Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Liam

As far as this challenge is concerned, I've definitely made the rather stupid decision to commit to reading lots of very long books.

I'm currently working my way through "Keeping On Keeping On" by Alan Bennett, and it's bloody lovely, as I knew it would be, but just barely ever finding the time to read it.

I finished Highly Illogical Behaviour by John Corey Whaley, which was about a teen with agoraphobia and this girl that is trying to get him to go outside for her own selfish benefits. It was a really fun read. Nothing mindblowing. Then I read Losing It by Emma Rathbone, which was about a 26 year old virgin stuck both personally and professionally in her life, it spoke to me in a way because it did remind me about some of my early twenties. 

I kinda wanna do a Stephen King book now, so debating Mr. Mercedes.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a shame about the Armada reviews. Just read the plot and it sounds like The Last Starfighter.

I'm just over halfway through The Stand now and I can't get enough - it slowed down a bit but I sped through that section last night and I'm ready for more. The whole weight of the situation and everything that needs to be resolved is actually stressing me out in a way because there is so much to come together and I really want to see how it does.

On Monday, February 06, 2017 at 14:26, apsham said:

So is it cheating to supplement with an audio book? I'm really interested in The Stand but I don't get enough time to sit down and read it, but I have lots of time at work where I need something to listen to.

Books a books a book. The limitation is what you put on yourself ultimately. 

I've read 3 more since I last posted but will add info when not on my phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, apsham said:

I'm just over halfway through The Stand now and I can't get enough - it slowed down a bit but I sped through that section last night and I'm ready for more. The whole weight of the situation and everything that needs to be resolved is actually stressing me out in a way because there is so much to come together and I really want to see how it does.

Once you're done, seek out the movie. It was actually a tv mini-series, but was really good. In fact, it is my favorite tv adaptation of Stephen King, hands down. (Mainly because most tv adaptations are garbage. I find the tv version of The Shining pretty much unwatchable....)

@Liam Yeah Redshirts was decent fun.

This is really stupid, but...you know the main thing that bothered me about it? A lot of it is written in a very similar style to how I used to write (back when I was a student with nothing better to do than write silly stories)...and that meant that I was hypersensitive to all its little flaws that I used to criticise myself over. :shifty:

I'm sure a person without this stupid problem would enjoy it. It's no Douglas Adams (what is?), but that's the kind of ballpark it's in.

2 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

@Liam Yeah Redshirts was decent fun.

This is really stupid, but...you know the main thing that bothered me about it? A lot of it is written in a very similar style to how I used to write (back when I was a student with nothing better to do than write silly stories)...and that meant that I was hypersensitive to all its little flaws that I used to criticise myself over. :shifty:

I'm sure a person without this stupid problem would enjoy it. It's no Douglas Adams (what is?), but that's the kind of ballpark it's in.

You read his other stuff? I've never checked anything but always fancied it.

• Silver Surfer: Requiem (2007) by J. Michael Straczynski - ★★★★★
  • Nextwave: Agents of HATE (2006) by Warren Ellis - ★★★★
  • X-Factor: Madrox (2004) by Peter David - ★★★★★
  • Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1 (1992) by Peter David - ★★★★
  • X-23: Innocence Lost (2005) by Craig Kyle - ★★★
  • Annihilation, Book Three (2006) by Keith Giffen - ★★

Challenge says I'm 2 books behind schedule. Feeling the pressure!

I signed up for this purely to add the two books I read whilst I was on holiday, Ready Player One, which others here appear to have read reading back through the topic and I agree is fantastic, and The Knife of Never Letting Go, which isn't bad as far as YA fiction goes but the start felt slow. I kinda half-worked it out about two thirds of the way through but it still manages to throw twists at you and the second half is a lot easier to get drawn into as the world fleshes out more.

Also, thanks for the warnings about Armada, I was tempted to go look for it once I finished RPO :P 

Haven't decided what book 3 of my target 25 is gonna be yet, but I've picked up the first two books in the Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani. Anyone read them and care to share their thoughts?

I'd like to recommend a series: The Vampire Files, by P.N. Elrod. The series is about a private investigator named Jack Fleming, who also happens to be a vampire, and takes place in 1930's Chicago. Jake is actually a pretty nice guy, and the books would make a good tv or movie series provided they had a decent budget...and that SyFy isn't involved.

21 hours ago, Jericode said:

I signed up for this purely to add the two books I read whilst I was on holiday, Ready Player One, which others here appear to have read reading back through the topic and I agree is fantastic, and The Knife of Never Letting Go, which isn't bad as far as YA fiction goes but the start felt slow. I kinda half-worked it out about two thirds of the way through but it still manages to throw twists at you and the second half is a lot easier to get drawn into as the world fleshes out more.

Also, thanks for the warnings about Armada, I was tempted to go look for it once I finished RPO :P 

Haven't decided what book 3 of my target 25 is gonna be yet, but I've picked up the first two books in the Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani. Anyone read them and care to share their thoughts?

The Chaos Walking trilogy is excellent, personally.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 04:12, GhostMachine said:

I'd like to recommend a series: The Vampire Files, by P.N. Elrod. The series is about a private investigator named Jack Fleming, who also happens to be a vampire, and takes place in 1930's Chicago. Jake is actually a pretty nice guy, and the books would make a good tv or movie series provided they had a decent budget...and that SyFy isn't involved.

Why so down on SyFy? Defiance, The Expanse and Dark Matter were/are all good!