2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

I would assume an error only counts against a perfect game if it's a battery error. Other than that, why should the left fielder missing a catchable ball cost a pitcher a perfect game?

2 hours ago, Twist said:

It counts towards a perfect 9 though, no? If they'd have got the run in the first 9, and Hill finished with a no-hitter and the error he wouldn't have been credited a perfect game.

It would count against a Perfect Game but would not count against his No Hitter which are two different things. So yes, he wouldn't have been credited with the Perfect Game but still would have had the no hitter.

• Like 1

Even if Hill had gotten through the 10th with the no-hitter intact, the Dodgers were on the road.  Even if they scored in the 11th Hill would've needed to pitch a hitless bottom of the 11th to get him the no-hitter.  They were never going to push him into an 11th inning of work so it would've been, at best, a combined no-no.

• Like 1

I think I just have a bit of a different opinion on no hitters and perfect games than some. The pitcher should absolutely get the majority of the credit. But the position players are just as important in making history. Does it suck that Hill's teammates couldn't score, sure, but that's baseball. 

I will never say that the fielders and batters aren't equally important. I just think it's sad and frustrating for a pitcher to have such an incredible, dominating solo performance and his team that averages 5.5 runs a game couldn't even get the one run needed to put him in the record books. 

21 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Michael Conforto dislocated his shoulder trying to hit a fastball, because he let go of the bat too early with his top hand. Ouch.

Ron Darling, who's seen a lotttttt of baseball in his time, his first words after the injury were "I've never seen that before in my life."

The Mets, who replaced Conforto on the roster with the returning Jeurys Familia, we're playing tonight with a 3-man bench.  

Top of the first inning, Cespedes pulls up lame and he's out of the game.  The Mets now literally have only 2 outfielders on their 25-man roster and have a backup infielder playing LF.

I didn't think 2009 could ever be topped on the misery scale, but it has been.  This is the worst season I've ever experienced as a fan.  It's not even close.

What did folks think of Player's Weekend? I liked that guys could have a nickname on their jersey and wear different shoes & stuff. I really liked the thank you patch.

Some of the nicknames were super silly, but whatever. I liked it, especially for a game that takes tradition too seriously sometimes.