2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

23 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

To be fair, that last day of the 2011 season was the most beautiful thing ever. 

If the stars align we might have another day like that this year, with so many teams in the AL in the hunt for the 2nd wild card and then St. Louis surging in the NL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Meacon said:

I think we can beat Minnesota, though, assuming they get that second spot.

And I'm hoping that Cleveland pulls an Oakland, and blow their load on this win streak and have nothing left for playoff time.

Gotta keep da' hope, playa. Holla. 

I know Jaime Garcia would never be the guy they'd go with in the All-Star game, but I would love if he is somehow in involved in beating the Twins. 

I can't articulate why...I just don't like this Rhys Hoskins guy for some reason.

Last night's Indian win was awesome...literally felt like a World Series game in early September.  It's making me more and more excited for the playoffs, especially with the Yankees also playing great ball.  Should they get past the Twins in the Wild Card Game, I think Yankees - Indians is going to be an absolutely amazing ALDS match-up.

Yankees clinch a playoff spot (a wild card game).  If you told me in the beginning of the year, I would have been thrilled.  Now I'm just bitter that we couldn't catch Boston despite how well we've been playing. 

The Wild Card game is a crap shoot...but I really feel like we can hang with any team in a Best of 7. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 07:22, Cactus Drags said:

Sucks Jay Bruce got traded, but it was cool to see him walk off the record breaking win for Cleveland. 

I think its crazy how things can turn out. Scott Hatteberg hit the home run that clinch the record-breaking streak by the A's. Scott Hatteberg's career also basically ended when the Reds cut Hatteberg to call up Jay Bruce. And then you have Bruce, all these years later, hitting the home run that break's the A's streak. Unbelievable. Also, google Scott Hatteberg and the first pic that comes up is Chris Pratt as Scott Hatteberg. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Good chance today is Jose Bautista's last game at Rogers Centre as a Blue Jay. Kind of surreal. 

Why is it a foregone conclusion he leaves this winter anyway?  Did he announce he's retiring?  With guys like Donaldson, Tulowitzki, and Martin still there it's not like they are in a rebuild.

Jose has been pretty bad this year. He has a mutual option, which is pretty much a lock to be turned down by the Jays' front office. They already have the oldest average age of any MLB team. Bautista would need to move to 1st or DH, but with Smoak playing great and Morales hogging up the DH spot, there's just not room for him. 

Even if the Jays found a way to get rid of Morales, surely they would rather have the DH flexibility for Tulo, Donaldson and Martin than the need to have Bautista there. 

Bautista would need to take a pretty lofty pay cut and be willing to be a part timer for the Jays to consider re-signing him.