2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

Still heartbroken about last night...it must irritate everyone to see Yankee fans like myself say though that despite the loss I am so optimistic and happy about this team going forward (sounds like a cop out...but true).  Everyone, except maybe Castro, had their moment in the playoff and got major experience.

I'd like to see them add Jay Bruce for DH and maybe a utility infielder going into next year (Neil Walker)...let the Toddfather go as much as I loved him...and gear up for another postseason run.

World Series should be great...it's cool knowing that in one scenario Kershaw gets a ring...the other scenario guys like Verlander, Beltran & McCann finally get one.  I want the Astros to win, but I think the Dodgers win in 5.

So the best offense meets the best everything else. It should be a fun series. Astros will need to get to LA pitching early as their pen is reminiscent of the 08 Phillies or the 02 Angels in just making the game 5 or 6 innings long. And the addition of a DH in some games might help mask the absence of Seager (if he can't play) with the Dodgers lineup. 

Rooting interest I'm kind of split as both teams have guys I'd like to see finally get a ring, but I'm sure as I think on it more Beltran, Verlander, and McCann plus my long-time love of fellow short guy Jose Altuve means I'll start cheering more and more for Houston. 

But game 1 on Tuesday should be great! Keuchel vs Kershaw on the game's biggest stage. I might faint from excitement!

15 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I feel like I'm punishing myself by missing some probably great baseball but I'm not ready to watch yet, Maybe later in the series

Yeah I'm with you. I'm sure the series will be great, but I'm done with baseball for the year. No interest in watching the WS at all. I'll come back once free agency starts. Until then, it's football time.

Even though the Yankees got bounced I can't help but watch and love the World Series.  While it's not as big of a deal as it once was there is something so special and historic to me about the World Series.

These are two good teams...a  lot of high quality players looking to get their first ring.  I'll be watching...and I think it's going to be the Dodgers' year, but I'd prefer to see Verlander/Beltran/Altuve get rings.

5 hours ago, damshow said:

We're gonna have the hottest playoff game on record tonight it would appear. 

Waiting for @DMN to chime in with LA County's official slogan "But it's a dry heat".

We're not Phoenix, but it has been a dry heat.

LA isn't desert, though. City I grew up in actually used to be a marsh. I think we're supposed to be like the Mediterranean climate. Usually dry and not too hot.

8 hours ago, DMN said:

We're not Phoenix, but it has been a dry heat.

LA isn't desert, though. City I grew up in actually used to be a marsh. I think we're supposed to be like the Mediterranean climate. Usually dry and not too hot.

I was told by someone who lives out there it's *technically* a desert but due to the coolness of the Pacific Ocean it has actually made the basin fertile grounds for agriculture, before they built a gigantic city on it LA was a massive agricultural community. It was interesting, California is filled with very unique, localized climates because of the Pacific Ocean and its many hills and mountains.

Also that game last night was super brisk, love me a good pitcher's duel. It was a nice treat to go to bed at my normal time while also having seen all 9 innings of baseball.

Don't know who I'm rooting for yet, I think I'd be happy with either team winning. The Dodgers have Kershaw and Brandon Morrow (who's living with Type 1, so I have a soft spot for him) while the Astros have Altuve, Correa and Reddick. 

It would be neat for the Astros to win after the hurricane, though. Love feel good stories like that 

So my first year in a Strat baseball league is over. I was one of two expansion teams and we finished 62-100. The other expansion team finished 63-99, so I get first pick of the draft woo hoo!

I'm in the hunt for starting pitching help and a first baseman. So I sent out a message to the league today saying "Hey, my whole bullpen is available, looking for pitching/1st base."

I get a response back from someone who wants three of my bullpen pitchers: Adam Warren, Steve Cishek, and Tyler Clippard.

The guy offers me Jake Odorizzi (yay!) and Chris Davis (lol). I say I love Odorizzi but I don't want Davis. I want Odorizzi and Josh Bell. He says, "No way. If you want Josh Bell, you need to give up your first round pick." My first round pick is the #1 overall, so I flat out say "Nah, too rich for my blood." So he counters with Odorizzi, Josh Bell for my three bullpeners and my 2nd and 3rd round picks. Again, I decline. I'm an expansion team and I need all the early round picks I can get. We go back and forth switching out other bullpen pitchers, and him throwing in other crappier starting pitching options. Finally, after six hours of e-mails, I flat out say, "You know what. I may just hold on to my picks and my bullpen guys." And stop checking my e-mails. I'm not mad, but we're clearly not seeing things on the same level. 

This is around 6/6:30. So I hang out with my kids, eat dinner, help my oldest study for her math test, and put them to bed around 8:30. Nine o'clock I check my e-mails and there's like five e-mails from the guy saying things like "Wait, hold on! I think we're close!" And the next four e-mails are him offering different kinds of offers. Eventually the last e-mail has this offer:

Adam Warren, Steve Cishek, and Tyler Clippard for Jake Odorizzi, Josh Bell, and his 3rd round pick.

Somehow, someway I got an extra draft pick more out of the deal than I had originally asked him almost ten hours earlier. I would've accepted Odorizzi/Bell without the draft pick, but my "negotiating skills" of just ignoring him, had him crack and give me more than what I had even asked. :lol: 

Also I know I said I wouldn't watch the World Series, but when I got an alert saying it was going into extra innings I turned it on. And holy crap am I glad I did. This has been nuts. 

• Like 1