2017 Music Thread

RPS

Talk about 2017 music here.

The new XX album is fantastic. Love the use of samples throughout it. I wasn't a huge fan of their second album as it felt like a retread of their first album with no memorable moments, but this is great. 

I'm stuck in 2016, but since the album doesn't come out until later this month, fuck, Bad And Boujee is a great song.

27 minutes ago, RPS said:

Talk about 2017 music here.

The new XX album is fantastic. Love the use of samples throughout it. I wasn't a huge fan of their second album as it felt like a retread of their first album with no memorable moments, but this is great. 

It's really good. I haven't liked one of their album since the first one I think, but I'm a huge fan of this one. They're doing an outdoors gig in Montreal in May, I am debating going.

iLoveMakonnen, probably best known for "Club Goin' Up On A Tuesday", the song that got him noticed by Drake and signed to Drake's OVO Sound label, has come out as gay.

Oh, I thought this was already common knowledge. There was already something floating around about this, but I can't remember. Congrats anyway. 

• Like 1

I feel like Media Takeout or All Star Hip Hop like that had written a previous expose on him being gay and had proof from an ex-lover or something. But I might be making this up. 

According to Tony Iommi's Facebook page former Black Sabbath keyboard player Geoff Nicholls lost the battle with lung cancer today.

Nicholls started out as a member of the bitish Heavy Metal band Quartz in the 70s. He left them in 1979 to join Sabbath. That was right around the time Ozzy left the band and was replaced by Ronnie James Dio. He would be a member of the band for the next 25 years before being replaced by Osbourne's keyboard player Adam Wakeman in 2004. He also played keyboards on both solo albums by his former Sabbath bandmate Tony Martin.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perfume Genius is so amazing and so intense. His new album is definitely his best. If you like experimental singer songwriters, check him out. 

It's music-related but not really "music", but Nicki Minaj was on Twitter Saturday night offering to pay tuition for fans that messaged her. It all started with one person joking about it and Minaj replying positively, then others started @ing her and she'd reply asking for them to DM pertinent info so she could help. 

2 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

...does it have to be tuition or will student loans count too?

She said she would do this again "in a month or two".

PWR BTTM isn't doing well. After sexual assault allegations last week, they were dropped from their label, and now their label (Polyvinyl) is pulling all of their music. Off iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, Google Play Music, everything. They've also canceled all shows and Polyvinyl is even giving fans a refund if they bought their new album. A number of people have come forward with allegations, and one person spoke to Jezebel last week detailing their sexual assault by Ben Hopkins.

• 2 weeks later...