RIP George Michael

Monkey D. Lars

WTF 53? George, you will be missed you mad bastard.

He had some great songs as well as during his Wham days. Fucking hell. 

8 minutes ago, Freelance Hobo said:

Let's Go Outside's music video is one of the greatest acts of self-deprecation ever.

And a great song

• Like 1

Last Christmas is a sad enough song on its own, but for him to die on Christmas Day adds a whole new level to it.

He was such a great talent and it's a shame that the news coverage of him over the last few years have mainly been about his struggles than his music, but his legacy will always be for the unforgettable songs he created. RIP.

Oh, and of course, fuck 2016.

:( 2016 claims another one, on Christmas no less. Does this year have no remorse? What's the count up to now? 108 for each year the Cubs didn't win the World Series?

2017 doesn't look too promising with Trump taking office, but its going to be hard for any year to top 2016 as the absolute worst. FFS.

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

2016 is just the '80s having its brutal, ugly revenge.

It's like some sort of horror movie, where people are like "gee whiz, I wish the 80s would come back!" and then when the 80s does come back, it's just to take everything you've ever even remotely liked or cared about. Jesus.

• Like 1

inb4 'This was his last christmas' and 'He sure gave his heart this christmas' jokes...

But yeah, just when you think 2016 has thrown its last curveball, it throws its biggest one yet. GM had his demons for sure, but 53 is way too young to pass away for anyone, doesn't matter what he did or didn't do.

Christ, It's insane how calloused I have become since the first of this year. Between Rickman, Frey, Bowie, Parfitt, Mo White, G. Martin, Cruyff, Mahoney, Chyna, Prince, Muhammad Ali, Howe, Kimbo, Yelchin, Kenny Baker, Mr. Fuji, Gene Wilder, Pete Burns, Cohen, Castro, John Glenn, Alan Thicke, Craig Sager, and now George Michael this season has just absolutely destroyed me emotionally. Just too many recognisable (and young) names that have died this year, it's insane.

It's probably only going to get worse.

The 60's and 70's saw a massive explosion in the number of people considered 'famous', those people are all now reaching their 60's and 70's. Christ, imagine what it's going to be like in 2066 given that in the present day, you can get world famous by having a nice arse on Instagram.

• Like 3

I think part of it is also the lifestyle they all had in the late 70's and into the 80's is catching up with all them. The amount of blow they all consumed is probably comparable to Mt. Everest.

Prince and George Michael in the same year? The only thing that would've been worse is if they had the trifecta and Michael Jackson held off for a few more years.

Edited by Henderson

4 minutes ago, Henderson said:

I think part of it is also the lifestyle they all had in the late 70's and into the 80's is catching up with all them. The amount of blow they all consumed is probably comparable to Mt. Everest.

Prince and George Michael in the same year? The only thing that would've been worse is if they had the trifecta and Michael Jackson held off for a few more years.

Yet the fucking Stones are all still kicking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Yet the fucking Stones are all still kicking.

There's always the exception. How many years was Scott Hall somehow still being alive brought up every single time a wrestler died? Not so much now that he's turned himself around but for years it be like "he died and yet Scott Hall is still alive?" 

While, mostly, never too much to my taste, he was an amazing performer and could write one hell of a pop song. 

Aside from that, he was absurdly, insanely generous. He played benefit and charity gigs for unions, for the miners, and for NHS nurses after his mother died. There are stories of him giving tens of thousands to people he overheard in restaurants complaining about being in debt. And this from Richard Osman is just extraordinary;

• Like 5

I just did the maths and worked out that someone Wikipedia-worthy whose name I recognise has died every 9.9 days on average. This has also brought to my attention several deaths this year which fell under the radar for me; Merle Haggard, Phyllis Schlafly, Alexis Arquette, and Janet Reno.

Will report back with a 2015 comparison later.

• Like 1

I would've guessed more than roughly 37 famous people, I've seen year-end lists with at least twice that amount recently. Not all of them were people I recognized at first, and those lists didn't include some people I would've (i.e. no wrestling-related deaths like Chyna and Balls Mahoney), but still 37 just seems low to me, which just shows how bad this year has been when 37 famous people dying seems low. :(