Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Liam

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

I read all the Harry Potter books. 

Her editor did an awful job. 

I think there was evidently a point where the series was already so popular that they were like "ah hell, she can do what she wants". This was not a responsible decision.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liam said:

I read all the Harry Potter books. 

Her editor did an awful job. 

They had the same problem as George Lucas with the Star Wars prequels, and George R.R. Martin with his later books. Either you have publishers too in awe of the creator to make cuts/suggestions that they would for any other author or, more likely, you have producers/publishers that know Harry Potter is hugely successful but don't know why Harry Potter is hugely successful, so don't dare suggest cutting anything out, in case the bit cut out turns out to be the magic formula.

• 4 weeks later...

If I finish off Half-Blood Prince in the next week (no reason why not), I'll have managed 13 out of 26. In other words, I set myself a 'half-measure' target of a book every 2 weeks and managed half of that. Consistent. :shifty: 

• Like 2

I read my one book this year. (H)

Actually, I probably read more than that, but the last one I really remember reading is Rhett & Link's Book Of Mythicality. It were a good book, blends autobiography and comedy and advice pretty well. If you're a fan of Rhett & Link or their YouTube morning show Good Mythical Morning, I'd recommend it.

I totally forgot I set up an account on this and rediscovered it about a week ago. I did actually read four which is better than I expected :shifty:

I've gone back and added everything I know I've read on the past and I think I'll give this an actual go next year to try for 25.

On 8/11/2017 at 08:38, Jimmy said:

I'm picking up the a pace a little now. I just finished The Pearl by John Steinbeck, which was a treat to read after reading something as dense as White Teeth. I've always loved Steinbeck's style (Grapes of Wrath is my favourite) and The Pearl is simplistic, incredibly effective and has a great ever-present feeling of foreboding running through it. It's nice to break things up occasionally with a nice 90 page novel. Anyway, moving onto My Bloody Project next! 

I love John Steinbeck, probably my favorite author. His style is great, his writing always really makes me feel like I can envision the settings he describes. I love the subject matter, especially with respect to stuff like Of Mice and Men, In Dubious Battle, and Tortilla Flat. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Christmas said:

I love John Steinbeck, probably my favorite author. His style is great, his writing always really makes me feel like I can envision the settings he describes. I love the subject matter, especially with respect to stuff like Of Mice and Men, In Dubious Battle, and Tortilla Flat. 

I've always wanted to read more Steinbeck as I spent several years teaching Of Mice and Men. 

2018 and I can finally set my new goal!

I wanted to try for 75 but I might hold off and update it to that at a later date. I set it for 50 and I think I'll do good until I reach 50.. upping it might be a way of keeping me going. And not feeling bad that at least 4 of those books are going to be Goosebumps ones from the anniversary set I got purchased for Christmas. :shifty:

• Like 1

I'm not setting myself a target this year, I don't think. My focus is on reading some of the bigger books I have, and setting a target often means I choose to read shorter books.

I might change my mind eventually, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

I want to read more. I'm going to try and read on the way to work instead of listening to podcasts since I can do that during the day.

I initially thought about one a month to start. I'll go with that and hope I can actually hit a little more. 

I hit 56 books, which is quite a bit fewer than I normally manage in a year. I definitely slowed up over the last few months.

This is what my year in books looked like;

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/10849273

4 hours ago, Little Skummer Boy said:

I hit 56 books, which is quite a bit fewer than I normally manage in a year. I definitely slowed up over the last few months.

This is what my year in books looked like;

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/10849273

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/21706655

Good idea. Here's mine.