Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Jimmy    4,105

I'm picking up the a pace a little now. I just finished The Pearl by John Steinbeck, which was a treat to read after reading something as dense as White Teeth. I've always loved Steinbeck's style (Grapes of Wrath is my favourite) and The Pearl is simplistic, incredibly effective and has a great ever-present feeling of foreboding running through it. It's nice to break things up occasionally with a nice 90 page novel. Anyway, moving onto My Bloody Project next! 

Liam    4,552
6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'm picking up the a pace a little now. I just finished The Pearl by John Steinbeck, which was a treat to read after reading something as dense as White Teeth. I've always loved Steinbeck's style (Grapes of Wrath is my favourite) and The Pearl is simplistic, incredibly effective and has a great ever-present feeling of foreboding running through it. It's nice to break things up occasionally with a nice 90 page novel. Anyway, moving onto My Bloody Project next! 

I loved My Bloody Project. Excellent book.

Borson Reems    2,540

We need to discuss Nelson DeMille more. Love the tone he's gotten with the John Corey books.

GhostMachine    887

There's a pretty good story in the MatchUp anthology that has John Corey teaming up with Lisa Scottoline's character Bennie Rosato.

In fact, I recommend that particular anthology, and its predecessor, FaceOff.

Here's another interesting team up in MatchUp: Temperance Brennan and Jack Reacher. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31939834-matchup

There's one team up in it that's really a cheat:

The Liz Sansborough and Rambo story only has Rambo appearing on a television in it. Namely characters watching a Sylvester Stallone movie.[.spoiler]

• Like 1

Jimmy    4,105
On 8/11/2017 at 20:05, Liam said:

I loved My Bloody Project. Excellent book.

Yeah, I thought it was great. Such a quick, absorbing read. 

MDK    19,945

You guys should try The Phone Book.

Not much of a plot but the cast is amazing. 

Apsham    8,806

Currently reading Lords Of Chaos based off a recommendation from Last Podcast On The Left since they are covering the Norweigan Black Metal scene and it's an absolutely kickass read so far.

• Like 2

Liam    4,552
On 9/21/2017 at 13:47, Apsham said:

Currently reading Lords Of Chaos based off a recommendation from Last Podcast On The Left since they are covering the Norweigan Black Metal scene and it's an absolutely kickass read so far.

Ohhh. I own this and really enjoyed it until towards the end where it got a little bit too ideology heavy. That'd work for some people, but wasn't quite into it at that point.

Apsham    8,806
30 minutes ago, Liam said:

Ohhh. I own this and really enjoyed it until towards the end where it got a little bit too ideology heavy. That'd work for some people, but wasn't quite into it at that point.

Yeah that was my read of it too. First half was amazing though.