EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016:

You voted, I tallied, and now we get the show on the road. You've seen a bunch of the shows that didn't make it (BUT THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON MOUNTAIN MONSTERS) so let's see some of the ones that did! The cutoff this year was 22 points and three ballots, a barrier occupied by a rookie show and one back from last year...

lE25K1e.png

49 (tie). Vice Principals (22 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

HEYGp44.jpg

49 (tie). Ash vs. Evil Dead (22 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #34)

YXMis6p.png

47 (tie). Please Like Me (23 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

fAeqVuC.png

Spoiler

640.jpg

47 (tie). Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (23 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

p8kfRnZ.png

46. NCIS New Orleans (24 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: You need to pull the bunny out of a hat. You can't just walk in with a bunny!

• Like 2

You know a tie doesn't eliminate a place all together?  There would still be a #50 if two shows were tied for #49 :shifty:

Ash vs. Evil Dead is great, had a great season again this year and I'm looking forward to next Halloween now. Vice Principals is aight, I can't remember if it was something I voted for or not, but it was a pretty off-kilter season that got better towards the end. Walton Goggins is absolutely what makes that show.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fhqwhjosh said:

I have seen none of those, but I hear routinely great things about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I think you'd really like it.

On to another tie-dominated group which features one of the more amusing ties in Favorite Show history (admittedly that's probably not the highest bar).

Syd0wbf.png

43 (tie). American Horror Story (24 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

FPYW0BL.png

43 (tie). Designated Survivor (24 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

olkQaUA.png

43 (tie). Survivor (24 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

bDwBSvB.png

42. Bull (25 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

XlKq8o0.png

41. Narcos (25 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #27)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: Goodbye, White Guy #3. Love the man-bun. You started the trend.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Ash vs. Evil Dead is great, had a great season again this year and I'm looking forward to next Halloween now. Vice Principals is aight, I can't remember if it was something I voted for or not, but it was a pretty off-kilter season that got better towards the end. Walton Goggins is absolutely what makes that show.

I really enjoyed it from start-to-finish. I was always quite confident I'd like it as I'm a fan of David McBride, but it exceeded all my expectations because Goggins is absolutely incredible and his chemistry with McBride is totally on-point. 

It's usually in the 30's that there's some massive tie that means I do a 4 show/6 show split for updates, it seems like. KEEPIN' THE TREND ALIVE.

GBUbwiF.png

40. Insecure (27 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

6a9mxFA.png

39. Broad City (27 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #43)

9chGf8H.png

38. Shameless (29 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

3grxgoz.png

37. South Park (29 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #26)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: Was he... waiting for an entrance line?

I still haven't watched Insecure (though I hear it's really good, I'll need to pick it up sometime), Broad City is the jam, I watched two seasons of Shameless and got hopelessly behind and now it's too late to catch up on all 200 seasons, and South Park is whatever. 

I watched the first episode of Insecure and was like "this is pretty solid and I'm gonna be too busy watching ten other shows to watch it" and that was indeed the case :(

• Like 1

I didn't quite finish it in time otherwise it'd have made my list, I've got one episode to go and it's really, really good. I was reading a really interesting article about the way negative aspects that have changed from the web series (about how her love interests are now super handsome and everyone dresses and looks fashionable so often), but there's still plenty of really great stuff in there -- I haven't found like I needed or wanted to binge it, it just strikes a nice balance of comedy, drama and relatable observations. 

First two seasons of Broad City are great, too. 

and now the six-show portion of that split, and the threshhold for the "two people really loved it" push.

ngGGSQS.png

35 (tie). Taskmaster (30 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

kEGSekI.png

35 (tie). Transparent (30 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

l0NLw3l.png

33 (tie). The Goldbergs (30 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

3HC065S.png

33 (tie). Lucifer (30 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

mKD6qys.png

32. Vikings (32 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

kbNKaNo.png

31. Arrow (32 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: #14)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: One hundred dead employees, one dead Rob Thomas. I mean, this just looks bad. Do you think Twitter is gonna be kind?

Insecure and Broad City is amazing, criminal that it's so low. Shameless is actually a lot better the second half of this past season than it has been in like two or three, it didn't feel like a complete rehash of all the same plots ever since the Emmy Rossum-directed episode, which was fucking fantastic.

The Goldbergs might be the best sitcom on TV right now, it's the easiest easy TV to just jump in and watch.

I can't believe iZombie is so low, this season was the best thing on TV! 

Vikings is fantastic, and should definitely be higher - the second half of season 4 is really good stuff. 

3 hours ago, Benkid Cratchit said:

Insecure and Broad City is amazing, criminal that it's so low. Shameless is actually a lot better the second half of this past season than it has been in like two or three, it didn't feel like a complete rehash of all the same plots ever since the Emmy Rossum-directed episode, which was fucking fantastic.

The Goldbergs might be the best sitcom on TV right now, it's the easiest easy TV to just jump in and watch.

I can't believe iZombie is so low, this season was the best thing on TV! 

It's Always Sunny is the best sitcom. And no no, the best thing is Mountain Monsters Benkid. 

Beware, only watch this show drunk and with friends. 

dammit Benkid, you made me write up a long comment and then realize that wait, no, you were inferring correctly from the Next Time quote :P

only thing I'll say from this past group is that dropping by a lot but not going off the list entirely is a pretty fair assessment of Arrow's arc this year. If not for the first half of season five I'd have said it had no business in the top 50 at all, but that first half has been pretty damn good. Anyway!

mzrtLtJ.png

30. The Night Of (33 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

LJ0QSiE.png

29. iZombie (34 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #30)

KGpzyVD.png

28. Legends of Tomorrow (34 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

kulDxQX.png

27. Gotham (36 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

kaTiQOC.png

26. RuPaul's Drag Race (38 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: Well, I started as a part-time sales associate, then they promoted me to assistant manager. Now, I'm on pace to be full manager. That almost makes up for them killing my mom!

• Like 2

Drag Race is good and the rest (including the last batch) I haven't really seen. I've heard iZombie and Vikings are good, but I've got so much shit on my plate re: TV that I can't watch it all. 

Also, holy shit, you know what i forgot to vote for and am now ashamed about? Total Bellas and or Divas. I only had 13 on my list but I could have easily got to 15 with the inclusion of Bellas/Divas. 

• Like 1

iZombie is a show I feel like I should really like but I can't get past those first few episodes. Problem is that someone compared it to Buffy before I watched it, and in my mind I'm comparing it to that from when Buffy caught its stride, and not that good but somewhat awkward first season Buffy had.