2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Rockies are going about it well. They have a very good lineup, but below average starting pitching. Pouring the money into the bullpen is probably a better idea cost-wise, it gives them the chance to make every game a 6-inning affair and with that lineup they certainly can.

A little over a third of HOF voters have made their ballots public so far.  When the balloting started I figured it'd be a four man class and so far the numbers look promising for it.  At minimum there will be at least three as Chipper's polling at 98.6%, Thome at 95.2%, and Vlad at 93.1% - all will go in with little issue.

Two others are above 75% right now - Edgar at 80.7% and Hoffman at 78.6%.  Hoffman was the guy I had projected being the fourth man in and the writers who don't reveal their ballots early tend to value saves, so I'm certain he'll go over the hump.  Edgar on the other hand is a very pleasant surprise.  So far he's gained 18 new votes from people who left him off of their ballots last year.  Much as the old school voters value saves I think him being a DH is going to hurt him in the later stages of balloting, but even if he falls short I think he's going to be close and he'll be well-positioned to go in next year during his 10th and final year on the ballot.

Bonds and Clemens are super close at 72.4% but again, the old guard voters are going to drag them down at the end.  They each still have four years left after this so I'm still hopeful sanity prevails and they both go in when all is said and done.

Mussina's churned out a strong start at 71.7%.  He'll probably finish somewhere in the 60s and continue gaining ground.  Schilling's also gone up from a year ago at 67.6% with several writers stating they didn't vote for him last year due to his inflammatory comments about baseball writers, calling them scumbags and saying they should be lynched.

Nobody else is even remotely close.  Larry Walker's the next closest and has gained a bunch of votes but is still miles away at 40%.

Mussina not being in the HOF is absurd. But the way it's shaping up if not this year then he probably makes it in the following one.

And then the Orioles have to awkwardly decide whether or not they retire his number, especially if he wears a Baltimore cap on his plaque. Though in all likelihood he won't have a team on it.