam said:

As I'm understandably yet to be convinced by Valencia I also think a new striker to support Lukaku is needed, especially if Koeman continues to flip-flop on whether or not he rates Deulofeu. I still believe not signing another defender, goalie and forward in the summer will ultimately be seen as a big reason why we end the season 8-12th rather than higher.

Valencia seems to work best in a partnership so I'm not sure he'll ever work out as a lone striker, so yeah, striker as well.

• Like 1

?? good one 

Nah but seriously, he shouts loud, and puts himself about a bit, but he's a total liability. His awareness is poor, so he's all too often two yards behind the defensive line, and also it means he'll quite often drift and get in Chester/Baker/Gollini's way. And he was at fault for Norwich's goal last night (along with Gabby). Gave his man far too much space by not closing him down.

It's a shame because when we signed him, we legitimately thought we had a solid leader. But having watched most of our games last season and this season, I honestly can't say he's any better than Lescott, and I really fucking hate that guy.