January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

stokeriño

A centreback from Liga NOS? That'll be the 'He looks like a world beater playing for Benfica/Sporting/Porto where he has to make one tackle per season and is then absolutely shit in a league that requires actual defending', also known as the Mangala Principle.

• Like 1

Just now, Gazz said:

A centreback from Liga NOS? That'll be the 'He looks like a world beater playing for Benfica/Sporting/Porto where he has to make one tackle per season and is then absolutely shit in a league that requires actual defending', also known as the Mangala Principle.

I think the biggest thing with this is the price. It's not a 10m punt on a young defender, but a record fee paid for a defender (for United) and he'd need to make a big impression over a period of time to even consider the fee "worth it".

2 hours ago, Lineklaus said:

Burnley have resigned Joey Barton.

resigned
rɪˈzʌɪnd/
adjective
adjective: resigned; adjective: re-signed
  1. having accepted something unpleasant that one cannot do anything about.
    "my response is a resigned shrug of the shoulders"

It fits!

1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

*shrug* or United.

I only mentioned Chelsea because you thought you'd spaff your 60m from Oscar on a forward or attacking midfielder instead of a defender :P 

Oh yeah, using the Oscar money to boost our usual "let's spend £30m on an AMR of dubious suitability in January" fund to a "let's spend £75m(?) on an AMR of dubious suitability in January" fund would totally be a Chelsea move.

I only mentioned United because they like to do random expensive shit in an effort to look busy too. :shifty: 

Newcastle have signed Juanito, a 17 year old Spanish kid from Huelva.

C0MZ-EYWgAAmqze.jpg

I'm more interested in his 'Newcastle smells of football' scarf though. o_O

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nerf said:

The rags reckon Liverpool want AFCON-bound Wilfried Zaha to cover AFCON-bound Sadio Mane's absence. Alright then lads.

Also people saying we'll go back in for him. Surely, he'd cost a shit load as they turned down 20 mil in the summer and he's now doing better than he was last year. Other than Chelsea, I wonder if anyone will actually end up spending out of the 'bigger' clubs. I totally assume Swansea will do business. 

33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Also people saying we'll go back in for him. Surely, he'd cost a shit load as they turned down 20 mil in the summer and he's now doing better than he was last year. Other than Chelsea, I wonder if anyone will actually end up spending out of the 'bigger' clubs. I totally assume Swansea will do business. 

United might start tossing panic cash around, I imagine Liverpool will sign a winger (though we've been linked to the likes of Brandt and Pulisic rather than a big name). I dunno, there are a few clubs in positions they weren't prepared for, for better or worse, and the English answer to that is transfers, so.