Do you listen to Christmas music?

MalaCloudy Black

"Whatever the department store plays while I'm in there" or "while I'm at work because I have to" don't count.

Do you listen to Christmas music? Does / did your family at Christmas time? I was just thinking about this because I've heard from more people than I thought that their parents would play Christmas music all December long, or start putting on the Christmas albums right after Thanksgiving, and it got me wondering if my family's an anomaly. We've never really made a big deal out of Christmas time. Christmas, sure, when we were kids it was a big deal (when isn't it a big deal to a kid?), but for as long as I can remember we've never been the type to go all-out: lots of decorations, lights, Christmas music, all that stuff. 

Personally, the closest I get to listening to anything resembling Christmas music of my own volition is "Fairytale of New York" a few times every December. I'm sure there's good Christmas music or whatever, but other than Fairytale, I just don't seek it out because it's not really a genre (sub-genre?) of music that I care about. 

Yeah Sirius does a pretty good blend of Christmas stations, one with more modern pop songs (70s-present) and one with the classics (40s-60s). Most of the Christmas songs I really like are of the older variety, and have been covered and adapted by modern artists with varying successes. I don't tend to listen to Christmas music on my own, but this time of year if someone's in the car with me it definitely comes on. As we get closer to December 25th I'll listen to a lot more. A lot of Christmas music is inoffensive, fun stuff. And that's perfect for this time of the year.

My all-time favorite Christmas song is "Linus and Lucy" and it counts because everyone associates it with Christmas.

I don't tend to, no, but then christmas songs are unavoidable through December really. I get quite sick of some of them (Mariah Carey, please someone delete that song from the earth) but a few are good. Fairytale of New York is the pinnacle for me, and I don't tend to mind if I hear any Buble renditions.

What I really don't like is people accepting non-christmas themed songs as "christmas songs" and playing them all through December. The other day my girlfriend's mum was playing the uber-depressing Gary Jules cover of Mad World by Tears for Fears and I just hate hearing that, because despite it coming out at christmas it really doesn't strike me as a festive tune. Also, Don't You Want Me by the Human League. I get that it was christmas #1 in 1980whatever but it isn't a christmas song! And I like the Human League ordinarily as well.

Mad World and Don't You Want Me are played as Christmas songs? Never heard that before. That's strange.

Also...