EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016: The Results

GoGo Yubari

The theme of this penultimate update is "pictures of antagonists standing around." Lady and gentlemen, let's get the most rookie-dominated top 6 underway.

dxvKtn9.png

6. American Crime Story (114 points, appeared on twelve ballots) (Last Year: NR)

0o4a9oN.png

5. Luke Cage (153 points, appeared on eighteen ballots) (Last Year: NR)

doPwhIf.png

4. Westworld (156 points, appeared on sixteen ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2016:

• Like 2

All shows I watched, all shows I immensely enjoyed. Luke Cage may have had its flaws - a lot of Marvel Netflix series do, usually about midway / near the end of the season - but I still loved the hell out of it. Shades 4ever.

UP NEXT: I actually just finished Stranger Things a few nights ago and am so glad I did. I watched 2 episodes at a friend's house and then was like "shit, gotta binge this naow". And so I did. And I wasn't disappointed. It was so fucking good.

• Like 2

Maaaaaan, Westworld probably should have been number one. Helluva debut placement though.

LUKE. That shit was exactly what 2016 called for. So many iconic moments and some phenomenal performances.

I didn't see American Crime Story.

Knowing what the next three are, one very much belongs in the top three and the other two are probably too high. All Top 10 material though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fhqwhjosh said:

Maaaaaan, Westworld probably should have been number one.

Analysis. What prompted this response?

• Like 2

Depending on how close number 4 and number 3 are in points, Westworld would probably be higher if I had watched it last year, instead of this year. Would probably have been in my Top 3, at least.

What's left? Stranger Things, Game of Thrones and something else, is it?

Yep, was well impressed with Westworld - absorbed by the lavish world, fantastic actors and great story hooks. Not a perfect season of television by any stretch, but it certainly exceeded my expectations and has me wanting more. 

I found Luke Cage incredibly flawed - I was so behind the first five or six episodes, but it slowly went downhill until the point where it just got bad. There was enough there that'd just about get me back for a second season, but it really lost momentum and got caught up in some bad plotting and character development. Loved the setting, the music and the feel of the show - just not what it eventually ended up being. 

• Like 1

I think I'd happily take the kind of bad that Luke Cage became than the type of bad that another Netflix show veered into, but that's me. Not that I'm naming names! Unrelated note, let's finish this sucker up.

1w96oSf.png

3. Daredevil (162 points, appeared on eighteen ballots) (Last Year: #1)

OOasnYC.png

2. Game of Thrones (175 points, appeared on thirteen ballots) (Last Year: #5)

vzwnjjS.png

1. Stranger Things (202 points, appeared on eighteen ballots) (Last Year: NR)

And that's the list! Probably the closest one in a long time, it really did come down to the last few ballots to determine a winner (probably the most "wait, whoa" phase of tallying was early, when the frontrunners were OITNB and American Crime Story). Thanks so much to everyone who voted and I'll see you next year! uh. Later this year. I won't drag it out as much next time.

(i hope)

Next time, on EWB's Favorite TV Show of 2017:

• Like 7

I loved season 1 of Daredevil, but I hated the second half of Daredevil season 2. I can't get that image of a 20 ninjas running on the rooftops of New York chasing after Daredevil out of my head, with the stupidest fight scene following that.

Game of Thrones this year was pretty great, I think there was just so much else I loved on TV more. 

Didn't even get a chance to watch Stranger Things, I should probably start that after I finish Westworld.

Yeah, Daredevil made my list because it was overall a good show, but Season 2 was definitely the weakest season of a Marvel Netflix series so far. I'm curious to see how things go from Iron Fist through The Defenders, and even more curious about anything after that. Each show has has a spectacular first outing, but juggling all these characters and stories could get unwieldy.

I've tried to get into the second season of Daredevil, and while it's a fine show, I just don't have the enthusiasm to watch it. I thought the first season was good enough, and that they did a stellar job with Kingpin, but they really didn't do enough with the ensemble and I just don't care enough about the characters they want me to. I think I'll get around to it eventually - I generally find the Marvel shows pretty watchable and I wanna be caught up for The Defenders - but I just need a real push to commit to it. 

Game of Thrones is probably the only TV show that I absolutely need to watch the day its aired - I love that feeling and I love the world they've created. This season might not have been the best of the lot, but there's so much there to enjoy. 

Stranger Things was good fun - it relied a little too heavily on its influences for me - but it became insanely watchable and there was bunch of great stuff in there. I obviously enjoyed that sense of cinematic nostalgia, especially the John Carpenter influence, but it'd be great to see it become more of its own thing in the second season. Also really it hope it resists the urge to let all the hype go to its head. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2