EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: The Results

GoGo Yubari

I forgot to record the premiere, then I forgot to record the second episode, and eventually it was like "hey it's season finale time!" and I still hadn't seen it. Hopefully there will be a lull in TV shows and shit this month/next month and I can speed through it.

(Confession: I'm also the person who just started Stranger Things, like, Sunday night.)

Oh man, Atlanta was so great. Like, if that's the quality of the first season, I have so much faith they'll go onto do much more. There just felt like there was something so fresh in it, it felt both down-to-Earth and appropriately surreal at the same time, it just seemed to grow and grow on me until I was getting so much out of every moment.

The rest of that batch is shows I've either not got round to, (OITB) given up on (Walking Dead) or just outright, no excuse, haven't continued (Veep - which is probably more to do with an accessibility thing, as I've tried pretty hard not to illegally download anymore). I would like to do Agents at some point, especially as everyone says it gets real good, but it's just finding the time to bump that before newer shows which I just wanna see a bit more. I feel like I'd prioritise Daredevil before it - but the 2nd season hasn't really attracted me yet and Luke Cage ended up a disappointment. 

Kyle Machlachlan's guest starring role in Agents of SHIELD really makes the show for me.  I'm currently going through the MCU in order because I have a lot of time on my hands and never got around to the Netflix Marvel shows, and I'm surprised by how much I got into AoS.

It's honestly a better show than it gets a rep for being, though I think it rarely hits the heights of the Netflix shows. It also avoids some of the perilously awful lows, though. Just a solid, consistent TV show.

Atlanta is great. I'd go with the Juneteenth episode as the best one, myself, but there's a lot to choose from.

OITNB really, really, really rebounded from a pretty bad down season with season 4, in part because Piper was fucking awful in 3 and they basically rectify that in 4. And that ending, fuck.

Veep, best pure comedy on TV. Though watching it next season is gonna be reaaaaaaaal fucking weird.

next update sometime later, because I've been at work all day and then I'm gonna get some sleep and then work at my other job all night.

• Like 1

Agents of SHIELD is brilliant. It's one of those shows that is almost always solid, but when it misses I feel that it really misses, and when it hits, bam, it hits you right in the nuts. I think if it was released as one complete season instead of episode by episode, it'd be a lot more lauded, as it definitely gives some pretty amazing cliffhangers. 

Was totally sold on Veep, watched all 5 seasons in like a week, just absolutely amazing all around, so damn funny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

Is this the first time TWD has dropped out of the top 10?

It says it was #16 last year, so probably not :P

whoops that took even longer than I expected. Sorry, guys! Sleep deprivation like whoa.

bD7yuo1.png

10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (95 points, appeared on eleven ballots) (Last Year: #10)

0xdTv4U.png

9. BoJack Horseman (99 points, appeared on eight ballots) (Last Year: #11)

4V8QmJ9.png

8. The Flash (102 points, appeared on ten ballots) (Last Year: #2)

D76H210.png

7. Better Call Saul (105 points, appeared on eleven ballots) (Last Year: #6)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: What the hell? What type of Jean-Paul Gautier shit is this, what are you, a pimp Stormtrooper?

NINE-NINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BCS and B99 are both superb shows. I still haven't watched BoJack Horseman, or The Flash. Maybe one day. I remember people being pretty thoroughly unimpressed by BoJack's first season, so I kind of dismissed it outright after that, but it seems like it got a lot better. 

The Flash.. one day, maybe.

If you didn't like BoJack's first season, you probably won't like the second to be honest. I tend to think it's usually a show where people who like it absolutely love it.

Having said that, BoJack was robbed, and if I can quote Benjamin Franklin for a moment - "You have reached the end of your free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"

8 hours ago, Benji said:

If you didn't like BoJack's first season, you probably won't like the second to be honest. I tend to think it's usually a show where people who like it absolutely love it.

Having said that, BoJack was robbed, and if I can quote Benjamin Franklin for a moment - "You have reached the end of your free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"

I never watched it, I was just going off of what people were saying during season 1. I seem to remember that there were a few people here whose opinions I generally agree with who didn't like season 1, but since then it's been pretty acclaimed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Parks & Rec situation, where the first season isn't as good as the others.

I actually finished season 1 of BoJack earlier this week. In my opinion it starts taking shape around 7 episodes in, whenever the Herb Kazzaz episode is. It's not a show I'm obsessed with, but that's partially because of my weird inability to binge Netflix shows. But the fact that I was in Norway for two weeks and spent a lot of that time in an apartment where the only streaming services that weren't region-locked were Netflix and the WWE Network meant that I was able to get over that hump a little bit. It's definitely a good show and I'm looking forward to moving forward with season two later this year.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine hit a weird place for me in season three where I decided I liked it and also didn't need to watch it anymore? Like, I more or less felt like I'd seen what the show had to offer and now I basically watch an episode on Hulu if I just need something to fill a lunchbreak. It's really good but just not something I'm invested in.

The Flash has been good but not great. Lot of creative missteps, though also some really great stuff like the Earth-2 episode. They set up the back half of season 3 well, though.

Better Call Saul is my favorite ongoing show on TV. Love what they're doing to expand and deepen the world of that show and the way they're naturally integrating Breaking Bad characters without it feeling too excessive.

• Like 1

Degrassi: Next Class season 3 came out today and made me realize "shit, you guys, I forgot to put Next Class season 2 on my list". Not that it would have made anything other than honorable mention, buuuuuuuuuuut...