2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

Nice of the Braves to pretend they're trying to compete this year after robbing the taxpayers of Cobb County for a new stadium.

Also, speaking of people who have robbed taxpayers, Marlins might be getting sold by Loria for $1.6 billion. Lot of hoops still to jump through for that though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

The Braves continue their youth movement as they acquire 35-year old Brandon Phillips from the Reds.

They are fully expecting the new stadium to sell tickets, which it very well will.  In the meantime, the older peeps can tutor the young'uns and hopefully we can crest .500 next season.

I am still very salty regarding any Atlanta sports.  I could nourish all the deer with the amount of salt I contain right now.

• Like 1

I don't like the trade the Reds made. Because one of the two pitchers they acquired, Andrew McKirahan,  not only was suspended 80 games and fined almost half his salary back in 2015 for testing positive for PEDs, but has also had Tommy John surgery twice and didn't pitch at all last year due to that. The other, Carlos Portuondo, has only pitched 34 innings in the minors and didn't exactly have a great record pitching in Cuba. (16 wins, 26 losses, with a 5.75 ERA)   I know the Reds need pitching, but these two prospects are too risky for me to be excited about. The Reds should not have taken McKirahan.

On 2/10/2017 at 12:02, The Canadian Destroyer said:

Minor moves sure, but I'm liking the Jays bullpen additions. JP Howell and Joe Smith are nice pick-ups, especially this late and considering how much relievers are making these days. 

I like those moves. I don't like starting the season with Melvin and Carrera as a platoon in left. Hopefully they find someone else to play there  - maybe Gourriel?

30 minutes ago, Toe said:

I like those moves. I don't like starting the season with Melvin and Carrera as a platoon in left. Hopefully they find someone else to play there  - maybe Gourriel?

I'm excited to see what Pompey can do this year. He might be a good option to play left if he can hit during spring.

6 minutes ago, The Canadian Destroyer said:

I'm excited to see what Pompey can do this year. He might be a good option to play left if he can hit during spring.

If Pompey can't break through this year, he probably is never going to break through. I'd rather let him play, for better or worse, then Melvin or Carrera. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 08:49, Cloudy said:

They're saying speed and foggy conditions may have been a factor in the accident that killed Yordano Ventura. No sign of alcohol at the scene, toxicology tests will take 3 weeks to complete. 

Also, holy shit, the DR's laws about drunk driving are crazy. Unless you're a "professional driver" (trucker, taxi driver, etc.) there's no maximum limit to the amount of alcohol you can drink before operating a vehicle.

ALSO also, in less sad baseball news, the Dodgers have acquired Logan Forsythe and MLB.com is reporting that the Cubs have acquired Brett Anderson.

Ventura's tox results won't be made public, and the Royals have stated that it will "take months" to figure out his contract. If he was legally drunk, there's a clause in it saying that his family won't get any of his remaining contract money. However, if the toxicology reports indicate that he was under the legal limit, his family is entitled to the money.