The thread where Kirkland bitches about Power Rangers.

=BK=

From what I'm hearing, I think I'd rather go watch Adi Shankar's grim and gritty Power Rangers video on Youtube (With James Van Der Beek as Rocky and Katee Sackhoff as Kimberly!) a few dozen times than watch the actual movie. Sounds like its rubbish.

8 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Uproxx's review of it makes it sound like it can't tell whether it wants to be gritty and real or campy and dumb. 

I think the conflicting trailers proved that unfortunately. Still interesting to see how the film unfolds when I see it this weekend.

No Amy Jo Johnson?  Aww :(

3 hours ago, Lint said:

No Amy Jo Johnson?  Aww :(

Amy was there but just didn't pose for pictures.

Some quick thoughts, copied over from a Whatsapp chat as I can't be arsed to articulate myself twice...

Spoiler

I sort of enjoyed it until I realised the Power Rangers actual 'morph' would only happen about 20 minutes before the end of the film. Then I got bored. The story itself is bland and really goes nowhere. I found Rita Repulsa underdeveloped, and don't get me started on the main plot point being fucking product placement.

It's a tonal clusterfuck, and the first joke being the insinuation that Jason wanked off a bull while I sat around three and four year old children was genuinely uncomfortable. They make a 'motherfucker' joke at one point. They imply one of the rangers requires piss tests due to a drug problem. Weird as fuck. Now, I would say they should've had a set of balls by making it a 15-rated teen comedic-drama but since the film was yet another two-hour trailer for the sequel, I think the most important thing for those involved was to just draw people in the cinema no matter what and hope for the best. Who was the film aimed at? Way too childish for adults, way too adult for children - it's a cynical attempt at being the next Transformers; hence why all the costume designs and colours and explosions look so dull and miserable.

And the 'gay Power Ranger' thing... It was even more cynical than the press release suggested. Trini doesn't even say she has 'girlfriend problems'; Zack asks her incidentally and she gives a non-committal shrug. So attract the LGBT audience but OH GOD DON'T FUCK OFF THE REDNECKS or whoever the fuck.

The Rita Repulsa stuff was quite scary, really good from a horror film standpoint, but totally inappropriate in a film screening consisting of 50% infants. What is the point of the BBFC anyway?

The moment those headlines came up I was like "oh, word?" and then I read the actual description of the scene and shrugged. In its own way, a casual acknowledgment of someone not being straight being possibility is kind of neat but the "first LGBT superhero" headlines are pretty opportunistic to say the least.

Yeah, the way it was hyped was way overblown. I was wondering why the film censorship board here didn't create any type of fuss for the supposed LGBT moment in Power Rangers when they were outright banning Beauty and the Beast. 

Having watched the film, it wasn't more than overhyped, there wasn't anything there. Trini didn't even acknowledge it, another one of the Rangers was the one who brought it up, and it kind of just got swept under the rug right after. 

However, there were many moments I did like. Having an Asian character with an Asian family that speaks nothing but their Asian language at home and it not being some big thing, but just considered absolutely normal was really nice. I liked some of the teenage soap stuff being done without any hint of sarcasm or hidden agenda, but presented as just regular problems for these kids, and the four of the five kids did have really good chemistry together on-screen. The fan service stuff was okay, my favorite being that they do say random shit while throwing spinning wheel kicks.

Rita was underdeveloped, the plot was really basic and tedious, sitting through a lot of exposition was horrible, and the worst part was

Spoiler

that they only spent 20 minutes as Power Rangers, while the first hour and forty minutes basically could be any other teenage superhero movie. 

Do they mention Trini's last name in the movie? I'm wondering if it's still Kwan even though she's not Asian anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/24/power-rangers-russia-age-restriction-lgbt-character

Milonov singled out the film’s director, Dean Israelite, and compared the film to fascist ideology. “If fascist ideology is banned in our country, then [movies by] the likes of Dean Israelite should be banned first thing,” he said, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Another legislator, Alexei Zhuravlev, said the film amounted to “gay propaganda” while speaking on the conservative television network Tsargrad, and criticised staff at the culture ministry for not being stricter on the film.

And as far as I know, I have no intention of seeing the film FYI, that the only hint of a LGBT character in the film is a short conversation where a person hints that they might be gay? I doubt there is a full on banging session with didlos and the like.

• 5 months later...

I watched the movie. Billy and Jason were the best ranger characters. Rita was wonderful. Movie was alright but I still prefer the old movie. 

• 4 weeks later...