2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

6 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Just have to be patient. Don't even have to give up anything. Do you think he'll get more money than Stanton? Am I wrong in remembering Stanton used to use a different first name?

He went by Mike before and yeah, likely Harper gets more money.

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I thought so! I thought maybe I was getting confused because there was another Mike Stanton. Is that why he changed it?

I think he just wanted to go by his given first name so he could rep his heritage, etc.

• Like 1

The Yankees pick up Stanton and now all I'm seeing are Jays fans talking about blowing it up by moving all of our in-their-prime players. I really don't understand how fans can see what's happened over recent seasons, with stacked teams under-performing, and scream that the sky is falling.

The Jays didn't have a great year, but they aren't a bad team. A good-to-great off season should keep us in the hunt, provided that injuries don't hamper us too badly. Giancarlo Stanton is a powerful bat and he really is very good... but if the Jays over-react and trade Josh Donaldson because of that pick-up, it's going to do major damage to the goodwill that they have with the fans... and with Rogers talking about potentially selling the team, now really isn't the time to be pulling that kind of garbage.

Stanton playing in the same lineup as Aaron Judge is fucking terrifying, but it wouldn't be the first time the Yankees or Sox completely loaded up, only to see a Toronto, Tampa or Baltimore perform considerably better. I think the major focus for the teams in the AL East should be to stay the course with what their plans have been. The addition of Stanton shouldn't change anyone's plans except for New York.

He likely won’t have another season like this past year, and we still have question marks with our rotation, and I have no idea what the hell to expect with Aaron Boone as manager, but I’m so friggin ready to get to spring training that it’s not even funny. Let’s skip everything and go right to March.

I am very meh on Jack Morris but Trammell not going in initially was a joke so I'm glad that wrong was made right. He was robbed of MVP in '87, and an injury-plagued 30's from having much closer to 3000 hits. His most comparable players were all Hall of Famers as well.

Morris had plenty of shots on the ballot and didn't get in for the right reasons, putting him in now just feels a little odd. Much better pitchers who aren't in the Hall. 

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

Jack Morris definitely deserves a spot...in the Hall of Above Average. 

Whereas Trammell I think wound up getting lost in the shuffle of a great generation of shortstops, people talk about Morris like was one of the greats of the 80s when he really wasn't close to that at all.

Yeah Morris is a great example of a guy who got in because of compiling. If you compare his career totals to a lot of HOFers you wind up thinking he belongs in. But man, when you look at his averages it's just a big fat no.

Trammell is the opposite. A guy who didn't get in initially because he lost out on his compiling years so his career totals didn't look as good as they should have. With the exception of Cal Ripken he was the best offensive SS of the 80s though, and with the exception of Ozzie and Ripken the best defensive SS of the 80s.