Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Liam

The only Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie I've read is "Dear Ijeawele", which I bought for my cousin, and that was nice. I've been meaning to read some of her proper books, so might check that one out.

I've been pretty slow with my reading so far this year, only on book number two of the year. The first was Stephen Fry's Heroes, which I thought was a vast improvement over Mythos, though I'm still not really entirely sure what the point of it all is. I'm currently reading a biography of Hergé, the author of Tintin, and while there are some really interesting tidbits in there, it's way too quick to hand-wave and make excuses for his early fascist sympathies, and to excuse the more problematic aspects of the series.

• Like 1

Book 5 was 'The Gallows Pole' by Benjamin Myers.

http://scalingthetbrpile.home.blog/2019/02/05/book-5-the-gallows-pole-by-benjamin-myers/

TL;DR an interesting historical fiction about the Cragg Vale Coiners, an 18th Century group in Yorkshire who used to clip coins to create new ones. Fascinating, beautifully described and quite violent in places.

Book 2 for me was Kindred by Octavia E. Butler, which I believe Liam has also read before. It's been a while since a book left me speechless, but this was one of those books for me. I don't know if I've ever read anything that is both so horrifying and overwhelmingly compassionate. 

Broadly, it's about Dana, an African-American woman in 1976, who finds herself transported back to 1815 whenever Rufus, the son of a plantation owner, finds his life in danger.

14 hours ago, Liam said:

Book 5 was 'The Gallows Pole' by Benjamin Myers.

http://scalingthetbrpile.home.blog/2019/02/05/book-5-the-gallows-pole-by-benjamin-myers/

TL;DR an interesting historical fiction about the Cragg Vale Coiners, an 18th Century group in Yorkshire who used to clip coins to create new ones. Fascinating, beautifully described and quite violent in places.

Ooh this sounds great, might bump this up my list. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Book 2 for me was Kindred�by Octavia E. Butler, which I believe Liam has also read before. It's been a while since a book left me speechless, but this was one of those books for me. I don't know if I've ever read anything that is both so horrifying and overwhelmingly compassionate.�

Easily one of my favorite books I ever read for a class in high school, although its been far too long so I should revisit it soon.

Here is a google drive full of books/other media to read for Black History Month.  I've been flipping through it a little while I'm at work, going back and forth between reading some of the Black Marxist writings and the General History of Africa series, but there's lots of great stuff in here!

• Like 2

On 06/02/2019 at 13:23, LittleDaniel said:

Easily one of my favorite books I ever read for a class in high school, although its been far too long so I should revisit it soon.

Here is a google drive full of books/other media to read for Black History Month.  I've been flipping through it a little while I'm at work, going back and forth between reading some of the Black Marxist writings and the General History of Africa series, but there's lots of great stuff in here!

Nice, I'm gonna dig into some of that. 

Still putzing away at the Zinn book, just don't devote enough time to reading. I'm going back to work tomorrow so I should be able to start knocking out books easier (hour lunch break gives me longer to read). 

Book 9 was 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay' by Michael Chabon

http://scalingthetbrpile.home.blog/2019/02/28/book-9-the-amazing-adventures-of-kavalier-and-clay-by-michael-chabon/

TL;DR A great, sprawling tale set during the Golden Age of comics in which two cousins' lives rise and fall alongside the art they so enjoy creating.

(It's many pages long, so that TL;DR doesn't really tell half of the story >_>)

25 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I finished a Scanner Darkly yesterday. Not sure what I’ll get into next. 

You guys that have already read multiple books, how often do you read? 

I read every day. Normally, at least an hour though possibly two.

Primarily, it is because my wife goes to bed earlier than I would do normally. It gives me a reason to go to bed to be with my wife, but not to go to sleep too early.

Also, it generally is something that I try and use as a means to stop me drinking. Can't really read if I'm drunk...

• Like 1

I usually only read during my lunch breaks at work, with an hour lunch now I should be able to get more reading done. 

I keep a book at home to also read but have been busy and haven’t as much as I want. 

Work is for novels where as informational is at home (mostly because I want to avoid any reason for somebody to give me shit over reading something too political).

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading Dark Hollow,  by Brian Keene. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2042248.Dark_Hollow

So far, it is....interesting, to say the least. Reading it on my Kindle, so I can't say what page I am on, but I am roughly 29% in.

I didn't realise "Look Who's Back" was a book - there's a film adaptation on Netflix, in a kind of Borat-y unscripted style, and it's fucking chilling in places.

13 minutes ago, Skummy said:

I didn't realise "Look Who's Back" was a book - there's a film adaptation on Netflix, in a kind of Borat-y unscripted style, and it's fucking chilling in places.

Yeah, my stepdad said it was really good.

I liked the book a lot. It is a realistic enough interpretation of what could happen, worryingly enough.

Trying to find the name (and author) of a book I found a few months back and wanted to read, but I lost the info and all I have at the moment is a description:

A detective (not sure if he's police or a private investigator) who is a vampire is trying to stop a serial killer who is also a vampire, without vampires existing being exposed to the public.  Its a modern times setting, and I believe it is also the first book of a series that has a few more volumes. I believe there is some fire (possibly a flaming pentacle?) on the cover, but I may be thinking of a different book.

Any help would be appreciated.