2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

Can't imagine willingly becoming a Mets fan.  You'll get maybe 1 or 2 good years but then have to sit through 5 or more years of shit before you get a taste of being good again.

If I could quit, I would.  But I can't.  I could never root for another team but I could also never just watch a whole baseball season with zero rooting interest.  I was obsessed with the Knicks as a kid and once they got to a level of shit that middle school-aged me could no longer handle, I detached myself from the entire sport.

Would never want to reach the point of "ugh, I don't care anymore" because baseball rules and it's still one of my biggest passions.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 10:30, Busch Strowman said:

It's September 1st.  Which means it's time for every baseball writer under the sun to write their annual article about expanded rosters being unfair.

I wish that each game was locked to a 25 man roster. While teams would still sit their starters, I think it's better than being able to utilise 40 guys. Actually, even better would be each series. 

Matt Harvey's back from the DL. Already given up seven runs and it's only the second inning.

I've never seen a pitcher crash and burn to the degree that Harvey has.  Went from pitching one of the best games of his career in Game 5 of the 2015 World Series to doing absolutely nothing for two seasons, all while avoiding a much-needed minor league demotion to protect his massive ego.  And he was getting roughed up by Single A hitters in all of his minor league rehabilitation starts last month.

Since he has no trade value I honestly would be fine with the Mets non-tendering him this winter.  It won't happen.  They're going to give him one last chance to salvage his career before free agency.  But I'd frankly rather just cut ties now and let someone else deal with him.  I've seen nothing to suggest he's a Major League quality pitcher anymore.

• Sad 1

I just feel like I am consistently disappointed by Matt Harvey. Horrible. But I don't wanna think about my Mets right now. Anybody think Stanton is gonna reach the 60 home run mark this year? He just hit his 52nd, I feel like its definitely a possibility. 

On 9/2/2017 at 11:30, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I wish that each game was locked to a 25 man roster. While teams would still sit their starters, I think it's better than being able to utilise 40 guys. Actually, even better would be each series. 

I always thought this was a good idea. Having an active roster as well as an inactive roster for each game. Problem is 4 starting pitchers are likely to always be inactive, so it kind of gives teams the flexibility we are trying to take away. I also understand the reasoning why, but most managers and people in baseball will tell you they'd rather have expanded rosters in April instead of September.

I do like expanded rosters, they give a lot of guys a chance to play major league ball for the only time in their careers. They also are better for player health since it gives the flexibility to bench a regular if the season's lost.

Yeah, it gives losing teams a chance to really assess their options for the next year.  Some teams will also make it a point to call up a veteran from their AAA team as a "thank you" for putting in a season in the minors.  I remember the Mets giving Val Pascucci a September call-up in 2011.  He was 32 years old at the time and his only other major league experience had been with the Expos in 2004.  Just made for a cool sub-plot for the final month of a lost season.

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

Giancarlo Stanton hits #53. He's eight away from tying Maris at 61, with the whole month left to go. 

Included among the Marlins' remaining schedule are eight games against the Braves, three against the Phillies, three against the Mets, and a three game set in Coors.

I don't think he'll get 21 more in a month, that would be pretty mental.  But with all of those bad NL East clubs there may be several multi-HR games in there.  I could see him getting to the high 60s.

I picked the Mets as my dad used to tape channel 4s sports coverage. First baseball I ever saw was Buckner's fuck up in '86,followed by the music video Let's Go Mets, which is objectively the best team song ever. Plus they wear blue and orange like the Bears, which is as good a reason as any for a kid. But I've only had a passing interest, my parents brought me a Yankees jersey back from New York one year and I dabbled with just supporting everything Chicago. Figured I'd actually commit this year and liked the look of the then-healthy pitching staff and I knew of Cabrera and Reyes. 

I'm sure everything will be fine. 

1 minute ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

They'll definitely still take the division. No way the Diamondbacks make up that 9.0 game difference in less than a month. Feel free to quote this when I'm probably totally wrong at the end of the season.:P

The EWB Mets fan contingent just spontaneously burst into tears at this post.

• Like 1