Things you hate about sports you love

GhostMachine

I'm talking about the way they conduct business, rules of the game, etc. 

Mine:

College football - there are far too many bowl games. Teams that are 6-6 at the end of the season should be at home practicing to get better for next year. Not playing in a bowl game. 

NASCAR - I hate the Chase. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Also, I find it pathetic that someone can win the championship without even winning a race. 

MLB - Needs a salary cap. A few years ago, Bud Selig said parity works, and that's bullshit. The luxury tax means nothing, when you've got huge market teams would can spend money like its water and not worry about the tax, while you've got small market teams that can't keep their star players because the larger market teams can afford to spend so freely. Also, any player even suspected of using PEDs should be banned from the Hall of Fame. Pete Rose should get in before McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, etc. And I don't even want him in the Hall of Fame despite being a Reds fan. 

NFL - Needs some rules in place to deal with assholes on the field. Multiple unsportsmanlike conduct and unnecessary roughness penalties should lead to ejections and suspensions. And I'm talking during the season, not just one game. Also, the way they handle helmet to helmet hits is idiotic. If an offensive player lowers their head at the very last second before impact, then there should be no penalty on the defensive player at all, OR it should be on the offensive player. You'd have to be The Flash to adjust to not make it a helmet to helmet in that situation.

NBA - I'm betting some NHL fans might agree with me (I don't watch Hockey), since its a similar situation, but its stupid that half the league makes the playoffs. 

Sports in general: There needs to be better reviewing of referees and more accountability on their part. In baseball, Joe West and Angel Hernandez should be unemployed. When a team or individual wins a game due to referee errors (especially multiple errors), there should be more suspensions and/or firings, plus fines on top of it. (Blatantly blow a call that affects the outcome of a game? Then you should be banned from working any games involving whoever got screwed for the rest of the season. Or the entire next season, if it was a postseason game.) Should be more automatic use of instant replay/booth reviews the last few minutes of a game.

Owners: If you're only interested in making money and not even attempting to be competitive, sell your damn team to someone who gives a damn about winning.

Individuals:

Jim Irsay and Dan Snyder: I get the Jerry Jones hate (Hell, the Cowboys are my team and I hate him, too). But if you don't hate them, too, there's something wrong with you. Irsay is an asshole who put up a mistress in a house he bought with team money, got busted for DUI, and badmouthed Peyton Manning after deciding to trade him. Snyder is a lousy owner who never should have hired Mike Shanahan to coach the team and is so fucking greedy he was going to charge people to watch the team's practices....while the team was lousy. 

Danica Patrick. The hell with her. She's not the first female driver to be in NASCAR, and she's just a marketing tool. All these girls and women who see her as a role model need a new role model. If she hasn't won a race by now, she's probably never going to. If she finishes in the top 10, its usually due to people in front of her wrecking. I hope at some point another female driver joins NASCAR and wins one of her first five races, so people see Patrick as the waste of a driver's seat that she is. Also heard plenty of reports from people who've met her that she's cold or stuck up, which doesn't help.

Ndamukong Suh - dirty motherfucker who should have been kicked out the league, not given a clean slate.

Alex Rodriguez - lying, PED using piece of garbage who should never be let anywhere near the Hall of Fame.

Joe Paterno - Yes, he's dead, but....he should really be kicked out the College Football Hall of Fame, and those wins stripped again. No way he didn't know what was going on at PSU.

Mark Sanchez - How he has a job in the NFL, yet Tim Tebow does not, is beyond me. Sanchez should be in the Arena League right now. (I'm not saying I want Tebow back in the NFL, just that if any player belongs there less than him, its Buttfumblecus.)

Joe West and Angel Hernandez - Two MLB refs who should both be unemployed. One loves to get involved/make it all about him, while the other is borderline incompetent.

Roger Goodell - Do I even have to say why? (Bonus cool points to the NFL if his eventual replacement's last name is Gordon....)

Every PED/Steroids using motherfucker to ever play a game. You do NOT deserve to be in the Hall of Fame of your sport. Ever. So many baseball players I liked (Clemens, McGwire, Sosa) being guilty is why baseball is now no longer my favorite sport. (Well, that and the lack of knuckleball pitchers....)

Bandwagon fans and fans who give support to a different team than the home one, just because they're doing better. I'm in Knoxville, TN, where the University of Tennessee is located. Yet, i see a lot of people sporting Alabama gear, whether its clothing or stickers on their cars. I've also seen posts by people on Facebook who are from the state yet support the Tide, and are native Tennesseans with no connection to Alabama. I personally know a few Bama fans, who've never worn Vols colors, and if the Tide ever turns to crap and the Vols start doing good, they will all catch hell if they suddenly show up wearing orange. I will call them all out on it, in private and in public. I also know a few people with no real allegiances to teams in various sports (one does have an NBA team he's a diehard fan of, but that's it), but will just toss their support behind whatever team is hot at the moment, despite not being casual fans who only watch the postseason. 

Alabama Crimson Tide - How much do I hate them? Well, I wouldn't yell their battle cry if you stuck a gun to my head, and if they played a game against a foreign team, I'd be for the foreign team. I hate the Tide more than anything. (I dislike but respect the Florida Gators, but I outright loathe the Crimson Tide.)

Ohio State - Dirty team who got an upgrade, rather than punishment, when Urban Meyer became their head coach after Jim Tressel. 

Notre Dame - Overfuckingrated. They may be the biggest Catholic college in the country, but its not fair that they have a tv deal with CBS when they've been garbage for years and are living off a legacy from 80 years ago.

Los Angeles Clippers - You can blame this hatred on former commissioner David Stern, because CP3 is on the wrong L.A. team thanks to that son of a bitch. As long as Chris Paul is a Clipper, the hell with them.

New York Yankees - See my comments about the Tide. Ditto for the Yankees. If a player I like goes to the Yankees, I hope their career turns to mud until they retire or switch teams.

Philadelphia Eagles - Not just because they're in the same division as the Cowboys, but because Eagles fans pissed me off back in the 90s when Michael Irvin suffered what turned out to be a career ending injury. 

Edited by GhostMachine

Football:

• Diving is my most hated thing. There are easy ways to clamp down on it but nobody has bothered.
  • West Ham
  • FIFA speaks for itself.
  • Agents are needed, I guess, but there are lots of shitty ones.
  • The importance that British football puts in its captain.
  • West Ham.
  • Third place in the CL group stage that lets you have a crack at a shittier European Cup.
  • Ballon D'or. Until Ronaldo and Messi retire it will always be one of those two.
  • West Ham.

• Like 1

American sports: Rewards for failure/no real consequences for being shit. In many other team sports the 'prize' for coming last is relegation or demotion to a lower standard of competition. In American sports you get rewards (although I'm sortof aware the NHL has changed this to an extent).

• Like 1

NFL: The ridiculous amount of commercial breaks. Every change of possession, even if it's a three and out that takes all of two minutes of air time leads right into a further two minutes of the same six commercials you're going to have to watch over and over for the next three hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

American sports: Rewards for failure/no real consequences for being shit. In many other team sports the 'prize' for coming last is relegation or demotion to a lower standard of competition. In American sports you get rewards (although I'm sortof aware the NHL has changed this to an extent).

I completely agree with that. Participation trophies for kids are bullshit and send the wrong message. And I hate it when teams take a dive so they can get higher in the draft. Its not fair to the fans. Especially when they've paid good money for tickets and a team chokes and/or benches star players so they lose and get higher (or even first pick) when the draft starts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I completely agree with that. Participation trophies for kids are bullshit and send the wrong message. And I hate it when teams take a dive so they can get higher in the draft. Its not fair to the fans. Especially when they've paid good money for tickets and a team chokes and/or benches star players so they lose and get higher (or even first pick) when the draft starts. 

Depends on how old they are. Kids should be playing sport because they enjoy it and it gets them active.

But the American way of professional sports is weird. In such a capitalistic country its weird that failure is rewarded. 

22 minutes ago, MDK said:

Depends on how old they are. Kids should be playing sport because they enjoy it and it gets them active.

But the American way of professional sports is weird. In such a capitalistic country its weird that failure is rewarded. 

Well, the idea behind it is obviously that they want to give smaller teams a chance to rebound and potentially get out of mediocrity, seeing there's no pyramid system to weed out the weak.

But if you look at the past five years, it's pretty obvious that it does little in the way of elevating teams back into contention. Unless you're the Cavs and get three first overalls in four years, and get the best player in the world to come back.

Looking at the five top fives, it really makes it even more painful...

Magic - 3x
Cavs - 3x
76ers - 3x
Bobcats/Hornets - 2x
Wizards - 2x
Suns - 2x
T-Wolves - 2x
Lakers - 2x
Hornets/Pelicans - 1x
Kings - 1x
Celtics - 1x
Bucks - 1x
Jazz - 1x
Knicks - 1x

Not even mentioning that nearly half the league has had a top 5 pick in the past five drafts, how many temas have went from that top five spot and reached the Playoffs/Contention in the past five years? The only one are the aformentioned Cavs who have had the pick of the litter since 2010, and only got over the hump by getting LeBron and Love.
Meanwhile you have the 76ers who are STILL in the lower percentile of teams in the East, which is historically the weaker division too. And the Orlando Magic are only one spot above them, wallowing in even more mediocrity.

You can make a case for the Pelicans/Kings, although they only had one top 5 pick both in the past five years, and they both have been fringe playoff teams at best.
And the Celtics are arguably the best case after the Cavs, who have been balling hard despite a massive rebuild and losing all their stars.
And then you have teams like the Lakers, Suns, Wolves who are still sucking balls despite getting top picks for their tanking effort.

... So yeah, even if shit teams are being rewarded with the biggest talents, they do fuck all with it.
But what would be a passable solution, because making it an open market will no doubt lead to many big teams filling their bench with the biggest names and getting even more a monopoly on success. On the other hand, the shit teams are unable to be not shit even when they get 3-4 great draft picks in a row... Unless you're Cleveland and only get out of shitsville through extraordinary means.

• Like 1

Most Sports

-Players being injured or just bad calls in general that lead to suspensions/sanctions after the fact that benefit every team that the offending team plays in the future but does absolutely nothing for the team that was infringed against.

In certain circumstances you'd be missing a player through injury, after a terrible tackle, for a few months so your team suffers but it's ok! The offending player got supsended.....which does what exactly for your team?

Rugby League

-Video technology leading to referees being too intimidated to make a call themselves even if it's an obvious one. So it's just endlessly sending it to the video ref often uncessarily.

-Golden point extra time, it's just a penalty goal attempt-fest.

-Back to the referees. The reluctance to send players off, even when they clearly deserve it for fear of being accused of 'ruining the game' by giving one team a player advantage.(kind of fits into the general complaint)

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Referees get worse the lower down you go. Try supporting a League Two team :lol:.

Ain't that the truth. I cant imagine how much worse it is in non-league. But I might be finding out soon...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Ain't that the truth. I cant imagine how much worse it is in non-league. But I might be finding out soon...

You'll get the super fat refs who just stand in the centre circle and don't move at all.