Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Liam    4,552

https://www.goodreads.com/

Sign up to the Reading Challenge, set yourself a number of books to read, log it and done.

Since the last reading thread died a death, thought this might be a way to spark some discussion/talk about books.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/21706655-liam-byrne

Add me - I know Rich and Jimmy both have accounts on there also.

GhostMachine    887

I'm debating taking part, but most of the time I get books from the library (I rarely buy books these days), I end up having to renew before I finish.

Currently reading Fall of Night by Jonathan Mayberry. Its the sequel to Dead of Night, which I highly recommend. Then i have To Fetch A Thief by Spencer Quinn, the third book in the Chet and Bernie series.

• Like 1

stokeriño    9,031

I've made an account and just done 20 random ratings thus far... TBH the main thing I'll try and use this for will be to motivate me to read/finish ANY BOOK since I've been utterly terrible at it in recent months (despite being unable to go to the shopping centre without falling into Waterstones and emerging with books <_<). For that reason I'm not doing anything as ambitious as setting a 2017 reading target yet...! We shall see.

• Like 1

Liam    4,552

Skummy is also on this before I forget.

I do find it a good way to motivate me to read. Nice way to remind me what I've read during a year as well. 

hugobomb    1,042

I've taken this challenge as well, set myself a purely notional 75 books in 2017 target.

• Like 1

Apsham    8,806

My bookcase says I need to get around to this. Last year I didn't hit my goal at all, but it increased throughout the year and I'm going to set a goal of two books a month this time around.

• Like 1

Rich    14,937

I have joined da club.

I am setting a modest target of 18 books, but since I smashed out 5 in December alone I am hoping I can knock that out of the park

Apsham    8,806

The club has built in features to set monthly books or so - no real need to force people to read certain things, but we could have it as an option.

• Like 1

I Don't Mind    3,521
2 hours ago, hugobomb said:

I've taken this challenge as well, set myself a purely notional 75 books in 2017 target.

I also set a 75 book challenge, but I hardly ever pick up real books, so I'm aiming for 70 of those being graphic novels

• Like 1

stokeriño    9,031

You people with targets of 75 are mad. Surely one a week is ambitious enough? :shifty: 

• Like 1

Apsham    8,806

I'm going to try and do a longer form novel and a shorter one (something like Coraline, which I am currently reading beside Stardust) to make sure that I can hit my target so hopefully - all things in and done with, I'll go over 24.

hugobomb    1,042
2 hours ago, stokeriño said:

You people with targets of 75 are mad. Surely one a week is ambitious enough? :shifty: 

I work night shifts so I read to pass the time. Still not expecting to hit this target but want to get somewhat close 

GhostMachine    887

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/63362963-brian - I set an easy peasy 10 books. But as soon as I figure out how, I am going to change it.

(You don't want to know how many books Heidi can read in a year. Seriously. She's got at least 25 different book series that she reads!)

Liam    4,552

Yeah, the challenge allows you to change it.

I've put 75. My wife likes to be in bed early and sleeps earlier than I do, which means I have between 1 and 2 reading hours a day depending. A fairly average sized book takes around 4 hours to read, so the numbers add up quickly.

I usually throw in a couple of longer books as well. Did War and Peace two years ago, did Infinite Jest and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich last year. Reading The Stand alongside my other books as a longer selection. 

Vamp    205

I could do with something like this. I work in a library and last year some of us did one review of a book a month (always based around a different category) but I ended up burning out on reading after hosting a couple of author talks towards the end of the year and not giving myself enough prep time. Setting myself a number target for the whole year might work a lot better. 

=BK=    8,368

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/34958232-brian-kirkland

I've set my goal to 20. If I start to read as much as I used to it'll be no issue. I'm not counting comics either, only real books. And no re-reads. I'll load my Nook up later today.  I already know I'm going to read IT, The 5th Wave and Daniel Bryan's book.

EDIT:Ohhh, my favorite author has a new book out soon-ish.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31420736-bang

Also I think AJ Lee's book comes out in April. So that's a few picked out. 

Edit2:Oh and a little while back I was challenged to read Lolita. So that's another.

Edited by Kirkland

=BK=    8,368

And it's on. I've started reading Daniel Bryan's book.

Edited by Kirkland

=BK=    8,368

Man, I've compared books with a few of you guys and the only common book that comes up is World War Z. Granted I don't have every book I've ever read logged but the biggest pile of UFO,monster,WWII and dinosaur books ever doesn't look like it'd bring up any more. Maybe if I logged the first four Harry Potter books there'd be a couple more.

Skummy    31,451

I've gone for 50. I've done 75-100 in the past, but that's when I was working jobs that meant I had plenty of downtime and would read for most of the day at work, or when I was unemployed and would spend most of my days reading in coffee shops. Now I don't have nearly as much time to read, but tend to get an hour or so in the evening, and try and find a bit of time at the weekends. My target's definitely optimistic for this year, though, but I'll give it a go. 

Apsham    8,806

I can only really force myself to read when I'm in bed at night - sometimes last year I just wouldn't bother but I'm going to try and knock out at least a chapter every evening now.

Jimmy    4,105

Yeah, I'm in for this. I think I'll have my first book of the year, Sense of an Ending, which was bought for me by Liam, finished within a day or two as it's so easy to read and relatively short. I'd love to go for fifty - but I just know I'll end up falling short, I'll optimistically try for 35 and take it from there if I do complete it. 

• Like 1