Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Book 9 was 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay' by Michael Chabon

http://scalingthetbrpile.home.blog/2019/02/28/book-9-the-amazing-adventures-of-kavalier-and-clay-by-michael-chabon/

TL;DR A great, sprawling tale set during the Golden Age of comics in which two cousins' lives rise and fall alongside the art they so enjoy creating.

(It's many pages long, so that TL;DR doesn't really tell half of the story >_>)

I finished a Scanner Darkly yesterday. Not sure what I’ll get into next. 

You guys that have already read multiple books, how often do you read? 

25 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I finished a Scanner Darkly yesterday. Not sure what I’ll get into next. 

You guys that have already read multiple books, how often do you read? 

I read every day. Normally, at least an hour though possibly two.

Primarily, it is because my wife goes to bed earlier than I would do normally. It gives me a reason to go to bed to be with my wife, but not to go to sleep too early.

Also, it generally is something that I try and use as a means to stop me drinking. Can't really read if I'm drunk...

• Like 1

I usually only read during my lunch breaks at work, with an hour lunch now I should be able to get more reading done. 

I keep a book at home to also read but have been busy and haven’t as much as I want. 

Work is for novels where as informational is at home (mostly because I want to avoid any reason for somebody to give me shit over reading something too political).

I didn't realise "Look Who's Back" was a book - there's a film adaptation on Netflix, in a kind of Borat-y unscripted style, and it's fucking chilling in places.

13 minutes ago, Skummy said:

I didn't realise "Look Who's Back" was a book - there's a film adaptation on Netflix, in a kind of Borat-y unscripted style, and it's fucking chilling in places.

Yeah, my stepdad said it was really good.

I liked the book a lot. It is a realistic enough interpretation of what could happen, worryingly enough.

Trying to find the name (and author) of a book I found a few months back and wanted to read, but I lost the info and all I have at the moment is a description:

A detective (not sure if he's police or a private investigator) who is a vampire is trying to stop a serial killer who is also a vampire, without vampires existing being exposed to the public.  Its a modern times setting, and I believe it is also the first book of a series that has a few more volumes. I believe there is some fire (possibly a flaming pentacle?) on the cover, but I may be thinking of a different book.

Any help would be appreciated.

I read Junky by William S. Burroughs last week. It is pretty short to be fair but was a good read. I probably should have read his stuff years ago but just never did. 

Finished Dark Hollow, and I definitely recommend it. It is pretty creepy but entertaining without going over the top. Not much gore in the book until the characters head toward the final confrontation with the monster. My only gripe is that I saw part of the ending coming a mile away, but it doesn't detract from the story at all.

Also has the most....interesting....way for the monster to be unleashed:

A woman gives a blowjob to a statue of a Satyr, which causes it to come to life as a flesh and blood being! (You do find out where the Satyt came from and how it ended up a statue at a point later in the book.)

*edited to add* Here's what I've read, so far: https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/14652821

Edited by GhostMachine