2017 Music Thread

RPS

I find out from a lot of different ways; recommendations from my girlfriend/friends/work colleagues, support acts from bands I've seen, magazines, social media, music channels, Spotify recommendations. There's tons of places to look around and find things.

A good way I tend to use is to see who bands you like are touring with or recommending.

On 9/4/2017 at 05:42, Arjen Robben said:

Where do people find out about new music/keep up with bands they like? I feel like I haven't listened to anything new in years, cause the place I used to use to know about new bands or new albums coming out closed and I just don't know where to look now.

I find the Spotify curated playlists for me terrible.  I find a band I really like on Spotify and search their similar artists or look at playlists they are featured on. Sometimes the similar artists are similar artists because they share a member of the band, but for the most part the similar artists are spot on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skummy said:

Love the new QOTSA single, is the rest of the album as good? If it helps, I think "Like Clockwork" is probably their strongest album.

Yeah, I think so. Mark Ronson was an inspired choice to bring on as a producer and I think he's helped the band find a different groove. 

2 hours ago, RPS said:

I find the Spotify curated playlists for me terrible.  I find a band I really like on Spotify and search their similar artists or look at playlists they are featured on. Sometimes the similar artists are similar artists because they share a member of the band, but for the most part the similar artists are spot on. 

It's weird, their actual "similar artists" thing never does it for me but the Discover Weekly playlist usually generates a song or two of interest. 

4 minutes ago, livid said:

It's weird, their actual "similar artists" thing never does it for me but the Discover Weekly playlist usually generates a song or two of interest. 

I hate the playlists because usually the songs are just random. It is never like a big single by an artist. It is usually some obscure album track that is usually fine, but not a stand out. 

With the similiar artists, when you click to play their, they sync up their most played (and therefore most popular) songs, which makes it easier to gauge if you like their sound or not. 

Discover Weekly has always been an absolute goldmine for me - a lot of the time it chooses stuff I already know and like, but given how rarely I use Spotify, that just shows the algorithm works. When it does come out with something I haven't heard before, it's almost always something really good, or a track by a band I'd been meaning to listen to. I don't think it's ever come up with anything I actively disliked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apsham said:

I just started keeping a playlist of all the Discover Weeklys that fit my taste, In two weeks it's already huge.

Pics of how huge it is. 

I generally do quite well out of the Apple Music equivalent of Discover Weekly. Though the last one suggested I listened to Joe McElderry off the X-Factor (the one that was kept off #1 by Rage Against A Machine) sing Any Dream Will Do. Didn't enjoy it particularly. J-Donovan's version is gospel.

I'm super behind in new punkish music, but AJJ put out a new ep last month.  It's pretty good, their slowest ballady release yet but there's some good ones on there, especially "Fuckboi."  Could've done without "My Crooked Leg" though.  It's nowhere near the heights of Knife Man but still nice to hear something new from them.

On 07/09/2017 at 20:16, Just Relegated said:

the ting go.. skrrra pap pap ka ka ka skidiki pap pap and a pu pu drrrr boom SKYAAA du du ku ku tun tun poom poom

Somebody reset Joe please.

On topic I'm hyped for the Astroid Boys debut album in a couple of weeks. Great to see some cool music coming out of Cardiff.

Stand Atlantic's new EP is pretty damn good too.