365 Movies in 365 Days - Electric Boogalou

Draevyn

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows - Honestly I didn't like the first one that much and didn't expect much out of the second one either. Sometimes you can't improve on awesomeness and you shouldn't try, which is what I thought the originals were (outside of Turtles in Time because seriously that can suck a dick). The best thing about this movie was Sheamus as Rocksteady. Also, despite the bubblegum jokes, Krang did not look like chewed up bubble gum which I was sad about. He was actually grossly weird looking.

• Like 1

Staying ahead for now before I start to have stupidly busy work weeks!

6) Kill Command

7) Monster Trucks

I can have whole days where I just feel like shoving on Sky Movies or putting on a series right through. Next real binge is likely to be with my friend who's talking about a complete watch through of the X Men series including both Wolverines...

Just thought I'd post a quick update of my progress, due to having worked quite a bit the last few days I feel fortunate that I am ahead of schedule.

1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

2. The Last Legion
3. Ready to Rumble
4. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

New Additions
5. Jack Reacher
6. USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage
7. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

I have several recent films on my to watch list but really fancy going back and watching some older films that I haven't watched before, most of which are listed among the IMDb top 250.

Edited by Deathlok190

5. The Accountant - Loved loved loved this movie. I mean it wasn't exactly reaching for new territory or anything but it was a lovely little action flick with a twist at the end that should have been completely obvious to me, and yet still made me go "well damn" at the end. I love Ben Affleck so he can really do no wrong in my eyes at the moment. Anna Kendrick was pretty cute in that nerdy sort of way as well.

So I'm 1 movie behind but I think I can probably catch up and maybe even go ahead on the weekend so I still figure I'm doing pretty well in the early going.

On 06/01/2017 at 06:05, GA! said:

I keep meaning to restart my Letterboxd account, so before I forget what I've seen so far...

1. Cape Fear (1991) - 2nd January

2. Akira (1988) - 3rd January

January 7th:

3. Stations of the Cross (2014) - @Jimmy check this out. It's the first film I can remember where a film has completely lost me 15 minutes in - to the point I almost switched it off - but won me over (and then some) once I got over the stylistic choice of film-making. I don't know how but Stations slowly grips you and suddenly you're hanging on every word.

4. Midnight Special (2016) - Meh, it was perfectly okay. I found the storytelling too evasive and cold for me to really care. Reminded me somewhat of Safety Not Guaranteed for some reason, which I also found quite evasive and cold.

• Like 1

001. Sleepless in Seattle (1993) 
002. Mr. Popper's Penguins (2011)
003. Blair Witch (2016)
004. Bastille Day (2016)
005. Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
006. Seeking Justice (2011)
007. Stolen (2012)
008. Inferno (2016)
009. Fire With Fire (2012)
010. Falling Leaves (1912)

First 10 down! 

6. The Magnificent Seven - This was the 2016 remake and to be honest, it's probably the best remake that I've ever actually seen. Everyone seemed to play their parts well and it had the right amount of action/comedy to keep it interesting. I made a comment to my girlfriend that it's almost like Vincent D'Onofrio got fat and then got awesome. I mean I've always enjoyed his work but it appears that Hollywood is taking him a bit more seriously than they were before. I was never a huge fan of western movies but when they're done well, they're definitely done well and this was one of those.

Spoiler

1.       January 1st, 2017 The Spectacular Now (2013) [REWATCH] *****

2.       January 2nd, 2017 Captain America: Civil War (2016) [REWATCH] *****

3.       January 3rd, 2017 – The Handmaiden (2016) ****1/2

4.       January 3rd, 2017 Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) ****1/2

5.       January 4th, 2017 – American Honey (2016) **1/2

6.       January 4th, 2017 – Nocturnal Animals (2016) ****

7.       January 7th, 2017 – The Accountant (2016) ***

8.       January 8th, 2017 – Sully (2016) **

9.       January 8th, 2017 – The Birth of a Nation (2016) **

10.   January 9th, 2017 – Captain Fantastic (2016) *****

Captain Fantastic easily slid in my top ten for 2016. The Birth of a Nation was really disappointing to me, it was just the most superficial bloodletting film, devoid of any sort of meaning to the gore and gross acts portrayed beyond very surface-like emotions. Add in the fact that it's fucking gross for the Nate Parker factor, and I don't really know why I watched it :( 

Alright, jumping in - first ten down. 

1. Cars (2006) *re-watch*

2. Sing Street (2016)

3. The Intervention (2016)

4. Edvard Munch (1974) 

5. Sing Street (2016) *re-watch*

6. Kiss Me, Stupid (1964)

7. Lost in La Mancha (2002)

8. Cars 2 (2011)

9. La La Land (2016)

10. Zoolander 2 (2016) 

Edvard Munch is the pick of the films far - an incredible three and a half hour film, originally transmitted as a miniseries, by Peter Watkins, who is in my opinion, one of the most underrated directors in history. The film is a biopic of Edvard Munch, who painted the famous The Scream painting, but it's fascinatingly told in Watkins' docudrama style, which weaves back and forth through his memory and moments in his life. It's a beautiful film and more evidence of Watkins' genius. 

I've covered La La Land in another thread - but yeah, it's real great - deserving of the hype. Kiss Me, Stupid is an incredibly dark comedy by Billy Wilder - typically of Wilder it's a great film, and once again, says so much about how prolific he was, that this wouldn't even crack his top 6-8 despite being really, really good. 

Cars 2 is absolute trash, no one was lying there. And fuck it, went in with super low expectations, and ended up thinking Zoolander 2 was a lot of fun and nowhere near as bad as anyone said it was. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Alright, jumping in - first ten down. 

1. Cars (2006) *re-watch*

2. Sing Street (2016)

3. The Intervention (2016)

4. Edvard Munch (1974) 

5. Sing Street (2016) *re-watch*

6. Kiss Me, Stupid (1964)

7. Lost in La Mancha (2002)

8. Cars 2 (2011)

9. La La Land (2016)

10. Zoolander 2 (2016) 

Edvard Munch is the pick of the films far - an incredible three and a half hour film, originally transmitted as a miniseries, by Peter Watkins, who is in my opinion, one of the most underrated directors in history. The film is a biopic of Edvard Munch, who painted the famous The Scream painting, but it's fascinatingly told in Watkins' docudrama style, which weaves back and forth through his memory and moments in his life. It's a beautiful film and more evidence of Watkins' genius. 

I've covered La La Land in another thread - but yeah, it's real great - deserving of the hype. Kiss Me, Stupid is an incredibly dark comedy by Billy Wilder - typically of Wilder it's a great film, and once again, says so much about how prolific he was, that this wouldn't even crack his top 6-8 despite being really, really good. 

Cars 2 is absolute trash, no one was lying there. And fuck it, went in with super low expectations, and ended up thinking Zoolander 2 was a lot of fun and nowhere near as bad as anyone said it was. 

10 already Jimsy? You're on fire!

So just thought I'd post a quick update, glad to be ahead on this at the moment as I think if I dropped the ball and fell too far behind I'd probably give up.

1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

2. The Last Legion
3. Ready to Rumble
4. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
5. Jack Reacher
6. USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage
7. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

New Additions
8. Starship Troopers
9. Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
10. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
11. Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation
12. Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
13. Starship Troopers: Invasion
14. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Finally got around to watching Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, having watched Man of Steel about two months ago fully intending to watch the sequel a few days later, I have to say I can't stand either of the movies but will still hold out hope that the DCEU can improve.
Don't know why I have been on such a sci-fi fix lately but the evidence is here in Star Wars and Starship Troopers, I admit both series have some flaws however both have good movies that compensate for the bad. I am really glad I still own a video cassette player and the original trilogy of Star Wars in it's unedited form as some of the changes really didn't improve the movies.

7. Hell or High Water - As you can see, I'm about a week behind thanks to being sick so I've got to do something to get back in the groove for this thing. This was another one those movies that didn't really re-invent the wheel but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not been that big of a fan of Jeff Bridges but the rest of the acting was pretty good. The music was perfect for giving it that Outlaw feel throughout the scenes. 

001. Sleepless in Seattle (1993) 
002. Mr. Popper's Penguins (2011)
003. Blair Witch (2016)
004. Bastille Day (2016)
005. Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
006. Seeking Justice (2011)
007. Stolen (2012)
008. Inferno (2016)
009. Fire With Fire (2012)
010. Falling Leaves (1912)

011. RED (2010) (Rewatch)
012. Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)